The Student Room Group

How do your UCAS Predicted grades, actually, REALLY work?

Hi, all. I'd like to start by saying I'm very new to using TSR and I'm sorry if I've made any glaring errors.

I'm one exam away from finishing my AS year of college and only a few months away from applying to university and I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with the lack of clear, concrete knowledge about the application process to uni via UCAS and how it all really works. I would really appreciate the help of anyone who has the answers to these questions as it would greatly help me understand exactly where I stand.

First off: I'm aware that you submit your UCAS Predicted grades when applying and I understand that they're based off your performance throughout the year and your AS exams if you are indeed taking AS. But, I hear a lot of rumors and and myths. Such as 'Your UCAS A2 predicated grades will usually be one above the grade you got at AS'. Does this have any merit? Can anyone speak for the validity of this claim?

Secondly, I, like a lot of people, I'm guessing, are worried that they've underperformed or done not as well as they'd hoped in their AS exams. The absolute biggest claim I hear being thrown about is that "Even though universities say they want certain entry requirements, they will usually accept something lower than this: For example, allowing someone onto their AAB course with an ABB or an AAC." How well does this hold up?

And the last thing I wanted to clear up: How willing are universites to hand out conditional offers? In my context, I think I've got anywhere between ABC or BBD. The courses that I'm hoping to get onto want AAB or AAA, according to the universites themselves. Now, I know my results don't currently reflect that but if during an interview I were to show my dedication to improving them significantly, my passion for the subject, etc, etc; would I be likely for a conditional offer? How likely is it that I get a conditional offer on the, well, condition, that I resit this years exams at the end of next year?

Thank you so much for any help, it'll be greatly appreciated. :smile:
Original post by Dggj_19
Hi, all. I'd like to start by saying I'm very new to using TSR and I'm sorry if I've made any glaring errors.

I'm one exam away from finishing my AS year of college and only a few months away from applying to university and I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with the lack of clear, concrete knowledge about the application process to uni via UCAS and how it all really works. I would really appreciate the help of anyone who has the answers to these questions as it would greatly help me understand exactly where I stand.

First off: I'm aware that you submit your UCAS Predicted grades when applying and I understand that they're based off your performance throughout the year and your AS exams if you are indeed taking AS. But, I hear a lot of rumors and and myths. Such as 'Your UCAS A2 predicated grades will usually be one above the grade you got at AS'. Does this have any merit? Can anyone speak for the validity of this claim?

Secondly, I, like a lot of people, I'm guessing, are worried that they've underperformed or done not as well as they'd hoped in their AS exams. The absolute biggest claim I hear being thrown about is that "Even though universities say they want certain entry requirements, they will usually accept something lower than this: For example, allowing someone onto their AAB course with an ABB or an AAC." How well does this hold up?

And the last thing I wanted to clear up: How willing are universites to hand out conditional offers? In my context, I think I've got anywhere between ABC or BBD. The courses that I'm hoping to get onto want AAB or AAA, according to the universites themselves. Now, I know my results don't currently reflect that but if during an interview I were to show my dedication to improving them significantly, my passion for the subject, etc, etc; would I be likely for a conditional offer? How likely is it that I get a conditional offer on the, well, condition, that I resit this years exams at the end of next year?

Thank you so much for any help, it'll be greatly appreciated. :smile:

1. Your referee makes your predicted grades, it's up to them if they match your as grades.
2/3 All depends on the university and the course. If you re more than a grade or two off in my opinion that's a bit risky.
In my college at least, predicted grades are 1 grade up from your AS grades, however, if you've underperformed and believe you can do better, you can speak to your teacher to get those predictions up (thats what I did anyway)

I myself do not have experience with your second question, however my friends sister got 2 grades below her offer and still got accepted (through clearing) I think it depends more on how many places they have left in the course as to whether they'd accept those with grades below.

My predictions are AAB and I got a conditional offer for Leeds at AAA, so yeah they can accept an offer with lower requirements than asked, though I assume your reference and personal statement would also contribute to the offer, also interviews if they're required.

I also have no experience with resits though if your A levels are linear I don't know how lenient many sixthform colleges are with resits, modular a levels may be different thoug :smile:
Original post by Dggj_19

Your avatar.
(edited 6 years ago)
Different places use different criteria for predicted grades. In 2015 only 25.5% of candidates met or exceeded their predicted grades https://www.ucas.com/file/71796/download?token=D4uuSzur

In the end you are at the mercy of your school/college, the university you are applying to and the predicted grades system.

If you don't meet your offer because your school inflated your predicted grades you can enter clearing or take a year out and resit
If you exceed your predicted grades and meet the grades for a Uni with higher requirements you can enter adjustment or take a year out and reapply

There are options.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending