The Student Room Group

Should I change driving instructor?

I was 100% test ready in May and failed on one stupid mistake, which was positioning. After my test, my instructor told me to rebook for the soonest date, and that's what I did. My second test was booked for June, and then my instructor dropped off the face of the Earth for three weeks, coming back a week before my test to let me know that he'd bought a new car. Everything seemed fine in the text with him telling me that the car was the same, only a sport version. He then arranged a lesson two days before my test on the Saturday morning and decided that he was going to teach me a different way to drive.

Before, I released the clutch fully before adding any gas. I'd been told by my partner and friends that I'd stall other cars driving like this, but was convinced my instructor knew best. Now, he has taught me to lift the clutch and add gas, just like everyone else had been telling me. I stalled the car numerous times because my footwork had completely changed. This caused me (an already nervous driver) to panic my entire lesson because I was waiting to stall every time I stopped at lights. I ended up doing everything wrong that lesson, even my manoeuvres, because of the nerves and he told me I was not test-ready anymore and had to push my test date back again, to August, and blamed me for not taking more lessons before that night. I really wish I'd said something because it wasn't my fault at all. I'd texted him multiple times for lessons and he'd ignored me.

I've had lessons with him since then, skipping one or two due to me working late, but I was, again, test-ready. Then, two nights ago, he didn't show up and that was weird. Despite the messing around he's put me through, he's not someone who doesn't text or call if he's running late or can't make it. I sent him a text after waiting an hour and never got a response until midnight and his reasoning was that he sent the text to the wrong person for a cancellation two hours before my lesson, but surely this person would have realised that text wasn't meant for them since they couldn't have possibly had the same lesson slot as me?

Should the worst happen and I don't pass my test in August, should I be looking at finding a new instructor? Everyone keeps telling me my current is messing me about, and I agree on some level, but I need some sort of validation before I pester another instructor. I've already contacted a few instructors for dates and they're all really busy (as expected around Summer time), the earliest not being able to take me on as a student until September, and I really want to pass before December, when they change the test requirements. I really don't know if it's best to stick with the same guy, or push for another instructor.
Original post by p92
I was 100% test ready in May and failed on one stupid mistake, which was positioning. After my test, my instructor told me to rebook for the soonest date, and that's what I did. My second test was booked for June, and then my instructor dropped off the face of the Earth for three weeks, coming back a week before my test to let me know that he'd bought a new car. Everything seemed fine in the text with him telling me that the car was the same, only a sport version. He then arranged a lesson two days before my test on the Saturday morning and decided that he was going to teach me a different way to drive.

Before, I released the clutch fully before adding any gas. I'd been told by my partner and friends that I'd stall other cars driving like this, but was convinced my instructor knew best. Now, he has taught me to lift the clutch and add gas, just like everyone else had been telling me. I stalled the car numerous times because my footwork had completely changed. This caused me (an already nervous driver) to panic my entire lesson because I was waiting to stall every time I stopped at lights. I ended up doing everything wrong that lesson, even my manoeuvres, because of the nerves and he told me I was not test-ready anymore and had to push my test date back again, to August, and blamed me for not taking more lessons before that night. I really wish I'd said something because it wasn't my fault at all. I'd texted him multiple times for lessons and he'd ignored me.

I've had lessons with him since then, skipping one or two due to me working late, but I was, again, test-ready. Then, two nights ago, he didn't show up and that was weird. Despite the messing around he's put me through, he's not someone who doesn't text or call if he's running late or can't make it. I sent him a text after waiting an hour and never got a response until midnight and his reasoning was that he sent the text to the wrong person for a cancellation two hours before my lesson, but surely this person would have realised that text wasn't meant for them since they couldn't have possibly had the same lesson slot as me?

Should the worst happen and I don't pass my test in August, should I be looking at finding a new instructor? Everyone keeps telling me my current is messing me about, and I agree on some level, but I need some sort of validation before I pester another instructor. I've already contacted a few instructors for dates and they're all really busy (as expected around Summer time), the earliest not being able to take me on as a student until September, and I really want to pass before December, when they change the test requirements. I really don't know if it's best to stick with the same guy, or push for another instructor.

I would definitely suggest trying another instructor. There's no reason why you can't try a few to see who you get on with? It is important to get on with the instructor well and that they make you feel at ease whilst you're learning.

I suggest asking around for suggestions as they can't all have no space until September! Considering you're nearly test ready, what about asking family members to help you out? As a provisional driver, you can be insured by a week at a time on their car and so long as they have been driving for more than three years they can teach you. You might feel more comfortable next to someone familiar, and you don't need to worry about booking lessons. I drove with my Dad alongside an instructor and the number of hours I clocked up along with driving in two different cars (one petrol and one diesel) really helped me out come test day.
i think you defo need to find another instructor.. if he is faffing you about like that,... then he is a pretty shite instructor... get another one
Reply 3
p92
OP
Original post by carrotstar
I would definitely suggest trying another instructor. There's no reason why you can't try a few to see who you get on with? It is important to get on with the instructor well and that they make you feel at ease whilst you're learning.

I suggest asking around for suggestions as they can't all have no space until September! Considering you're nearly test ready, what about asking family members to help you out? As a provisional driver, you can be insured by a week at a time on their car and so long as they have been driving for more than three years they can teach you. You might feel more comfortable next to someone familiar, and you don't need to worry about booking lessons. I drove with my Dad alongside an instructor and the number of hours I clocked up along with driving in two different cars (one petrol and one diesel) really helped me out come test day.

I'll definitely keep asking other instructors, but unfortunately nobody else in my family drives except my older brother who has only been driving for six months. (I've tried his instructor and he still hasn't responded, lol.)
Given what he's done so far and that none of the messing around he's done regarding your lessons is in his job description, then yes I would.

Remember who's pocket this is coming out of.
My first instructor is somewhat similar to how you have described your instructor. My instructor kept making me forward by 3 weeks each time just for me to take more lessons or whatever. Find a new instructor on the gov website http://finddrivinginstructor.direct.gov.uk/DSAFindNearestWebApp/findNearest.form?lang=en&_ga=2.45981036.975090463.1501436813-1171206382.1500676325 I changed instructor to the one that my mum took only one lesson and her driving school was also on the gov website.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending