The Student Room Group

do you think i have a realistic chance for medicine @ cambridge

Hi, do you think i have a realistic chance to be offered the initial interview for cambridge? I know its VERY competitive and I know they'll also look at other things such as personal statement etc. but with these grades will i have a chance?
Im in year 12 atm and I've got 5A*s, 4As and a B at GCSE. I sat an AS early i got a B in that. Also just sat my maths A Level in which i was predicted an A (hopeful to get an A*). And i've got As in all the mocks i sat this summer in Physics, Biology and Chemistry so should get A/A* predicted grades

Like I said, i know its very competitve to get in and I know i'll be up against some very worthy candidates. I'm worried that my GCSE's will ruin my chances slightly.
Opinions?
Reply 1
Original post by ishaniss
Hi, do you think i have a realistic chance to be offered the initial interview for cambridge? I know its VERY competitive and I know they'll also look at other things such as personal statement etc. but with these grades will i have a chance?
Im in year 12 atm and I've got 5A*s, 4As and a B at GCSE. I sat an AS early i got a B in that. Also just sat my maths A Level in which i was predicted an A (hopeful to get an A*). And i've got As in all the mocks i sat this summer in Physics, Biology and Chemistry so should get A/A* predicted grades

Like I said, i know its very competitve to get in and I know i'll be up against some very worthy candidates. I'm worried that my GCSE's will ruin my chances slightly.
Opinions?

They interview anyone with a realistic prospect of achieving the typical offer, and generally approx 60% of medicine applicants. So yes you have a reasonable chance of interview.
Original post by Doonesbury
They interview anyone with a realistic prospect of achieving the typical offer, and generally approx 60% of medicine applicants. So yes you have a reasonable chance of interview.

thankyou for taking your time to reply. its appreciated
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ishaniss
thankyou for taking your time to reply. its appreciated

No problem :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
GCSEs are irrelevant to Cambridge. Also, if you get an A* in maths this summer I think that would boost your chances for getting an interview and perhaps even an offer because most applicants won't have any results yet...
Reply 5
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
GCSEs are irrelevant to Cambridge. Also, if you get an A* in maths this summer I think that would boost your chances for getting an interview and perhaps even an offer because most applicants won't have any results yet...

No they aren't irrelevant. Just not as important as some other aspects. But 5 A*s is fine anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I think your GCSEs should be fine. Your BMAT will be a major factor so make sure you prepare adequately for that. A lot will come down to your predictions too (Cambridge is pretty heavy on A levels and I think they typically expect at least A*A*A*). :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by StationToStation
Yeah I think your GCSEs should be fine. Your BMAT will be a major factor so make sure you prepare adequately for that. A lot will come down to your predictions too (Cambridge is pretty heavy on A levels and I think they typically expect at least A*A*A*). :smile:

Nearly but not quite: A*A*A is the typical offer for all science courses including Medicine at Cambridge. Any prediction that matches the typical offer is fine. But if it's below that can be troublesome. :smile:
Nearly but not quite: A*A*A is the typical offer for all science courses including Medicine at Cambridge. Any prediction that matches the typical offer is fine. But if it's below that can be troublesome. :smile:

True, it's not an actual requirement - but if you e.g. look at the stats on the last page of this document it's pretty easy to see that most successful applicants did have at least A*A*A* and there's a pretty high correlation between the UMS marks of your best three sciences and your chance of an offer. (I'm not sure if they look at UMS because of the new A levels but I assume they'll still be v heavy on A levels.)

In case OP is predicted "just" A*A*A they'd still technically have a chance. But in that situation, especially if their BMAT doesn't go as well as they hoped and given their GCSEs, I think it would be wise to consider whether applying to Cambridge would be worth the risk given that most medicine applicants get zero offers and applying to places where you are a strong applicant is absolutely crucial. It could be worth it - I probably sound a bit pessimistic lol but I'm saying all this because I think it's important to be aware of the odds you're facing and then make an informed decision about whether to apply. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by StationToStation
True, it's not an actual requirement - but if you e.g. look at the stats on the last page of this document it's pretty easy to see that most successful applicants did have at least A*A*A* and there's a pretty high correlation between the UMS marks of your best three sciences and your chance of an offer. (I'm not sure if they look at UMS because of the new A levels but I assume they'll still be v heavy on A levels.)

In case OP is predicted "just" A*A*A they'd still technically have a chance. But in that situation, especially if their BMAT doesn't go as well as they hoped and given their GCSEs, I think it would be wise to consider whether applying to Cambridge would be worth the risk given that most medicine applicants get zero offers and applying to places where you are a strong applicant is absolutely crucial. It could be worth it - I probably sound a bit pessimistic lol but I'm saying all this because I think it's important to be aware of the odds you're facing and then make an informed decision about whether to apply. :smile:

Back in the day when UMS was still available for most applicants:
Medicine GCSE & UMS.jpg

You can see that yes higher UMS was helpful, but there is a wide spread of offers.

Of course a "weak" BMAT or interview or whatever would be "a bad thing" but actually the overall offer rate for medicine at Cambridge is by no means the "worst" of the med schools.

Edit: to be clear - Cambridge don't pay much attention to predictions, unless they are below the typical offer.
(edited 6 years ago)
No they aren't irrelevant. Just not as important as some other aspects. But 5 A*s is fine anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay. So if someone had 0 A* at GCSE, would they be disadvantaged when applyng to Cambridge? I'd have thought not...
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
Okay. So if someone had 0 A* at GCSE, would they be disadvantaged when applyng to Cambridge? I'd have thought not...

Look at the chart above your post. Offers exist at that level but are rather uncommon. So yes they are disadvantaged but not insurmountably.
Look at the chart above your post. Offers exist at that level but are rather uncommon. So yes they are disadvantaged but not insurmountably.

Interesting chart. Thanks for sharing...

Hi! So the offer for Medicine would not be significantly higher than that for Natural Sciences?
Reply 14
Original post by anson825
Hi! So the offer for Medicine would not be significantly higher than that for Natural Sciences?

It isn't. They are both A*A*A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It isn't. They are both A*A*A.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm from Hong Kong, so the biggest problem for Medicine will then be the quota
Reply 16
Original post by anson825
I'm from Hong Kong, so the biggest problem for Medicine will then be the quota

Yes.

Quick Reply

Latest