The Student Room Group

Applying for Law and Politics

I'm applying for university in the next few months to start in 2018, and I'm really starting to doubt my choices. I've basically really had my heart set on studying a joint honours degree in Law and Politics. I really, really enjoy Politics and I can definitely say it is by far my favourite A Level subject along with Sociology. I also take Psychology.

I want to study to become a barrister but I'm really confused about the whole process. You study an undergraduate degree for three years, do the BPTC, and then you qualify, but also have to do vacation schemes during university? I'm just really, really overwhelmed.

I want to study the law because I find a genuine interest in it, I love public speaking (weird, I know) and I like getting involved with cases and getting to know people's concerns and helping them with it. I feel like my personality and my abilities fit what it required for a lawyer, but I've read the statistics, and it seems like there is a 1 in a billion chance of succeeding.

Plus, I don't know whether to move out for university or not (parents might not be too thrilled-that's another dilemma on its own), how to prepare for university, I don't know where I can go to speak to lawyers, people in the legal profession who can give me genuine advice, and yeah, I'm just super confused, anxious and stressed. So if there is anyone who can offer me helpful advice I'd really appreciate it. I'm starting year 13 in like a couple weeks and I'm just super, super anxious about the applying process.
Original post by mina_maf
I'm applying for university in the next few months to start in 2018, and I'm really starting to doubt my choices. I've basically really had my heart set on studying a joint honours degree in Law and Politics. I really, really enjoy Politics and I can definitely say it is by far my favourite A Level subject along with Sociology. I also take Psychology.

I want to study to become a barrister but I'm really confused about the whole process. You study an undergraduate degree for three years, do the BPTC, and then you qualify, but also have to do vacation schemes during university? I'm just really, really overwhelmed.

I want to study the law because I find a genuine interest in it, I love public speaking (weird, I know) and I like getting involved with cases and getting to know people's concerns and helping them with it. I feel like my personality and my abilities fit what it required for a lawyer, but I've read the statistics, and it seems like there is a 1 in a billion chance of succeeding.

Plus, I don't know whether to move out for university or not (parents might not be too thrilled-that's another dilemma on its own), how to prepare for university, I don't know where I can go to speak to lawyers, people in the legal profession who can give me genuine advice, and yeah, I'm just super confused, anxious and stressed. So if there is anyone who can offer me helpful advice I'd really appreciate it. I'm starting year 13 in like a couple weeks and I'm just super, super anxious about the applying process.

There is no need to panic and you have plenty of time. the only thing you need to focus on is getting top grades and going to the best uni possible

Theres plenty of good stuff on becoming a barrister here
http://digitaledition.thelawyer.com/L2B-Guide-2016/

It is very competitive, but if you are good enough then you can make it. The most difficult stages are really getting into a good uni, finding pupillage and then making a living in the early years.

Focus on grades As and A*

Whether you stay at home or move depends on which unis you can go to either way. Imo you should be flexible and go to the best one you can which means possibly moving.

The bar council has information on becoming a barrister
http://www.barcouncil.org.uk/careers/students/

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/barrister
https://www.lawcareers.net/Barristers/CareerPath

Depending where you live then you should contact your local chambers about doing a mini pupillage where you get to shadow barristers and see what they do for a few days// weeks. This will help you understand what they do and whether it might be for you.

Its not worth getting anxious about , just do the research , understand the process and then take each step one at a time.

This is an overview of the path.

Attachment not found
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
There is no need to panic and you have plenty of time. the only thing you need to focus on is getting top grades and going to the best uni possible

Theres plenty of good stuff on becoming a barrister here
http://digitaledition.thelawyer.com/L2B-Guide-2016/

It is very competitive, but if you are good enough then you can make it. The most difficult stages are really getting into a good uni, finding pupillage and then making a living in the early years.

Focus on grades As and A*

Whether you stay at home or move depends on which unis you can go to either way. Imo you should be flexible and go to the best one you can which means possibly moving.

The bar council has information on becoming a barrister
http://www.barcouncil.org.uk/careers/students/

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/barrister
https://www.lawcareers.net/Barristers/CareerPath

Depending where you live then you should contact your local chambers about doing a mini pupillage where you get to shadow barristers and see what they do for a few days// weeks. This will help you understand what they do and whether it might be for you.

Its not worth getting anxious about , just do the research , understand the process and then take each step one at a time.

This is an overview of the path.

Attachment not found

Wow! Thanks so, so much! This is really helpful, and yeah I just need to do a lot more research and find people to help figure the whole process out :smile:
Hi Mina,

Current Bar student and future Pupil Barrister here!

I really can't add much more to tigger's extremely useful post. I would reinforce two points - a) you have bags of time b) don't be too anxious.

Essentially your main concern now is doing well in your A Levels and getting into the best university you can. Keep in mind that if you do a non law degree you will have to do the conversion course and this is a least an extra year of study and costs money, but there is possible funding available. The most important thing is that you do what you love so it's more likely that you'll do well and not be miserable!

Please please don't think it's a one in a billion chance thing. One thing you'll learn about law students (at whatever level) is that many LOVE to moan about how difficult it is. Yes, it's not easy, and it's sensible to be realistic about things - but when it comes down to it, there are pupillages and training contacts out there to be had - so why on earth won't/can't you get one?

As for moving out etc - I did both (lived at home one year and was out for my first and second year) - I enjoyed both experiences, and it depends on your financial circumstances, living situation and preferences. Don't follow the crowd and weigh up in your mind what YOU feel is right for you.

In the meantime, focus on your A-levels, look after yourself, park thoughts of the Bar until after your A-levels (you'll have more time and resources to guide you on getting experience etc) and DON'T PANIC!

Year 13 will go by in flash, trust me :smile:

All the best.
Original post by Shangri_La
Hi Mina,

Current Bar student and future Pupil Barrister here!

I really can't add much more to tigger's extremely useful post. I would reinforce two points - a) you have bags of time b) don't be too anxious.

Essentially your main concern now is doing well in your A Levels and getting into the best university you can. Keep in mind that if you do a non law degree you will have to do the conversion course and this is a least an extra year of study and costs money, but there is possible funding available. The most important thing is that you do what you love so it's more likely that you'll do well and not be miserable!

Please please don't think it's a one in a billion chance thing. One thing you'll learn about law students (at whatever level) is that many LOVE to moan about how difficult it is. Yes, it's not easy, and it's sensible to be realistic about things - but when it comes down to it, there are pupillages and training contacts out there to be had - so why on earth won't/can't you get one?

As for moving out etc - I did both (lived at home one year and was out for my first and second year) - I enjoyed both experiences, and it depends on your financial circumstances, living situation and preferences. Don't follow the crowd and weigh up in your mind what YOU feel is right for you.

In the meantime, focus on your A-levels, look after yourself, park thoughts of the Bar until after your A-levels (you'll have more time and resources to guide you on getting experience etc) and DON'T PANIC!

Year 13 will go by in flash, trust me :smile:

All the best.

Thanks so much for the much needed advice. Yeah, I'll try and focus on my A Levels for now, and the year really does go by very fast :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending