The Student Room Group

Teacher or Police?

I have my Level3 EYE (L3 practitioner in teaching). I was going to further my career and go to university for my QTS.

However, I am unsure as I also want to go into the police (hopefully the intelligence side).

Should I go to uni for 3 years to get my degree or should I just start a career in policing?
If so where should I start with getting involved in the police intelligence side - e.g. counter terrorism unit or MI5/MI6.

I also want to travel so what would help to promote travelling?

September is soon and I need to try and make a decision fast so I can sort uni or other opportunities out :/ :/

Would it be easier to change from a teacher to police or police to teacher?
(edited 6 years ago)
If you can handle it, then go for policing. Work you way from there and apply for any openings.
Mi5 is an entirely separate organisation from the police. To work in intelligence in Mi5 you need to have a degree in any subject or 3 years relevant experience. It would be very hard to secure an intelligence job with Mi5 without a degree, especially if you have no experience working in this field. Bear in mind you would be competing with the likes of people who have been to Oxford.

The met police do offer a direct entry to to being an inspector or superintendent. There are eligibility requirements but you should probably meet all of them.

https://www.met.police.uk/careers-at-the-met/police-officer-roles/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending