The Student Room Group

Should I move schools for sixth form?

Basically, my school is doing IB only from the year I go into sixth form, it seems so pointless for me to do English and German because I don't need it and it'll weigh down my overall score because I'm not that good at the subjects. For A-Levels I will have to move schools but only have to do the 3 subjects I really want to do and Economics on the side to keep my options open (I might drop Economics after Year 12 if I don't like it, other options are Bio, Chem and Maths).

So that's the academic dilemma but socially, is it really worth moving schools and having to get to know new people (also it is an all girls school with a mixed sixth form).

I am fairly certain I can cope with IB and I think it'll give me good skills I can transfer to Uni when doing medicine BUT A-Levels will be so much easier and I'll have so much more free time. What do I do?
Original post by humayun.h
Basically, my school is doing IB only from the year I go into sixth form, it seems so pointless for me to do English and German because I don't need it and it'll weigh down my overall score because I'm not that good at the subjects. For A-Levels I will have to move schools but only have to do the 3 subjects I really want to do and Economics on the side to keep my options open (I might drop Economics after Year 12 if I don't like it, other options are Bio, Chem and Maths).

So that's the academic dilemma but socially, is it really worth moving schools and having to get to know new people (also it is an all girls school with a mixed sixth form).

I am fairly certain I can cope with IB and I think it'll give me good skills I can transfer to Uni when doing medicine BUT A-Levels will be so much easier and I'll have so much more free time. What do I do?

If you think a levels will suit you better go for that
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
If you think a levels will suit you better go for that

Yeah I think deep down I want to do A Levels but I dont want to leave me friends I guess :frown:
Induction days are coming so I guess I'll make me final decision then.
Yeah I think deep down I want to do A Levels but I dont want to leave me friends I guess :frown:

If they are decent friends you could still see them outside of school
When I left year 11 I was faced with the decision to stay at the sixth form of my school or to go to a different sixth form in a town that's about 20 minutes away from where I live. I didn't have to pick between doing the IB or alevels, but I was picking primarily between where I would have most success. I ended up deciding to stay on at the sixth form of my school, purely for convenience, and to stay with my friends, even though I knew that the other sixth form was better as it was specially dedicated to the sciences which is what I studied. Two years later, I have just finished my alevels at a sixth form which was quite frankly absolutely awful. There is no doubt that the teaching I received there completely jeopardised mine and my friends' results. And I have spent 2 years regretting not taking the risk, making the extra effort and going to a different sixth form. Do what you know is right, not what is easiest! At the end of the day if your friends can't keep In contact with you while you're elsewhere they're not real friends anyway. Plus if you're worried about making new friends at the other sixth form, the reality is that you will, but having only a couple of friends is beneficial through sixth form because you barely have any time whatsoever.
Reply 5
Original post by hollyedwards98
When I left year 11 I was faced with the decision to stay at the sixth form of my school or to go to a different sixth form in a town that's about 20 minutes away from where I live. I didn't have to pick between doing the IB or alevels, but I was picking primarily between where I would have most success. I ended up deciding to stay on at the sixth form of my school, purely for convenience, and to stay with my friends, even though I knew that the other sixth form was better as it was specially dedicated to the sciences which is what I studied. Two years later, I have just finished my alevels at a sixth form which was quite frankly absolutely awful. There is no doubt that the teaching I received there completely jeopardised mine and my friends' results. And I have spent 2 years regretting not taking the risk, making the extra effort and going to a different sixth form. Do what you know is right, not what is easiest! At the end of the day if your friends can't keep In contact with you while you're elsewhere they're not real friends anyway. Plus if you're worried about making new friends at the other sixth form, the reality is that you will, but having only a couple of friends is beneficial through sixth form because you barely have any time whatsoever.

Thanks for telling me that, I know it's gonna play a big role in what I decide. I just did my IB school induction day and it honestly went so well; I talked to a lot of the students doing IB and they tell me its stressful but way better for medicine. It really is going to come down to next Friday where I've got the induction day for the A Levels school.

You can still keep in touch with your friends and see them outside of school.
And if you go to a new place you can make new friends as well.

Quick Reply

Latest