The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Bowland tower or Furness? Lancaster Accomodation application

Hi, I've firmed Lancaster now I'm deciding on accommodation as applications open today. I'm guaranteed first or second choice.

I'm choosing between Bowland and Furness, and I definitely want an ensuite. I'm interested in bowland tower and Furness central.

I want to be in a college that has a good social life but not absolutely crazy as I also need it to be quiet enough to get work done when need be. I think Bowland and Furness are fitting for this and they're both centrally located which is what I want.

Anyone have any thoughts on this about Bowland Tower vs Furness, and how to choose between them eg any big differences, pros and cons?

Also does anybody know if Bowland Tower has stairs to each floor? Or is the flat only accessed by a lift- and does this tend to be inconvenient if so? and how is the social life as theres just 5 people on each floor? (i'm not fussed by this, just wondering). I'm really drawn to it but I know it only has a small amount of people so would need to apply ASAP if I want it...

Furness seems really nice too but just havent't heard much about the tower and not sure if this is a good or bad thing!!
Reply 1
Original post by emmamelville
Hi, I've firmed Lancaster now I'm deciding on accommodation as applications open today. I'm guaranteed first or second choice.

I'm choosing between Bowland and Furness, and I definitely want an ensuite. I'm interested in bowland tower and Furness central.

I want to be in a college that has a good social life but not absolutely crazy as I also need it to be quiet enough to get work done when need be. I think Bowland and Furness are fitting for this and they're both centrally located which is what I want.

Anyone have any thoughts on this about Bowland Tower vs Furness, and how to choose between them eg any big differences, pros and cons?

Also does anybody know if Bowland Tower has stairs to each floor? Or is the flat only accessed by a lift- and does this tend to be inconvenient if so? and how is the social life as theres just 5 people on each floor? (i'm not fussed by this, just wondering). I'm really drawn to it but I know it only has a small amount of people so would need to apply ASAP if I want it...

Furness seems really nice too but just havent't heard much about the tower and not sure if this is a good or bad thing!!

I'm in Cartmel but I'll give it a go at answering some of your questions!

From what I've heard, Bowland Tower is nice to live in, amazing views if you are on the higher floors. A few obvious downsides is the travelling up and down if you high up, especially if there is a fire alarm at 3am because somebody burnt some toast haha. Every floor will have lift and stair access for safety. I'm not sure how many people live in each floor so I don't know how the social life will be. It's important to note that your flatmates will be a tiny amount of the total people you meet, you'll likely make friends on your course and in your college. Regardless of college, your social life will be as good as you make it so its best to get involved in as much as possible and meet new people whenever you can!

A large portion of Bowland is on the Spine which is the central path that runs through the University. Now depending on the level of noise you are comfortable studying with, you may find its not great for studying. Nobody will be crazy loud, but its simply lots of people passing through and Alexandra Square, the center of the university and where many shops are located. Furness is ok, accommodation is nice, located centrally but location isn't everything and doesn't affect your social life or the people you meet.

For example, I live in Cartmel in Alexandra Park and the walk is great, wakes you up and gets you moving after spending hours in lecture theaters sitting down. It also has a huge common room which I often go down and chill, meet people, get a drink and play games.

Hope this helps!
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending