The Student Room Group

Independent A-levels for summer 2018?

I'm thinking of doing independent a-levels through NEC (National Extension College), and I'm thinking of taking these three a-levels; Law, Philosophy and 'Government & Politics'. I'm hoping to finish all the required material for this and take the exams in summer 2018...realistically speaking is this possible to do or not?
If I were to simply focus on studying is this something which I could do or does it need 2 years in order to do this?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by LilyRose00x
I'm thinking of doing independent a-levels through NEC (National Extension College), and I'm thinking of taking these three a-levels; Law, Philosophy and 'Government & Politics'. I'm hoping to finish all the required material for this and take the exams in summer 2018...realistically speaking is this possible to do or not?
If I were to simply focus on studying is this something which I could do or does it need 2 years in order to do this?

Thanks in advance :smile:

The new A Levels are a linear course, so typically you take the exam at the end of the 2 year course but I do think it's risky trying to learn 2 years worth of content in half the time and by ready for the exams. I guess it's at your own risk but all the best. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
The new A Levels are a linear course, so typically you take the exam at the end of the 2 year course but I do think it's risky trying to learn 2 years worth of content in half the time and by ready for the exams. I guess it's at your own risk but all the best. :smile:

thanks for the reply it is most appreciated :smile:

but as in regards to taking 3 a levels don't some people do 6 a levels in 2 years, so if I was to do 3 in a year shouldn't that be ok? (I'm simply wondering cause I did my schooling outside the uk so I'm inexperienced in regards to knowing what the work load is going to be like)
- I also have background-to-subtantial knowledge in two of the 3 A levels I was thinking of doing so hopefully that will help me to understand the materials at a faster pace and thereby finish them in a year.

additionally do you (or anyone reading this) know any good/reputable distance learning providers? I've found a few such as NEC, ICS, Oxford, Interhigh etc and atm I'm leaning towards NEC but still haven't made up my mind.
Has anyone had any experiences with NEC and if so could you share what you thought about them and if it was worth the money
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by LilyRose00x
thanks for the reply it is most appreciated :smile:

but as in regards to taking 3 a levels don't some people do 6 a levels in 2 years, so if I was to do 3 in a year shouldn't that be ok? (I'm simply wondering cause I did my schooling outside the uk so I'm inexperienced in regards to knowing what the work load is going to be like)

The vast majority of students take 3, 3.5 (3 A levels and an AS) or 4 A levels.
A very small number of people do 5 and a tiny number do more. 3 in a year will be challenging but if you already have substantial relevant knowledge in 2 of them it may be doable. Make a start, assess your progress, if it's going well register for exams and if not then delay for a year.

Quick Reply

Latest