The Student Room Group

RAF TMU

Hey, ive been going through the medical process for quite a few months now. As left TMU because of my heart murmur. Seen 2 cardiologists and my gp. All saying im fine. However got another reply couple of days ago saying im still TMU and going to a senior member. due to sinus bradycardia. When talking to a professor who did my first cardiology appointment my slow heart rate was a result of my exercise. When i say exercise i regular cycle and occasionally race. Should i be worried. And how long should i wait before asking? As most times i get letters they give a time when be reviewed but latest has no meantion. Know that no news can be good news. However have i got any input saying okay my heart rate is slow when resting because i just have decent cardio due to my fitness.
Original post by Jameshar90
Hey, ive been going through the medical process for quite a few months now. As left TMU because of my heart murmur. Seen 2 cardiologists and my gp. All saying im fine. However got another reply couple of days ago saying im still TMU and going to a senior member. due to sinus bradycardia. When talking to a professor who did my first cardiology appointment my slow heart rate was a result of my exercise. When i say exercise i regular cycle and occasionally race. Should i be worried. And how long should i wait before asking? As most times i get letters they give a time when be reviewed but latest has no meantion. Know that no news can be good news. However have i got any input saying okay my heart rate is slow when resting because i just have decent cardio due to my fitness.

Having been in a similar situation to yourself ( I was TMU'd last April until August for a heart murmur (which thankfully is benign) the process can/does and will take a while.
I know of a Air Traffic Controller who has an incredibly slow heart rate, similar to yourself, due to cycling at a very competitive level.

In regards to your input, I certainly stand to be corrected, I'm afraid you will just have to go along with the process.

Hopefully upon seeing the Senior Member, things will start to progress forward for you.

Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by 0902
Having been in a similar situation to yourself ( I was TMU'd last April until August for a heart murmur (which thankfully is benign) the process can/does and will take a while.
I know of a Air Traffic Controller who has an incredibly slow heart rate, similar to yourself, due to cycling at a very competitive level.

In regards to your input, I certainly stand to be corrected, I'm afraid you will just have to go along with the process.

Hopefully upon seeing the Senior Member, things will start to progress forward for you.

Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, just gutting really have been hoping to get in for end of august as going in as a photographer, which i know only roughly has two intakes a year. Started the application in sept
Reply 3
Feeling very optimistic this week my review will be done. After weds it will be 3 weeks since got email saying going to a senior medical officer. I know no news is good news. Just keeping myself hyped for the next stage. Thinking about it i tried the raf when i was 18/19 years age but said wasnt experienced enough. Went out and did things to gain experience in life. Getting back and completing the process will be incredibly rewarding.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
finally over nearly 5/6 months getting a review again next week. hopefully get good news
Original post by Jameshar90
finally over nearly 5/6 months getting a review again next week. hopefully get good news

Stick with it, they are beginning to take a sensible approach to these 'over fit' hearts.
Reply 6
Glimmer of hope. Called last friday having a hopefully conversation. Nothing for definite however dicussion went on the lines, the outlook looks good, after looking at the file and asked about when i would be free for the fitness test. Answer being anytime. Lucky to have friends at work what know will cover me any point. Just have to wait for the email confirming all this.
Reply 7
Offically medically fit :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest