The Student Room Group

Graphic Design + University Help

Hey, my name is Matty I was hoping some people could help me a little, so id really appreciate it if you could answer my questions! Thanks :P

So yeah, Ive already applied to 3 Universities, my Step Mum told me off for not choosing 5, its a long story but basically im very confident in being accepted in atleast 2 of them, and If i didnt get in, im applying for a foundation.

Ive applied to:

-Nottingham Trent
-Teeside
-Sheffield Hallam

~First Questions: Do you think I should add 1-2 more? Im sure you can free of charge. Which universities would you recommend? Salford and Lincoln come to mind. (I Live in the East Midlands so I dont want to goto London/Cornwall atm)

~Second Question: Is there anyone here who has/is attending one of those universities? If so what can you say about them. You dont hear much about Teeside even though its rated highly on NSS and Guaridan University Guide for Art and Design, and the Open Day impressed me massivly. So id like to see what people say about Teeside + Middlesborough?

Ive got an interview at Teeside very soon, and im assuming I will for NTU and Sheffield too.

~Third Question: What tips would you give for the Interview + Portfolio? I have my GCSE work on me, and obviously my A Level work. But ive also done alot of Graphics stuff at home, only computer based though. Im planning on making up a A1 sheet of GCSE stuff, and maybe take a book of home stuff? For the interview im thinking of wearing shirt and jeans, good enough you think?

(If it helps you understand me a bit more here are my grades: A* GCSE Art and Design, A* GCSE Graphics and Woodwork, Merit in GVNQ Media, B in ICT. A in As Graphics [Predicted and im sure ill get A for A2], A in As Media [sure ill get A in A2] and a High C low B in ICT [Trying for a B in A2].)

Thanks for reading, and please add anything else you think I should know id really appreciate it!

It would be even better if someone could speak to me on MSN. Just check my Myspace for my Address- www.myspace.com/sskalor

=]
Reply 1
if u don't like london, good!!

u can try this 2....northumbria, and mmu.

since this 2 is as good as ntu (3 top art and design uni in the north), specially , northumbria and mmu wins alot of big award in the design world...like the rsa and london new designer (big as design olympic for graduate student).

salford is good for their post grduate work, but it is not in the centre of manchester and the area is very depress to be honest!!

So, search about the rsa and related web site, then u will have a better picture!! and don't forgot the student survey, it helps u to understand wheather the student happy about the whole education they got in the three whole year , not just judge by one open day (they can easily make u happy in one day!!)

hope it helps:cool:
Reply 2
kk8899
if u don't like london, good!!

u can try this 2....northumbria, and mmu.

since this 2 is as good as ntu (3 top art and design uni in the north), specially , northumbria and mmu wins alot of big award in the design world...like the rsa and london new designer (big as design olympic for graduate student).

salford is good for their post grduate work, but it is not in the centre of manchester and the area is very depress to be honest!!

So, search about the rsa and related web site, then u will have a better picture!! and don't forgot the student survey, it helps u to understand wheather the student happy about the whole education they got in the three whole year , not just judge by one open day (they can easily make u happy in one day!!)

hope it helps:cool:

Thanks! Well that is helpful, except Teeside have accepted me now after my interview. So if accepted NTU is my firm choice, and im happy falling back onto Teeside if I dont make it into Nottingham Trent.

So what I really need is tips for NTU Interview/Portfolio :P

Thanks again
If they don't ask for a foundation, they're not too good. Do one, beef up your portfolio, then apply somewhere worth applying to.
Reply 4
LadyEnglish
If they don't ask for a foundation, they're not too good. Do one, beef up your portfolio, then apply somewhere worth applying to.

Not ONE Graphic Course has said its compulsery to have a Foundation. Nottingham Trent is rated as one of the best in the country and hasn't made it compulsery.

Nottingham Trent said 80% of people they accept have done Foundation, and like 5% did BTEC leaving 15% who did just A Levels - This was at the Open Day. My reasons for not doing foundation is deep, but basically its an option that i cant really take.

I think me and my portfolio are good enough to get into that 15% of ALevelers :P which is why I ask for some really key points that I might not have learnt to increase my chances.

In your point are you saying Nottingham Trent/Teeside arnt worth applying too? Also what Foundation experiance do you have?
Skalor
Not ONE Graphic Course has said its compulsery to have a Foundation. Nottingham Trent is rated as one of the best in the country and hasn't made it compulsery.

Nottingham Trent said 80% of people they accept have done Foundation, and like 5% did BTEC leaving 15% who did just A Levels - This was at the Open Day. My reasons for not doing foundation is deep, but basically its an option that i cant really take.

I think me and my portfolio are good enough to get into that 15% of ALevelers :P which is why I ask for some really key points that I might not have learnt to increase my chances.

In your point are you saying Nottingham Trent/Teeside arnt worth applying too? Also what Foundation experiance do you have?

Well to be honest I'm drawing on Art + Design statistics, not Graphic Design specifically so I guess for a more specific subject it makes sense to not make a foundation course compulsory.
I'm sure Nottingham Trent/Teeside are great and i hope you get in :smile:
Reply 6
LadyEnglish
Well to be honest I'm drawing on Art + Design statistics, not Graphic Design specifically so I guess for a more specific subject it makes sense to not make a foundation course compulsory.
I'm sure Nottingham Trent/Teeside are great and i hope you get in :smile:

Teeside have accepted me, and ive sent work off to Nottingham Trent to compete for an interview. I think ive definatly found my specific subject as brand identity.

I was more impressed with Teeside Open Day/Interview but Nottingham has better degree and employment stats which inclines me towards Nottingham. So lets hope they accept me too.
Skalor
Teeside have accepted me, and ive sent work off to Nottingham Trent to compete for an interview. I think ive definatly found my specific subject as brand identity.

I was more impressed with Teeside Open Day/Interview but Nottingham has better degree and employment stats which inclines me towards Nottingham. So lets hope they accept me too.

Yeah I'd say for longevity studying at Nottingham sounds like the better deal. Good luck with getting an interview :biggrin: x
Reply 8
Thank You :smile:

Latest