The Student Room Group

Do I have to take two Sciences for Psychology

I'm taking the following A-Levels:
-History
-Philosophy
-Psychology

And really want to take Psychology as a degree but I see most unis prefer two Sciences.
What I'm asking is if I got A*AA in the above subjects would I be accepted to Cambridge or Oxford?
Original post by Oneiropólos
-History
-Philosophy
-Psychology

And really want to take Psychology as a degree but I see most unis prefer two Sciences.
What I'm asking is if I got A*AA in the above subjects would I be accepted to Cambridge or Oxford?

I thought most universities only require one science subject for Psychology (and most accept psychology as a science anyway), that certainly was the case for me at Glasgow. However, it might be different at Cambridge and Oxford and perhaps the majority of universities have changed their requirements overall.

Best thing you can do is check on the specific university's website and look at that entry requirements to know for sure.
-History
-Philosophy
-Psychology

For cambridge some colleges want maths or biology at a level and oxford considers psychology as a science subject so seemingly you could apply there
It is necessary to take two sciences, and preferable to take three, to study Psychology through the Natural Sciences Tripos at Cambridge. The Psychological and Behavioural Sciences Tripos however states it requires no specific subjects, although some colleges prefer or require Maths or Biology. HSPS has no preferred subjects and probably has fewer with science A-levels applying to it anyway - it actually notes an essay based subject is useful preparation.

Oxford states they highly recommend students study at least one science or maths subject, which may include Psychology, for Experimental Psychology. For Psychology, Philosophy, and Linguistics it states the same commentary on Psychology and notes Mathematics or a language is useful for the Linguistics aspect of the course.

The only course that requires multiple sciences from Oxbridge is NST at Cambridge - which doesn't even allow you to study Psychology directly until second year :tongue:

There are many more "arty" Psychology courses - it's mainly more Neuroscience/biology oriented courses that will require a science background, for most it's just a bonus if there but not something they're going to count on.
From the admissions officers from Oxbridge I've had come to my school, they've all said that yes, you do need a science to get into the Psychology courses, and while you would make their standard offer, you may not make a college with an A*A*A offer, as a few colleges do.
-History
-Philosophy
-Psychology

I'm by no means an expert, but looking at the Oxford requirements then they say you should "ideally" have studied at least one science subject (including psychology) or maths. So while they might prefer it, officially at least they would be perfectly content with your choices :smile:
Reply 6
-History
-Philosophy
-Psychology

Are you keen to do continue solely with psychology? The Psychology and Philosophy variant of PPL at Oxford aligns quite well with your A-level choices at least.
-History
-Philosophy
-Psychology

The people doing interviews at each Cambridge college (and I presume oxford) are likely to have different ideas about what a good psychology applicant should look like. I'd try to apply to one where the director of studies is a social or developmental psychologist (or less "neurosciencey" person generally) as they are not as likely to care about having maths or biology a level.

Quick Reply

Latest