The Student Room Group

best time of day for driving test

when would you say that the best time of day to take the driving test is??

Do you think that its better to do it during rush hour so that you don't have to drive as much or in the middle of the day when the roads are clearer???

please help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
cokeandtears
when would you say that the best time of day to take the driving test is??

Do you think that its better to do it during rush hour so that you don't have to drive as much or in the middle of the day when the roads are clearer???

please help

do a search on the forum there is alot of threads about this subject on the forumm, also i would recommend a time after rush hour so say between 10am and 2 oclock. Reason is with rush hour, there is going to be alot of cars, people going to work, parents driving there kids to school, kids going to school etc, so you will have certain people driving like idiots or kids jumping out of no where which could cost you dearly as you are very likely to fail because of a mistake they made. so try to avoid it as much as possible and also you will be under pressure more as its too busy. one thing i would recomend is, if you have your driving lessons at the same time every week, then that would probably be the best time for you asw you are used to it

check this out, its a similar thread to this, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=9537960&highlight=best+time#post9537960
Reply 2
thanx that was really helpful :biggrin:
Rush hour is a very bad idea. When I booked my test during rush hour my instructor immediately told me cancel it if i could. The problem with rush hour is that everywhere is 10x busier. That may not be a problem if you live in the countryside but on the outskirts of London things get very slow and tedious. Examiners want you to 'make progress' and so when you're at a junction and no-one will let you out or give way, the only other option is to force your way out or cut someone up, which is a fail. However, if you sit there waiting for a safe gap you can get failed for undue hesitation.

It is all at the discretion of the examiners. They may accept that it's more difficult in rush hour and let you pass, but there are no obligations. It is crazy that while the conditions of the road always change, the marking system doesn't. Undoubtedly there are good drivers that are failed in rush hour conditions, and poorer drivers who benefit from easier driving conditions later in the day that pass. Then there are those that take their test in rural areas and whom are scared of driving in cities or on motorways, that get the same pass as someone who has taken their test on the outskirts of London and who are happy to drive anywhere. Am I the only one who thinks there's something unfair about that?

Ideally get a test during the day when its quiet. You've got a much greater chance of passing (statistics prove it), it's easier for you and cheaper if it means that you pass quicker. By all means have lessons during the rush hour so that you get used to the worst case scenario with a greater traffic volume , less considerate drivers desperate to get home, etc. That is what I did by having lessons straight after school. It will make you a better driver, but for the test get one when its quiet!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
I do agree that it's best to take your test out of rush hour - but not that it's easier to pass if you're female (research shows that men take 1.8 goes to pass, women 2.1)..

See this article on Driving Test Myths

http://cars.uk.msn.com/news/car_news_article.aspx?cp-documentid=5765073
Reply 5
ch0c0h01ic
If you're female you've got better chances than a male.

I'm sorry...what?
Reply 6
mines just before lunch, mid week, hopefully slightly quieter!
Reply 7
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i passed Friday just gone 1st time :biggrin::biggrin: ...

.... Sorry :s-smilie:
Reply 8
ch0c0h01ic
Rush hour is a very bad idea. When i booked my test at a time during rush hour my instructor immediately told me cancel it if i could. The problem with rush hour is that everywhere is 10x busier. That may not be a problem if you live in the countryside but on the outskirts of london things get very slow and tedious. The examiner wants you to 'make progress' and so when you're at a junction and no-one will let you out or give way, the only other option is to force your way out or cut someone up, which is a failable offence. Its a lose lose situation. But if you sit there waiting for a safe enough gap you get done for undue hesitation and failed (what i got done for).
Its all at the disgression of the examiners. If you're female you've got better chances than a male. They may accept that its more difficult in rush hour and let you pass, but they may not and let you fail. Its pretty stupid really that while the conditions of the road always change, the marking system doesn't. You could/do get good drivers failed in rush hour conditions and crap drivers taking their tests when its quiet, getting away with the easier conditions and passing. Then there's people from rural areas who take their tests in quieter areas and is scared of driving in busy towns, and gets the same pass as someone who's taken their test on the outskirts of london or one of the other major cities and who isn't worried by driving conditions anywhere. Am i the only one who thinks there's something wrong with that?

Ideally get a test during the day when its quiet. You've got a much greater chance of passing (statistics prove it), its easier for you and cheaper if it means that you pass quicker. By all means have lessons during the rush hour so that you get used to the worst case scenario with a greater traffic volume , less considerate drivers desperate to get home, etc, its what i did by having lessons straight after school. It will make you a better driver, but for the test get one when its quiet.

They can't fail you for being unlucky with congestion; if you can't safely pull out then they can't fail you. However, if there is a situation where you could pull out but you don't then you will get a minor for undue hesitation, but thats not a failable offence. The only way you could fail from UH is if you got five or more UH minors.
I live in South London but have booked my test at Morden, which is greater London/Surrey border. My instructor said that it's just that bit easier, with slightly quieter and wider roads, only one bus lane (and a bonus of not having parking bays at the test centre). I booked my test for just before 3pm, giving me time to have a lesson beforehand, and hopefully just missing the school pickup time (idiots double or triple parking etc). My instructor said he knows that I'm capable of driving on busy London roads during busy times or in the dark etc, but why not make it a bit easier for myself by booking a test where I'll be more likely to have quieter and calmer road conditions and have less buses/mad couriers trying to cut me up.
Reply 10
I'd do my test at 10pm if i could...no one around...

There's still quite a fair bit of traffic about during the day i think, especially in my area. You cant win really....but it would be too easy to pass if it was too quiet. Dont do it in rush hour though, especially morning rush hour. Tiredness + Traffic = disaster.
Reply 11
I disagree about the rush hour thing, when they know the roads will be busy, they will take you around quieter roads, such as around housing estates etc, which are usually easier to drive around, and you're less likely to come across problems with other drivers, because there aren't any! I took my test during rush hour and passed first time, so it's not impossible.
Reply 12
I did mine at 10.30 which was quite good, some traffic still around but no kids to worry about.
Reply 13
how are motorbiking times for you Talya?
Reply 14
10.45 is a good time thats when mine was it was really quiet i just ****** up cos of my neves :frown:
Reply 15
I did both my tests at 10.44am, passed second time. The roads were pretty empty compared to rush hour. I'd go between 10-2pm.
Reply 16
I had mine at 8:20 in the morning. Was great. Traffic wasn't tooo bad (I did it in Bury), but it means you don't have to bother about any bus lanes, cycle lanes and such, because at that time they are all in use!
As said above, they usually avoid most of the traffic by taking you through estates and things like that.
11am apparently.... im gonna try and get my test around then
I've got mine booked for 11.11, which my instructor says is the perfect time.

Not so early that we're all up at the crack of dawn and then have to deal with London rush hour traffic, but not so late that I've got all day to get worked up about it. And just before lunch, cos everyone wants lunch :smile:
13:40 is a good time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending