The Student Room Group

BTEC - to Russell Group - First Class - AMA

Dear all,

BTEC students have always been criticised due to the fact it's not a "traditional route" to university.

I studied a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business & have finished my first year at a Russell Group university, feel free to ask me any questions.

Pursuing a Bachelor of Science.

Scroll to see replies

which university?
Reply 4
They should remain criticised as a way of getting to university - whilst I congratulate you on your success, you are an anomaly
Original post by noor.m
which university?

UCL my son
Original post by Inister
They should remain criticised as a way of getting to university - whilst I congratulate you on your success, you are an anomaly

Many thanks. BTEC is very demanding in terms of the work load through-out the year. If your case is correct, why do the top universties accept these qualifications?

I personally completed my BTEC alongside an A level - which helped me build the bridge with examinations, as well as the coursework aspect. It paid off.
congrats, what did you read?

what are your career aspirations & thoughts on UCL?
Reply 8
TBH BTEC gets a bad rep because it is easier, don't know any of the BTEC people at my school who did put in more than 5 hours extra a week (there are over 60 of them out of 250), whereas A level standard is 20 hours plus per week, on top of lessons. In my experience, BTEC is disparaged because it IS easier
Original post by ozilll
congrats, what did you read?

what are your career aspirations & thoughts on UCL?

Many thanks.

Career aspirations: Most likely top 4 tech house or possibly Investment Banking.. work myself up there, set up a tech firm.. Get on that self-employed life once bored of the city..

UCL - Right in the centre of the capital, everything is there. Great facilities, student life is good, meet lots of other people through other uni's around the area. Teaching quality may be lacking, however they're still up too scratch.
Career service & propesects are amazing since it's a target uni for most top employers.
UCL?!?! that's a uni i could only dream of getting in to but i'm not going to bother, many many congratulations!
Original post by RBP_98
TBH BTEC gets a bad rep because it is easier, don't know any of the BTEC people at my school who did put in more than 5 hours extra a week (there are over 60 of them out of 250), whereas A level standard is 20 hours plus per week, on top of lessons. In my experience, BTEC is disparaged because it IS easier

I can agree. The work is much easier compared to the traditional A-levels, however BTEC students put effort in through-out the year, with regards to the amount of coursework they recieve and have to complete. We have 18 units in total. I would advise potential students to complement their BTEC with an A level.
Original post by DreamsCanHappen
Many thanks.

Career aspirations: Most likely top 4 tech house or possibly Investment Banking.. work myself up there, set up a tech firm.. Get on that self-employed life once bored of the city..

UCL - Right in the centre of the capital, everything is there. Great facilities, student life is good, meet lots of other people through other uni's around the area. Teaching quality may be lacking, however they're still up too scratch.
Career service & propesects are amazing since it's a target uni for most top employers.

Congrats bruddah, what did u study?
I don't think any top unis accept btecs with no a levels tho. A levels are more likely to get u in to a top uni I reckon, but its still possible with btecs.
Original post by noor.m
UCL?!?! that's a uni i could only dream of getting in to but i'm not going to bother, many many congratulations!

Before fixing up my son, I was looking at Birmigham City University, Bouremouth university - these uni's aren't punching the top 100 mark in the UK. As my username states, DreamsCanHappen. Don't give up!
Original post by Khanman123
Congrats bruddah, what did u study?
I don't think any top unis accept btecs with no a levels tho. A levels are more likely to get u in to a top uni I reckon, but its still possible with btecs.

Yeah of course. A levels are the prefered choice in terms of entry to a top university. However, BTEC's have proven in recent years and a lot more russell groups are accepting them and students are performing very well.
What course did you do?
Original post by Yoyoyo4
What course did you do?

Management Science - BSc
Extended Diploma - Distinction in all units. 420 UCAS points (D*D*D*) - Complemented with CompSci A level - Grade A.
Read the thread before you speak on my thread.

UCL & BSc Management Science.
No problem.

Joint disipline degree, complemented with maths, stats, programming and various management modules.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending