The Student Room Group

Materials that useful for Architect student?

I am first year in architecture. And I would like to know what aspect that I need to develop to study this area. For example, books for basic needs or website/forum.
I mean, maths and design are the two core areas in architecture so I'd recommend focusing on books about evolution of design, ergonomics, geometry etc. as a starting point. Also, don't forget that whatever you're designing also is (ideally) going to have to be practical to build so make sure you stay on top of any publications regarding materials and development in construction methods.

I'd also suggest it's worth picking one or two less *obvious* subjects that could still influence your work, and researching that. Stage design, colour theory, marketing - hell, psychology can be really interesting when applied to design. It will help distinguish your work and develop your style.

And don't discount just listening to people who are successful designers, and I don't just mean architects. Watch the series on netflix called 'abstract' and listen to the way their minds work, because you'll learn a whole load from just hearing about their creative processes. Good luck with the course!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending