The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Idk lol. Most guys are not tall to me and I am 5 ft 5. I think the average height for a man is grossly exaggerated and is around 5 ft 7-8
Avg height for British males is actually 5'8.5 after considering all anomolies. 6' is the height which is attractively tall for most women and not intimidatingly tall likes 6'3+
The world average height for a male is around 5'7-5'8.
The UK average for a male is 5'10.
We're tall because we're a Germanic country, not to mention, we're in Western Europe too. So 6'0 is pretty average for an anglo-saxon male.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by razza dazza
Why do some people portray 6 foot to be really tall? By that i mean people who are even 5'9".The average height of a human male is 5'10". So 6 foot is only slightly more than average by 2 inches. So 6 foot is above average, not tall. So why is it seen as a big deal?

I'm 6'1" which is pretty tall for an Indian. In fact my leg length is so long I can't buy trousers from most shops there.
Reply 5
Original post by Imperialistic
The world average height for a male is around 5'7-5'8.
The UK average for a male is 5'10.
We're tall because we're a Germanic country, not to mention, we're in Western Europe too. So 6'0 is pretty average for an anglo-saxon male.

I agree
Reply 6
Original post by SGHD26716
I'm 6'1" which is pretty tall for an Indian. In fact my leg length is so long I can't buy trousers from most shops there.

Nice man I am an Indian at 6'3"
Reply 7
Nice man I am an Indian at 6'3"

Bloody hell mate.

I think I got slightly lucky with my height because no one in my family, bar my grandfather is above 6ft.
Reply 8
Why do some people portray 6 foot to be really tall? By that i mean people who are even 5'9".The average height of a human male is 5'10". So 6 foot is only slightly more than average by 2 inches. So 6 foot is above average, not tall. So why is it seen as a big deal?

6 foot is a manlet in the current era
An average height for an European man is 177 centimeters, or 5'10. Globally, it's slightly less at 172 centimeters, or 5'8.

Therefore, the figure of 183cm and over (6 feet and over) is a reasonable ballpark when a man is more or less above average in every part of the world and when he is likely to be taller then the vast majority of women around him. This figure is thus heavily attractive to prospective female partners because it implies strength, vitality and good genetics.
6'0" isn't tall at all nowadays.
Reply 11
6ft is standard tall, not really tall , really tall is at least 6'4, the average height of guys is probably 5'9
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

I know that's what i am trying to say.
well i am 6 1 and feel like a friggin giant when walking around the city looking over every ones heads i rarely pass anyone who is talker than me
Well it is tall is mostly being above average 3 inches above average is quite significant and don't try and say 5
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

It is quite tall in most cases I'm 182 and people who say they are 6 foot are ussauly shorter than me people bs the legit average is what 5"9 yeah there are people a lot taller than 6 foot but they are not standard tall they are really tall and usually tall.
I am a 6ft 1 Ghanaian male who lives in Ghana and I hardly pass by people who are taller than me when walking around.It depends on where you live though.It seems we are on the same page.
Reply 17
I don't get it either, I'm 6'1 - Above average, taller than most people but I wouldnt describe myself as a tall guy. I think average height increases from generation to generation. I think in our 90's generation, I consider 'tall' as 6'3
I think a part of it is because we are still getting taller by generation.. so while the average height for all males in the UK may be 5 9 or so, I would be willing to bet the average height fro males in their early 20s, is higher.

For me, I am exactly 6' and I don't consider myself to be tall enough for it to be of note.. no one has ever come up to me in the UK and said I am tall, or reacted to me as a tall person.. for young people, I would say anything from 5'8 to 6'1 or so, and your just in the 'normal' range, you may be at the high end of normal or the low.. but I don't think people would call you short or tall particularly frequently...

My friends who are 6'3 and above, they are the ones who start to get refferd to as 'the tall guy' 'my tall friend' 'oh my god your tall' etc.
Why do some people portray 6 foot to be really tall? By that i mean people who are even 5'9".The average height of a human male is 5'10". So 6 foot is only slightly more than average by 2 inches. So 6 foot is above average, not tall. So why is it seen as a big deal

So how tall are you? why is it bothering you so much?