The Student Room Group

How to graduate into a job?

Hello to all. I am not in an advantageous position at the moment. I have just finished my first year in university for pharmacology and genetics. I don't have any idea of what I want to do after university though I would want ideally gain skills so I can find decent employment right after graduation instead of searching after graduation, which is too late in my opinion.

That said, I was wondering if anyone can provide some advice on what type of work experience and/or activities and procedures I should do to ensure I hit the work life, please?

Thank you for any help given.
Would you be looking for work related to your degree?

Talk to your careers advisors and you could start attending careers fairs to gauge interests in what you might like to pursue. Once you have a few ideas, look for relevant work experience and volunteering as this will really boost your chances after graduation.

Try to get in some paid work, volunteering or extra-curricular activities which will give you general skills. Perhaps getting on the committee of society? Your degree will only get you so far but if you combine it with practical experience, you will be in a better place when you graduate.
Original post by Dirus
Hello to all. I am not in an advantageous position at the moment. I have just finished my first year in university for pharmacology and genetics. I don't have any idea of what I want to do after university though I would want ideally gain skills so I can find decent employment right after graduation instead of searching after graduation, which is too late in my opinion.

That said, I was wondering if anyone can provide some advice on what type of work experience and/or activities and procedures I should do to ensure I hit the work life, please?

I swear by volunteering. Do as much and as varied as you can.
Original post by Dirus

Pharmacology and genetics isn't a field I know much about, but I would guess some kind of lab work outside of your main degree studies would help. I've heard of universities taking on undergraduate students for summer projects, your careers centre at university should be able to help you more or even your current tutors.
Original post by Dirus

Not sure about industries surrounding your subject area but most blue-chip grad jobs recruit via internships in the second year or the autumn of your final year.

If you're going into second year, internship and placement year applications open this autumn. Bear in mind that they tend to be very competitive so rejections are expected.

Before diving in to any of this stuff tho, I'd urge you to look at what careers (especially outside of your degree field) you would find interesting. Head on prospects, targetjobs, insidecareers etc and read up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending