The Student Room Group

Disheartened by being declined...

Sorry, this is quite a long rambling post!

I'm 20 years old and worked for over 2 years after leaving school in Scotland. I wasn't sure about going to uni and worked my way up to assistant manager before deciding I wanted to study here in Birmingham, specifically Aston, which is where we live and where my boyfriend studies. I have a huge interest in english and felt that law was, although ambitious for my grades, a great choice for me. Feeling optimistic after leaving a job which had upset me for around 6 months I was unsurprisingly yet still upsettingly declined by all 3 of my choices (even BCU who asked to see my certificates but declined me anyway).

After days of feeling low I decided it would be a good idea to apply for English, since I did so well in school (higher A/advanced higher B) and felt this was the only subject I truly enjoyed. Feeling a glimmer of hope I emailed the head of english @ Aston asking how I would go about applying for one of their courses considering my personal statement is catered towards getting in to law LLB. She asked for my UCAS code, then straight up rejected me. I wasn't told exactly why but I can assume it was due to my lack of grades (ACC & advanced higher B). The only subject which I excelled at in school, particularly in my final years, was English.. so I began to think if I can't get into that what can I get into?

I've come to this forum for some reassurance. I feel as though everywhere I turn people are shunning me away and I'm now terrified I won't get in through clearing (or if I do I will be worth less than other students because one of my grades is in photography). I don't understand clearing and, out of embarrassment, don't fancy emailing the head of english again.

I'm basically wondering, have I made the right choice? The university I want to attend is Aston.. are my grades too low for any of their english courses, or is it something to do with my qualifications being Scottish? Is my passion for english and hard earned work experience not enough? Am I too OLD? Was there something wrong with my reference? I've lost the confidence I gained from making the choice to quit my job and apply to university. Should I look into college courses (which ones?!), wait for clearing, or just give up altogether? :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Rebecca2910

I'm 20 years old and worked for over 2 years after leaving school in Scotland. I wasn't sure about going to uni and worked my way up to assistant manager before deciding I wanted to study here in Birmingham, specifically Aston, which is where we live and where my boyfriend studies. I have a huge interest in english and felt that law was, although ambitious for my grades, a great choice for me. Feeling optimistic after leaving a job which had upset me for around 6 months I was unsurprisingly yet still upsettingly declined by all 3 of my choices (even BCU who asked to see my certificates but declined me anyway).

After days of feeling low I decided it would be a good idea to apply for English, since I did so well in school (higher A/advanced higher B) and felt this was the only subject I truly enjoyed. Feeling a glimmer of hope I emailed the head of english @ Aston asking how I would go about applying for one of their courses considering my personal statement is catered towards getting in to law LLB. She asked for my UCAS code, then straight up rejected me. I wasn't told exactly why but I can assume it was due to my lack of grades (ACC & advanced higher B). The only subject which I excelled at in school, particularly in my final years, was English.. so I began to think if I can't get into that what can I get into?

I've come to this forum for some reassurance. I feel as though everywhere I turn people are shunning me away and I'm now terrified I won't get in through clearing (or if I do I will be worth less than other students because one of my grades is in photography). I don't understand clearing and, out of embarrassment, don't fancy emailing the head of english again.

I'm basically wondering, have I made the right choice? The university I want to attend is Aston.. are my grades too low for any of their english courses, or is it something to do with my qualifications being Scottish? Is my passion for english and hard earned work experience not enough? Am I too OLD? Was there something wrong with my reference? I've lost the confidence I gained from making the choice to quit my job and apply to university. Should I look into college courses (which ones?!), wait for clearing, or just give up altogether? :frown:

DLTBGYD is your starting point.

You are young , so if you have an aspiration, then all you have to do is understand how to get from A to B and commit.

If your grades arent good enough then resit or do a degree with a foundation year. Do you know what their normal requirement is? How far short did you fall?

I have had a look at their webpage and it says ABB to BBB for A level, which you fall a bit short of anyway. On top of that your PS probably ruined you as sje would have thought they were 2nd choice, which was true.

If you really wnat to do law then get feedback and do some resits.

Law is AAB to ABB, so you might need to do some resits or additional qualifications. It seems from the grades you have then they were below the stated admission grades , so being unsuccessful would be predictable.

Are you too old? NO!

You just need to make your mind up Law or English and then work on how you are going to bridge the gap. Make sure you meet their entry requirements and work hard to get them.

Be careful of just accepting anything from clearing. If it were me then I would go for what I wanted even if it took extra time to get there.

Go and see or speak to a careers adviser if you need to.

http://www.aston.ac.uk/current-students/careers-centre/contact/

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/contact-us/home

Dont give up and dont give in.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
DLTBGYD is your starting point.

You are young , so if you have an aspiration, then all you have to do is understand how to get from A to B and commit.

If your grades arent good enough then resit or do a degree with a foundation year. Do you know what their normal requirement is? How far short did you fall?

I have had a look at their webpage and it says ABB to BBB for A level, which you fall a bit short of anyway. On top of that your PS probably ruined you as sje would have thought they were 2nd choice, which was true.

If you really wnat to do law then get feedback and do some resits.

Law is AAB to ABB, so you might need to do some resits or additional qualifications. It seems from the grades you have then they were below the stated admission grades , so being unsuccessful would be predictable.

Are you too old? NO!

You just need to make your mind up Law or English and then work on how you are going to bridge the gap. Make sure you meet their entry requirements and work hard to get them.

Be careful of just accepting anything from clearing. If it were me then I would go for what I wanted even if it took extra time to get there.

Go and see or speak to a careers adviser if you need to.

http://www.aston.ac.uk/current-students/careers-centre/contact/

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/contact-us/home

Dont give up and dont give in.

Thanks for your reply :smile:

I have decided English is probably the best choice for me. I spoke a bit about my passion for english in my PS and I'm just frustrated with myself for setting the bar so high with applying for law.

I've thought about going to college to do some extra A levels, I wouldn't mind doing that and maybe working part time for a year before going to university, I just have no idea how to get into it and all the courses I can find are about things I have no interest in/have no relevance to my desired course (cooking, business, media marketing etc).

How would you suggest I go about doing resits or extra qualifications? I can't seem to find any of the information on the college websites, or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places...

I have decided English is probably the best choice for me. I spoke a bit about my passion for english in my PS and I'm just frustrated with myself for setting the bar so high with applying for law.

I've thought about going to college to do some extra A levels, I wouldn't mind doing that and maybe working part time for a year before going to university, I just have no idea how to get into it and all the courses I can find are about things I have no interest in/have no relevance to my desired course (cooking, business, media marketing etc).

How would you suggest I go about doing resits or extra qualifications? I can't seem to find any of the information on the college websites, or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places...

You can do law if you want to, trust me it doesnt take a genius. It seems more like lack of confidence talking. You need to think about what you wish to do after and what you want to spend 3 years learning about.

It sounds like your PS was also less focused than it needed to be.

Doing A levels for anyone over 18 tends to be quite hard as few colleges offer them these daus so people do them as private candidates i.e self taught. The most common way is by an Access course

For English it says
Access: Pass Access to HE Diploma with Merit in each module. Humanities or Social Sciences Access course preferred, but other courses considered on an individual basis. Applicants must demonstrate that they have successfully completed English Language/Literature/Linguistics modules as part of their Access course (minimum grade Merit.) Applicants may be asked to attend an interview prior to an offer being made.

For Law it says
BTEC, Access & other: BTEC Extended Diploma DDD. Access to HE students are eligible to apply for this course.

So in theory if you did access, then you might have Law and English modules and you could use it to apply for either the Law or English courses depending on your grades and what you found you liked.

You can learn more about access courses here

https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Pages/Default.aspx

You finance them via
https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan/eligibility

PS I just remembers Birmingham is one of the few places in the country with a college that does A levels for mature students. This might be cheaper and involve less work. I will need to look it up but I remember answering a question on this before and we did manage to find somewhere that did them. Most colleges have changed to Access.

PPS Obviously some research would need to be done to find out what level they would need for entry requirements taking into account your existing qualifications.
You should be able to find out whether your grades are the problem by checking their requirements, there's generally no point applying if you don't have the correct grades, you won't be offered a place in the normal application system.

Now you know that it's definitely worth speaking to admissions tutors for courses you're interested in. Ask whether they generally have clearing places, how quick they fill up and whether your grades would be enough there. Don't be embarassed, they hear these questions all the time and lots of people get onto courses through clearing - they've done studies showing those who get in through clearing generally do just as well on the course as those who made the grades.

You're certainly not too old and being scottish shouldn't affect anything, it's common to have scottish students study in england so universities know how the examination systems compare. Don't give up - if you find your grades are too low for where you want to study take some times to decide if you want to reapply for less competitive courses or whether you'd prefer to try and retake some exams in evening study etc.
Reply 5

There has been a huge change in A Levels over the past few years, so it's probably too late to resit modules from your existing ones. So you can either take the same subjects again but under the new syllabus and do a new set of exams, or take new subjects.
The most common way to resit A Levels is by studying privately, and then taking exams as a private candidate. You need to pick your exam board and find a centre that offers the exams - these steps are linked, as some centres will only offer certain exam boards. You then go on the exam board website and see what you need to learn, and go on Amazon to buy the books. You can also use TSR and other internet resources if you have any questions.
Then you enter yourself for the exams - the exam centre and exam board weebsites will list the dates for this - and pay the fee. Prices vary, but it seems to be around £250 per qualification. Then you turn up for the exams, and wait for your results.

You can go through online distance learning centres such as ICS, but they just privide you with the material. You still need to arrange your own exam centre. So when they say "prices start at only £340" you need to add the £250 exam fees on top. It works out as a very expensive textbook.
Be careful with re-sitting, a great deal of universities stipulate grades with the addition of "on first sitting" so check this before you do anything hasty. Clearing is a very good system. I probably should have tried to use it to get into a better university.

That said; I bombed my A-Levels completely (CCDE), went to what is considered a crap university (its actually amazingly good as its more teaching focused). Managed to get a 1st, which allowed me to entire a top tier Russell group uni, where I got a distinction and have just been accepted to study a PhD in October (and I went to uni at 21 years old - loads of people at uni are 30 and over so age really isn't considered).

Study what you want to, try not to be disheartened especially by a reputation of a uni, speak to people (lots of people) and press them for answers. ask for feedback after every rejection (not just this, but in everything you ever apply for). Also, re-write your PS!
The OP wouldn't be resitting - they originally took 3 highers and continued 1 to AH - that's equivalent (in English university eyes) to 3-4 AS levels and a single A level.

The reason they're rejecting the OP is because with only 1 AH they aren't qualified to start an English university degree (Scottish university degrees are an extra year to take this into account with students with good AH grades or A levels applying for entry into year 2).

Essentially there's a mismatch between the qualifications held and those required - so taking additional A levels or an Access course would not be considered resitting simply a continuation of previous studies to the level required for entry onto an English degree, especially because sitting further highers/AH outside scotland isn't available.

"Scottish and Irish Qualifications
"Aston regularly receives and welcomes applications from Scotland and Ireland for all our degree courses. As a guide, UCAS Tariff points required for A levels will normally equate to similar points from Scottish and Irish Highers."
http://www.aston.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applying/entry-requirements/

For the English course they're asking for ABB-BBB from 3 A levels - that's 120-128 points
OP has 99 tariff points (B at AH and CC in other subjects at Higher) with only 1 AH - Aston would be expecting at least 2 AH qualifications plus 1/2 highers.

The foundation programme at Aston would be a better fit: http://www.aston.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/languages-social-sciences/foundation-programme-in-social-sciences/
Reply 8
Hey I flunked my Alevels with BCC which doesnt sound too bad till you know I was expected AAA. I was rejected from every signle university I originally applied to but still made it onto my course through clearing. Sometimes I feel bummed out about it because I didnt get the university I wanted, but getting into university onto my course was a success in itself for my grades lmao.
Clearing is a very easy process but you feel very panicked on the day due to the stress and rejection you can face.
Basically universities will drop the enteries by 1-2 grades. 1 grade from very good unis. You usually need atleast a B in one subject area they want. Also the lines are usually clogged, ESPECIALLY aston - I had to call 60+ times to get through to them, NO JOKE. They were bombared with calls but I was still offered a place but chose somewhere else.
Have your top university choices ready and call 9am on the dot. Then they will ask your name, age, your grades and choice of course. They will assess in a very quick process if you are eligble. If are eligibe they will collect all your grades, GCSEs etc and send you an acceptance email.
You should call around all the universities that have your course before you accept any choices on UCAS because you may get other offers from higher universities. Also you can only accept one course on UCAS.
If you need to top up your grades I recommend a foundation course because resisting Alevels etc is much harder work than a foundation year. Also you get to go to university and have some fun instead :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
The OP wouldn't be resitting - they originally took 3 highers and continued 1 to AH - that's equivalent (in English university eyes) to 3-4 AS levels and a single A level.

The reason they're rejecting the OP is because with only 1 AH they aren't qualified to start an English university degree (Scottish university degrees are an extra year to take this into account with students with good AH grades or A levels applying for entry into year 2).

Essentially there's a mismatch between the qualifications held and those required - so taking additional A levels or an Access course would not be considered resitting simply a continuation of previous studies to the level required for entry onto an English degree, especially because sitting further highers/AH outside scotland isn't available.

"Scottish and Irish Qualifications
"Aston regularly receives and welcomes applications from Scotland and Ireland for all our degree courses. As a guide, UCAS Tariff points required for A levels will normally equate to similar points from Scottish and Irish Highers."
http://www.aston.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applying/entry-requirements/

For the English course they're asking for ABB-BBB from 3 A levels - that's 120-128 points
OP has 99 tariff points (B at AH and CC in other subjects at Higher) with only 1 AH - Aston would be expecting at least 2 AH qualifications plus 1/2 highers.

The foundation programme at Aston would be a better fit: http://www.aston.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/languages-social-sciences/foundation-programme-in-social-sciences/

I agree that the qualifications are mismatched, however I'm pretty sure Scottish Highers are more similar to A Levels. Advanced Highers were by no means compulsory and were only taken by people who wanted to further their studies within a particular subject in their final year. I'm not sure on the truth in this but I remember my English teacher saying that the AH course was *more like* 1st year uni. Apologies if I'm reading your reply wrong.
My sister went through the Scottish education system. Standard Grades are deemed better than GCSE's and A Levels are deemed better than highers, how much so I don't know (I don't know how this equates to UCAS Points)
I agree that the qualifications are mismatched, however I'm pretty sure Scottish Highers are more similar to A Levels. Advanced Highers were by no means compulsory and were only taken by people who wanted to further their studies within a particular subject in their final year. I'm not sure on the truth in this but I remember my English teacher saying that the AH course was *more like* 1st year uni. Apologies if I'm reading your reply wrong.

That is true but only in scotland. AH is equivalent to A2 which is why uni is 3 years in England because its compulsory in England.

It's more like 1st year of Scottish uni where a standard BA or BSc is 4 years - which is why a bundle of good AH grades can get you into Year 2 of a Scottish degree....same as with good A level grades.
There's some crossover with English universities but because the courses are a year shorter the expectation is that Scottish applicants to English universities will have 2+ AHs (OR 4/5 Highers).

Tariff points are decided based on breadth and depth AS levels are size 2, Highers are a 3 and A levels and AH are 4s (although the grades are bumped up for AH too - an A at AH is considered A* AL equivalent, a B is A AL equivalent, a C is B AL equivalent etc). https://www.ucas.com/file/96731/download?token=9og2dm-s has a table of breadth (size) and depth (grade band) for the tariff calculations.

So to have the equivalent of 3 A levels in highers alone (3*4 size band - 12) you'd need 4 Highers or 3 AHs...with 2 highers and 1 AH that doesn't meet that size requirement.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by PQ
It's more like 1st year of Scottish uni where a standard BA or BSc is 4 years - which is why a bundle of good AH grades can get you into Year 2 of a Scottish degree....same as with good A level grades.
There's some crossover with English universities but because the courses are a year shorter the expectation is that Scottish applicants to English universities will have 2+ AHs (OR 4/5 Highers).

Tariff points are decided based on breadth and depth AS levels are size 2, Highers are a 3 and A levels and AH are 4s (although the grades are bumped up for AH too - an A at AH is considered A* AL equivalent, a B is A AL equivalent, a C is B AL equivalent etc). https://www.ucas.com/file/96731/download?token=9og2dm-s has a table of breadth (size) and depth (grade band) for the tariff calculations.

So to have the equivalent of 3 A levels in highers alone (3*4 size band - 12) you'd need 4 Highers or 3 AHs...with 2 highers and 1 AH that doesn't meet that size requirement.

Actually starting to feel worse than I did before I posted the thread

If you apply for the foundation year entry at Aston then you'd spend the same amount of time at uni as if you'd gone to a scottish uni. Foundation years at English unis are the closest to scottish degree first years. I'm surprised they didn't recommend that to you on initial application tbh.

Alternatively speak to the universities you're interested in and ask them for a) feedback on why they rejected you (we're speculating that it's because of your qualifications - it could be something else completely, some universities get sniffy about time spent out of education) and b) recommendations about what qualifications they would recommend providing a good preparation for the course.

It could be that something like OU modules or just 1 extra A level (and/or maybe an EPQ) would be what they'd look for. Or they might suggest an Access course or foundation year. Either way making a decision about what to do next based on what they actually want rather than our guesses will set you up for getting where you want to go.

Do an access course or a one year Foundation course.

Please don't just give up - you are 'trapped' between the difference in qualifaction 'levels' which is not your fault. Scottish degrees are four years to 'make up the gap' as degrees in the rest of the UK are three years.

I hate to brake this too you but if Aston won't except you now they won't in clearing you may have to widen your net a little .

You could look at colleges perhaps do a couple of A-levels some colleges even do a fast track 1 year course or you could look for university courses that include a foundation year. Or you could do a foundation degree these are done in univertys and colleges so I would look at college and University proeprospectus and decide on what you want to do.
Or you could do a online course look at Udemy or something this will show that you can see something through and looks good on your CV but holds no UCAS points.

But you have do draw a line through Aston good luck whatever you choose to do.

You are getting very good advice from PQ. You dont have to make the choice now.

Theres no need to feel worse and it will get better in a few days. You simply have to accept the situation and deal with it. We can only guess why you didnt make it, but a mismatch in your grades or your PS not being on message for either Law or English could be culprits. If you are curious then get one of the PS reviewers on TSR to review it for you.

If it was just a mismatch, then the foundation is a very good idea and it will get you into Uni that much sooner to be with your bf, alternatively Access and or A levels will be much cheaper. You have to find out what you need to make your qualifications competitive and only the Law or English departments can tell you that.

My hunch is Law you went in without the requisite grades and your PS probably needed some work.

English then they were put off by the fact it was second best because of the Law aspect and your grades werent superior enough to convince her.

If your heart is set on Aston then dont give up and just go next year, assuming Foundations are out. I wouldnt give up on it completely yet. Bit if application and you can get in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending