The Student Room Group

Cambridge Music Degree

Are there any books anyone would recommend that I read before applying for music at Cambridge?
Thanks!
Hi My daughter has just finished her first year today (loving it) The most popular pre application read is A very short introduction to music by Nicholas Cook Also other short music related short introductions in the same series. (world music, ethnomusicology etc) these are fairly easy to read.She also read Guide to musical analysis by Nicholas Cook (felt this was really useful and helpful) Musical performance by J Rink (one of the professors @ Cam) Musicology the key concepts David Beard.If I remember correctly she looked up the first years recommended reading list so that may also be a good starting point.Good luck with your application
Reply 2
Original post by wonderland2
Hi My daughter has just finished her first year today (loving it) The most popular pre application read is A very short introduction to music by Nicholas Cook Also other short music related short introductions in the same series. (world music, ethnomusicology etc) these are fairly easy to read.She also read Guide to musical analysis by Nicholas Cook (felt this was really useful and helpful) Musical performance by J Rink (one of the professors @ Cam) Musicology the key concepts David Beard.If I remember correctly she looked up the first years recommended reading list so that may also be a good starting point.Good luck with your application

Thank you so much!
... and if you want a good solid read that goes outside of Music: A Very Short Introduction by NIcholas Cook (that most applicants read and quote) then I would recommend either of Alex Ross' excellent books Listen To This and/or The Rest is Noise.

Good luck with your application.
Reply 4
Original post by sir albert
... and if you want a good solid read that goes outside of Music: A Very Short Introduction by NIcholas Cook (that most applicants read and quote) then I would recommend either of Alex Ross' excellent books Listen To This and/or The Rest is Noise.

Good luck with your application.

Absolutely fantastic - thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending