The Student Room Group

Why do people lie about not doing revision/how much work they've done?

I find it odd.
If they have done a lot but say otherwise they most likely don't wish to appear as a nerd / want to impress with natural' brains.
If they have done little and exaggerate then it is to fit in and not have people say 'wow that is awful', piece of mind until the day when they wish they did the revision.
Reply 2
Original post by iyda
I find it odd.

That way they present themselves as geniuses and they probably don't regard it as "cool" to revise.
Reply 3
To bring other people down who may have not done any.
Yes, most people lie. The do a lot of revision (5-6 hours a day) then claim they do none.
I barely revised for my GCSEs, but only revised maths for 1 hour each day. Not expecting all A*s though lmao.
To give off the illusion that they're naturally smart/get lucky in exams. I used to be such a sucker and believe my friends in secondary school/university when they said they never studied or crammed last minute and yet, on results day they'd be getting straight A*s/1sts.:colonhash: I too was perplexed by their lack of honesty but as I got older, I stopped caring about what they did or did not do, and started focusing on me.
Probably society over emphasises the importance of cleverness and under emphasises the importance of working hard. so people choose to try to appear clever rather than hard working.

also you've got an excuse on hand if you don't do that well... it's difficult to admit that you tried your hardest and still failed - if you work your butt off and lie to everyone about it, you've minimised the humiliation of possible failure.

Some people don't cotton on to the amount of lying about work their friends are doing
Keep an eye out for the 'I go to a hard university but my mates go to easy universities threads' after the first exams / assignments kick in
e.g. I must work hard to come out with 2.1s but my mates at the easy university all tell me they do no work whatsoever etc.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending