The Student Room Group

Need your advice, TSR!

So I didn't get the grades for my Forensic Computing course at Portsmouth but they were nice enough to offer me an alternative course: Engineering & Technology WITH a foundation year, there's a chance after completing the foundation year I can move to the Forensic Computing course (I'm waiting to hear back from Portsmouth to confirm).

Other universities (which I didn't apply for) offer a foundation year for Forensic Computing which require the same amount of UCAS points as the Engineering foundation year.

So I'm a bit stuck, do I decline Portsmouth's offer and go through clearing in the hope of getting a Forensic Computing foundation year?

A few things to consider:

Portsmouth is only 20 minutes away from me which is why I only applied there, I wouldn't need to arrange accommodation, find a new job etc, whereas if I do go to another uni, 99% chance I'd be moving away BUT I'd be studying the course I really want to, THAT IS OF COURSE I get offered one through clearing, I suppose it's a bit of a risk declining Portsmouth if I don't find one through clearing.

Thanks guys!
Original post by VaniIIa
So I didn't get the grades for my Forensic Computing course at Portsmouth but they were nice enough to offer me an alternative course: Engineering & Technology WITH a foundation year, there's a chance after completing the foundation year I can move to the Forensic Computing course (I'm waiting to hear back from Portsmouth to confirm).

Other universities (which I didn't apply for) offer a foundation year for Forensic Computing which require the same amount of UCAS points as the Engineering foundation year.

So I'm a bit stuck, do I decline Portsmouth's offer and go through clearing in the hope of getting a Forensic Computing foundation year?

Portsmouth is only 20 minutes away from me which is why I only applied there, I wouldn't need to arrange accommodation, find a new job etc, whereas if I do go to another uni, 99% chance I'd be moving away BUT I'd be studying the course I really want to, THAT IS OF COURSE I get offered one through clearing, I suppose it's a bit of a risk declining Portsmouth if I don't find one through clearing.

Thanks guys!

If you can afford accommodation course then i would take the risk and go for what you love instead.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
If you can afford accommodation course then i would take the risk and go for what you love instead.

The thought of moving away is exciting, yet so scary though!

Say I do go through clearing and get offered a foundation Forensic Computing at uni that's far away, how long will I have to ya know.. prepare? New job, sorting out accommodation etc.
Reply 3
Any other advice???
Original post by VaniIIa

Thanks guys!

Hello Vanilla,

Did you have a look at Middlesex University? We are in a very green and residential area of London :smile:
We are in Clearing as well and we offer loads of Computing courses!
have a look here www.mdx.ac.uk/clearing :smile:

Our hotline is open until 7.30pm and the number is 02084116565.

Good luck!
Ludovica
Original post by VaniIIa
The thought of moving away is exciting, yet so scary though!

Say I do go through clearing and get offered a foundation Forensic Computing at uni that's far away, how long will I have to ya know.. prepare? New job, sorting out accommodation etc.

so sorry i missed your quote, you'd probably have a month to six weeks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending