The Student Room Group

A good Life after uni; does it depend on your family wealth?

Life after graduation hasn't been to kind to me. Primarily because I've been unable to land a good, stable graduate job afterwards.

I am employed but in a unskilled minimum wage paying role. I feel like I'm wasting my life, time, and efforts by been stuck here in this role.

I have been applying for a long time, and while ive had interviews; I have fallen short of employer expectations.

I have volunteered and worked in non-relevant fields; so I have a work history however, I dont have that much 'commercial' agency exp in my field.

Im sick of having to tell people again and again that im getting nowhere. Only so many times you can say that before you seem lazy. Fact is- im not! I worked hard in my degree, but I lack the right exp, and employers dont want to invest in training (unless you get onto grad scheme).

All around me I've noticed, people landing jobs or been successful due to a number or mix of the following:

1. Wealthy parents with money abled to pay you onto postgrad course to better your prospects, 1.1 - Or to go travelling.

2. You get lucky and somehow beat the odds.

3. You studied an industry specific vocational degree (ie the professions) leading to a secure job.

Ive just noted those that are most lucky fufilled requirements, had access to money which I otherwise dont have.
Original post by royal1990
Life after graduation hasn't been to kind to me. Primarily because I've been unable to land a good, stable graduate job afterwards.

I am employed but in a unskilled minimum wage paying role. I feel like I'm wasting my life, time, and efforts by been stuck here in this role.

I have been applying for a long time, and while ive had interviews; I have fallen short of employer expectations.

I have volunteered and worked in non-relevant fields; so I have a work history however, I dont have that much 'commercial' agency exp in my field.

Im sick of having to tell people again and again that im getting nowhere. Only so many times you can say that before you seem lazy. Fact is- im not! I worked hard in my degree, but I lack the right exp, and employers dont want to invest in training (unless you get onto grad scheme).

All around me I've noticed, people landing jobs or been successful due to a number or mix of the following:

1. Wealthy parents with money abled to pay you onto postgrad course to better your prospects, 1.1 - Or to go travelling.

2. You get lucky and somehow beat the odds.

3. You studied an industry specific vocational degree (ie the professions) leading to a secure job.

Ive just noted those that are most lucky fufilled requirements, had access to money which I otherwise dont have.

It took me a year and 7 interviews to get into a graduate role (not part of a grad scheme) to I feel your frustration. Like you I had plenty of experience although not directly relevant to what I'm doing now. However that didn't matter and wasn't what stopped me from succeeding at the previous 6 interviews. It was my interview performance which stopped me- I wasn't answering questions well enough and showing my enthusiasm for the role and sector clearly enough. I discovered this through having detailed post interview feedback chats with the interviewers and I cannot recommend them enough if you are falling down at interview stage. Employers might say 'oh we took someone with more experience' in an email because its quick to write out, but 99% of the time they will have other reasons to point out.

In terms of your points
1. Doing a postgraduate degree doesn't necessarily= better career prospects. In some fields it won't make a jot of difference, in others it might help a bit, especially if its vocational but you still need to put together a strong application and do well at interview.
2. 99% of it is about understanding how to put together a good application and answer interview questions well then preparing for it.
3. Again even with a vocational degree you still need to be able to put a good application together and interview well.
I agree wealthy parents help with job prospects after uni, but not for the reasons you've mentioned. Normally they help because middle class parents encourage their children to be more career focused from a younger age, and they also tend to have more industry contacts so that their children can secure informal work experience placements both before and during uni. They also have the money to help their kids do internships in London and work experience. It's all about the internships really as well as knowing where to apply, how to prep for interview, having industry contacts that can coach you - and the importance of work experience in 1st year and before uni, the importance of getting involved in career-focused societies from day 1 etc...

But as mentioned above - most people don't have postgraduate degrees and can still get into good careers; a lot of people succeed without having rich parents - I wouldn't say they all got lucky - they probably worked very hard for it; and again most people don't have a vocational degree but can still get a good graduate job.
Reply 3
Original post by roflcakes1
I agree wealthy parents help with job prospects after uni, but not for the reasons you've mentioned. Normally they help because middle class parents encourage their children to be more career focused from a younger age, and they also tend to have more industry contacts so that their children can secure informal work experience placements both before and during uni. They also have the money to help their kids do internships in London and work experience. It's all about the internships really as well as knowing where to apply, how to prep for interview, having industry contacts that can coach you - and the importance of work experience in 1st year and before uni, the importance of getting involved in career-focused societies from day 1 etc...

But as mentioned above - most people don't have postgraduate degrees and can still get into good careers; a lot of people succeed without having rich parents - I wouldn't say they all got lucky - they probably worked very hard for it; and again most people don't have a vocational degree but can still get a good graduate job.

Points taken; but what advice would you give to people not from the Middle Class demographic, and perhaps don't have the money or network to bag internships, and of whom cant neccesarily afford to do unpaid placements or volunteer without a compromise in household income?
Whilst this may make you feel a little better, temporarily, it's not going to help with your immediate issue.

What degree do you have and from where? What (graduate level) jobs are you applying for?

Hopefully, someone can give good advice with this information. A first job can be difficult to get, but it'll much easier after that.
Points taken; but what advice would you give to people not from the Middle Class demographic, and perhaps don't have the money or network to bag internships, and of whom cant neccesarily afford to do unpaid placements or volunteer without a compromise in household income?

Well I guess depending on your age it's good that you're already thinking about it now. Networks are not critical to bagging an internship, but they certainly help, and it takes more work and being proactive if you don't have them. But something you can do now is get involved in relevant societies at uni, go to career events if your uni has them, be creative with how you network (do you have richer friends at uni you could ask about their networks, could you use LinkedIn etc).

Personally I worked during the university holidays when I could to save money which meant that I was able to do some unpaid work experience because of the work that I'd put in beforehand. Is this an option for you?

As for more specific advice - it depends largely on the sector. Having money and industry contacts in finance/law will mean a lot more than contacts in e.g. the public sector. But even then the networks are very useful in prepping for applications, interview, work experience, knowing the culture etc...
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by roflcakes1
Well I guess depending on your age it's good that you're already thinking about it now. Networks are not critical to bagging an internship, but they certainly help, and it takes more work and being proactive if you don't have them. But something you can do now is get involved in relevant societies at uni, go to career events if your uni has them, be creative with how you network (do you have richer friends at uni you could ask about their networks, could you use LinkedIn etc).

Personally I worked during the university holidays when I could to save money which meant that I was able to do some unpaid work experience because of the work that I'd put in beforehand. Is this an option for you?

As for more specific advice - it depends largely on the sector. Having money and industry contacts in finance/law will mean a lot more than contacts in e.g. the public sector. But even then the networks are very useful in prepping for applications, interview, work experience, knowing the culture etc...

Im 26 and have already finished University. My issue was that my institution didn't have the strongest links to industry (for my field and department), therefore I focussed on my academic profile, and got involved with the students union (was elected as a representative for my course on the Staff Student Committee).

I have worked ad hoc cafe jobs and hotel work as a school leaver, pre-uni and post uni to earn money while I look for more appropriate wrk but its hard to translate it of its less relevant.
Reply 7
Original post by RogerOxon
Whilst this may make you feel a little better, temporarily, it's not going to help with your immediate issue.

What degree do you have and from where? What (graduate level) jobs are you applying for?

Hopefully, someone can give good advice with this information. A first job can be difficult to get, but it'll much easier after that.

Of course it isnt doing wonders for my self esteem.

I studied Digital Design from a an ex-poly in the North.

I am applying for roles within Graphic Design, artworking and creative related schemes with larger companies. But without as much as an internship or industry exp in a studio, employers arent looking at me.
Im 26 and have already finished University. My issue was that my institution didn't have the strongest links to industry (for my field and department), therefore I focussed on my academic profile, and got involved with the students union (was elected as a representative for my course on the Staff Student Committee).

I have worked ad hoc cafe jobs and hotel work as a school leaver, pre-uni and post uni to earn money while I look for more appropriate wrk but its hard to translate it of its less relevant.

I'll help you but you need to be more specific. Take a critical assessment of yourself and give me ideas as to where you're hanging up.

I would also get that chip off your shoulder ASAP about class.
Reply 9
Original post by VeniViciVidi
I'll help you but you need to be more specific. Take a critical assessment of yourself and give me ideas as to where you're hanging up.

I would also get that chip off your shoulder ASAP about class.

I have had lots of experience, but of my most lenghtly work stint, it hasnt been relevant.

The problem is I have never held any position 'in-house' or in an agency because I made the mistake of not choosing a work placement module (because the uni didnt have as strong links with industry as other unis).

Many of the Junior roles I've looked at (in my industry) stipulate between 1-3 years 'in-house/agency' commercial experience.

I am currently looking at trying to land an internship; although even so most of these are aimed at recent grads or students, and I graduated in 2016.

I'm trying as hard as I can to get something out of what i learned at uni and do something with my degree. I just dont have the money or time to do a unpaid internship or placement as I live independently of parents and work a job to pay bills and rent.

So realistically the only two outcomes are that i either get a paid junior role or get onto a graduate scheme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending