The Student Room Group

Hit and Run

Hmmm, so p*ssed off. I awoke this morning to find that someone had driven into the rear of my parked car, shunting and causing considerable damage. The damage probably exceeds the value of the vehicle. I am in a lurch, the driver is untraceable, therefore i am unable to make a claim through MID. I have reported the incident to the police and my insurer (my level of cover is third party fire and theft). This is too much stress, coupled with lack of sleep, a 5000 worded essay due, and nursing placements. :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by Transw-Elspeth
Hmmm, so p*ssed off. I awoke this morning to find that someone had driven into the rear of my parked car, shunting and causing considerable damage. The damage probably exceeds the value of the vehicle. I am in a lurch, the driver is untraceable, therefore i am unable to make a claim through MID. I have reported the incident to the police and my insurer (my level of cover is third party fire and theft). This is too much stress, coupled with lack of sleep, a 5000 worded essay due, and nursing placements. :frown:

Hi there,
My understanding is unfortunately as you only have 3rd party you're pretty much out of luck unless you have the number plate of the offending vehicle (there are certain schemes to cover damage by uninsured drivers but you need the details).

Worse than this as you have reported it to your insurance you'll now have to declare it on future policies so your insurance may well go up.

If you can get a new car/repair etc I'd suggest you get a dash cam with parking mode as this would hopefully catch the perp's details which would at least get some info for insurance/ police.

Is the car now unsafe for the road or is it just paint/dents? Also have you tried to see if any witnesses saw anything?
The car starts fine, no rattling, no warning lights. There is one major dent, the offending cars paintwork, and a misaligned panel on the right side. I have sourced a replacement bumper on eBay for £35, however it's the underlying damage (if any), that i am worried about. I might knock on a few doors, and invest in a dash cam. I am due to start placement at 7am tomorrow, i feel slightly nervous and embarrassed to drive the car in such a state :/

Thank you,

Elspeth

Original post by virgil1
Hi there,
My understanding is unfortunately as you only have 3rd party you're pretty much out of luck unless you have the number plate of the offending vehicle (there are certain schemes to cover damage by uninsured drivers but you need the details).

Worse than this as you have reported it to your insurance you'll now have to declare it on future policies so your insurance may well go up.

If you can get a new car/repair etc I'd suggest you get a dash cam with parking mode as this would hopefully catch the perp's details which would at least get some info for insurance/ police.

Is the car now unsafe for the road or is it just paint/dents? Also have you tried to see if any witnesses saw anything?
Do any of your neighbours have outside CCTV? if so, you could ask them ig you could look at the recording to see if it picked the incident up

If not, I dont think there is much you can do
No CCTV in sight. I have resigned myself to the fact that i will have to pay for the damage myself. I finish placement at 3pm tomorrow, taking the car to a mechanic thereafter.

Thank you,

Elspeth

Original post by Jack22031994
Do any of your neighbours have outside CCTV? if so, you could ask them ig you could look at the recording to see if it picked the incident up

If not, I dont think there is much you can do
Original post by virgil1
Hi there,

I agree.
You never know, neighbours might have cctv or something.
Original post by Transw-Elspeth
No CCTV in sight. I have resigned myself to the fact that i will have to pay for the damage myself. I finish placement at 3pm tomorrow, taking the car to a mechanic thereafter.

Thank you,

Elspeth

Thats unfortunate :frown: Hope you get it sorted and it sdoesnt cost too much!

No problem
Reply 7
Unfortunately, this is one of the risks you take when choosing TPFT over Fully Comp.

Do you mind if I ask whether you did quotes for both types of insurance? It is very rare these days for a TPFT policy to be cheaper than a Fully Comp (counter intuitive, I know) so on renewal it could be worth increasing your coverage to help you out in future!
I used all the (legal) tricks to lower my monthly premiums, however, third party fire and theft was the cheapest, by far. I past my test in august of the past year, I currently pay £202 a month. I had intended to increase my coverage in october. Just seething right now, i have no parents, relatives etc. I am all alone in this world, i don't need this.

Thank you,

Elspeth

Original post by IWMTom
Unfortunately, this is one of the risks you take when choosing TPFT over Fully Comp.

Do you mind if I ask whether you did quotes for both types of insurance? It is very rare these days for a TPFT policy to be cheaper than a Fully Comp (counter intuitive, I know) so on renewal it could be worth increasing your coverage to help you out in future!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending