The Student Room Group

MRes Biomedical Sciences- Glasgow Uni

Hello everyone,

I am due to start on my Master's in Glasgow Uni in September (MRes Biomedical Sciences http://www.gla.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/biomedicalsciencesmres/ ).

I have been trying to enquire into the taught component of the degree, aka what modules will be on offer and whether we will be offered any choice subjects.

However, it looks like they haven't finalized the course structure yet -understandable- and instead they directed me to the all-inclusive bioscience module catalogue, which I have already looked at plenty of times myself-level 5 modules of course. http://www.gla.ac.uk/coursecatalogue/courselist/?code=BIOL&name=Biology+and+Biomedical+Sciences

The question is to people who have taken the course or are taking it at the moment - how is the taught component like? Do you have any choice subjects?

Thanks everyone

Eleanna
Reply 1
Hello,

I'm also due to start this September. Having looked at the My Classes section of the mycampus website it would appear that all the taught modules are compulsory (or they are at least for now). The taught modules are BIOL5149, 5152 and 5303 (Taught from September to January). Projects modules are 5150P which runs in semester 2 (14 weeks up to April/May), and then 5151P which runs through the summer.

Louis

P.s The months/timings are estimates based on the info available.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Louis94
Hello,

I'm also due to start this September. Having looked at the My Classes section of the mycampus website it would appear that all the taught modules are compulsory (or they are at least for now). The taught modules are BIOL5149, 5152 and 5303 (Taught from September to January). Projects modules are 5150P which runs in semester 2 (14 weeks up to April/May), and then 5151P which runs through the summer.

Louis

P.s The months/timings are estimates based on the info available.

Thanks! Saw that now. I am actually on a wild hunt for reading lists for the above (even if I could find last year's perhaps?), but they do not seem to be available yet. If you get anything and wouldn't mind sharing the info I'd be grateful! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by ChaosSpirit
Thanks! Saw that now. I am actually on a wild hunt for reading lists for the above (even if I could find last year's perhaps?), but they do not seem to be available yet. If you get anything and wouldn't mind sharing the info I'd be grateful! :biggrin:

I'll share anything that I find, although, I have a feeling it will be largely based on primary literature for the most part (judging by one of the exams being on a research paper).
Reply 4
Original post by Louis94
I'll share anything that I find, although, I have a feeling it will be largely based on primary literature for the most part (judging by one of the exams being on a research paper).

Thank you very much for that. Yes, that is my guess as well; however they do have courses that are based on established knowledge in fields within biology (like their Endocrinology module).

I wouldn't mind in the slightest to get cracking on some of those papers, but considering the biosciences field is moving so rapidly, they probably update their readings on a frequent basis.

I actually wrote to one of the course co-ordinators about it, who basically responded that I should give it a rest and there'll be plenty of time for reading int he actual course (neeeeeeeerrrrd).
Reply 5
Thank you very much for that. Yes, that is my guess as well; however they do have courses that are based on established knowledge in fields within biology (like their Endocrinology module).

I wouldn't mind in the slightest to get cracking on some of those papers, but considering the biosciences field is moving so rapidly, they probably update their readings on a frequent basis.

I actually wrote to one of the course co-ordinators about it, who basically responded that I should give it a rest and there'll be plenty of time for reading int he actual course (neeeeeeeerrrrd).

:biggrin:, I guess it is slightly early.

I suppose if you wanted to do some background reading the text books; Cellular Endocrinology in Health and Disease by Alfredo Ulloa-Aguirre and P. Michael Conn and Endocrinology of the Heart in Health and Disease by Jonathan C. Schisler, Charles H. Lang and Monte Willis. Both books are on the university library system (and happen to be the only recent books covering broad topics) and happen to be available in ebook form on the library website (but I think it requires an active library account to view them). Failing that you could try looking up recent papers by members of staff that are involved in the teaching of the modules.
Reply 6
Original post by Louis94
:biggrin:, I guess it is slightly early.

I suppose if you wanted to do some background reading the text books; Cellular Endocrinology in Health and Disease by Alfredo Ulloa-Aguirre and P. Michael Conn and Endocrinology of the Heart in Health and Disease by Jonathan C. Schisler, Charles H. Lang and Monte Willis. Both books are on the university library system (and happen to be the only recent books covering broad topics) and happen to be available in ebook form on the library website (but I think it requires an active library account to view them). Failing that you could try looking up recent papers by members of staff that are involved in the teaching of the modules.

Thank you for your excellent and educated suggestions which I will definitely consider; I am also the bearer of good news: today the material for Molecular Genetics of Disease was put up on Moodle!!! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Thank you for your excellent and educated suggestions which I will definitely consider; I am also the bearer of good news: today the material for Molecular Genetics of Disease was put up on Moodle!!! :biggrin:

It is not a problem :smile:, I will have a look over the next few days.
Reply 8
I am also planning to start the course by this september and i would like to know more information about the research project?
Reply 9
Hello

Im due to start this course in September having just met my conditions. I've also been trying to find more information on it like OP but havent been that successful. Since you guys have presumably completed a large portion of the course I was wondering if you could shed some light? How was the taught element and how are your projects coming along? Id really appreciate it if yous could send me some module handbooks and anything else you think would be useful prior to starting.

Cheers

Adam
I’m about to start in September also, so any help will be greatly appreciated. Also does anyone know how many exams there are and when? As I have my brothers wedding in another country in April and scared I will have to miss it x
Original post by amcn67
Hello

Im due to start this course in September having just met my conditions. I've also been trying to find more information on it like OP but havent been that successful. Since you guys have presumably completed a large portion of the course I was wondering if you could shed some light? How was the taught element and how are your projects coming along? Id really appreciate it if yous could send me some module handbooks and anything else you think would be useful prior to starting.

Cheers

Adam

Hey! I’m planning on doing the course as well. Do you know what the taught modules are like? Do they have any exams?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending