Should i apply for a maintenance loan even though i dont need it

Watch
study beats
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
i feel like having more money in bank account will feel nicer?
Gerry-Atricks
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What about crippling debt, will that feel good?
study beats
Rep:
?
(Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
but i wont have to pay back until i am earning a specific amount?

also i have to pay back for a maximum of 30 years

so i really dont see why not? i will have extra money ....
username1333513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by study beats)
but i wont have to pay back until i am earning a specific amount?

also i have to pay back for a maximum of 30 years

so i really dont see why not? i will have extra money ....
paying back for a smaller amount of years > paying back for 30 years
study beats
Rep:
?
(Original post by bubblegumcat)
paying back for a smaller amount of years > paying back for 30 years
hmm interesting point

but then i could argue that the amount i have to pay back every month is so little, its only like 9% of what i will be earning?
username1333513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
hmm interesting point

but then i could argue that the amount i have to pay back every month is so little, its only like 9% of what i will be earning?
hmmm,
idk its up to you i guess, but just the idea of not having to be in so much debt sounds better ngl
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
why the **** would you do that and take from people who need it, further messing up the already messed up system of uni affordability?
study beats
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0to100)
why the **** would you do that and take from people who need it, further messing up the already messed up system of uni affordability?
i dont understand how it affects everyone else?
username3118454
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
you know if you dont need it you could yknow... not use it and then pay it back.

obviously like 4% interest on top but not really a lot
Anonymous #1
Report 4 years ago
You will probably never pay the whole amount back anyway so borrowing more or less makes little difference. If you take it and don't spend it you will be able to pay it off anyway and you may even make a small (read minute) amount of money due to interest.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i dont understand how it affects everyone else?
you're taking money that could potentially go to someone else who actually does need it, the budget for student maintenance isn't money that grows off trees. If you want "extra money" then ask mummy and daddy for it, or work for it. Don't apply basically fraudulently.
username3118454
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
exaggerate much?
username3118454
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
you're taking money that could potentially go to someone else who actually does need it, the budget for student maintenance isn't money that grows off trees. If you want "extra money" then ask mummy and daddy for it, or work for it. Don't apply basically fraudulently.
dont worry they have enough money - they assess how much you will get depending on your household income, and whether you live on campus or at home.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by angelike1)
dont worry they have enough money - they assess how much you will get depending on your household income, and whether you live on campus or at home.
Yes. I know that. But the money comes from a budget. Like benefits. If you apply fraudulently, you are messing up the legitimacy of someone who really does need it. And how much money they can get. It's the principle really. Why apply when you don't need it? That's just selfish.
study beats
Rep:
?
Yes. I know that. But the money comes from a budget. Like benefits. If you apply fraudulently, you are messing up the legitimacy of someone who really does need it. And how much money they can get. It's the principle really. Why apply when you don't need it? That's just selfish.
i might use the money in the future? its not like i am gonna let it sit there....
username3118454
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah fair point.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by angelike1)
Yeah fair point.
i might use the money in the future? its not like i am gonna let it sit there....
At the end of the day it's claiming that you need assistance fraudulently.
Kravence
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Take it, then invest it or use it for a deposit or something.
It's one of the best type of loans you can get, might as well take advantage
Dinasaurus
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Depends on how likely you believe the debt will be sold off and have it changed, otherwise you should take it. I saw something on moneysupermarket basically saying, if you could pay off your entire student loan in full, you'd be better off not paying it because chances are it will be written off before you can fully pay it off anyway but once again this is dependant on whether or not it is actually sold off.
username3118454
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dinasaurus)
Depends on how likely you believe the debt will be sold off and have it changed, otherwise you should take it. I saw something on moneysupermarket basically saying, if you could pay off your entire student loan in full, you'd be better off not paying it because chances are it will be written off before you can fully pay it off anyway but once again this is dependant on whether or not it is actually sold off.
I think the worth of money is relative to how much you earn (if you do at all).

So it's still worth it even if you pay it off.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (42)
27.1%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
9.03%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.1%

Watched Threads