The Student Room Group

Alternatives to SOAS for someone who doesn't want to go to university in London?

I really like everything about SOAS, but I really don't want to live in London. It's not that I dislike the city, it's that I spent the first 15 years of my life there, much of my family is there, and it's a very expensive place to live. I would like to live somewhere different, where the cost of living is a bit lower.

I want to pursue a qualification in Middle Eastern/Islamic Studies, but ideally I would be able to take a Joint Honours course with Sociology, Psychology or Linguistics as well.

I'm a British citizen although my family currently resides in County Carlow, Ireland and I speak French fluently, so I am open to studying in Ireland, France, French Switzerland (Geneva, Lausanne) or Belgium. I'm open to any suggestions on universities that I should do more research into, but I'm particularly interested in studying in Scotland, because of the opportunity to graduate with an MA.

Thank you, looking forward to your answers.
Original post by Sultan Suleyman
I really like everything about SOAS, but I really don't want to live in London. It's not that I dislike the city, it's that I spent the first 15 years of my life there, much of my family is there, and it's a very expensive place to live. I would like to live somewhere different, where the cost of living is a bit lower.

I want to pursue a qualification in Middle Eastern/Islamic Studies, but ideally I would be able to take a Joint Honours course with Sociology, Psychology or Linguistics as well.

I'm a British citizen although my family currently resides in County Carlow, Ireland and I speak French fluently, so I am open to studying in Ireland, France, French Switzerland (Geneva, Lausanne) or Belgium. I'm open to any suggestions on universities that I should do more research into, but I'm particularly interested in studying in Scotland, because of the opportunity to graduate with an MA.

Firstly I assume you are aware that as you aren't resident in the UK you aren't eligible to to get a tuition fee loan & maintainance loan? Secondly St Andrews would likely fit your bill:
https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/history/undergrad/ugmideast.html
Original post by jelly1000
Firstly I assume you are aware that as you aren't resident in the UK you aren't eligible to to get a tuition fee loan & maintainance loan? Secondly St Andrews would likely fit your bill:
https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/history/undergrad/ugmideast.html

Since I live in Ireland, I'm eligible for a fee loan, but not maintenance support. However, there are no fees for people who live in Ireland or anywhere else in the European Union aside from England at Scottish universities, so it isn't a problem.

Thank you for the recommendation, St Andrews looks like a great place.

Have you looked in to the arts international degree at Cork? You can do several subjects in year 1, including any Asian/ middle eastern studies and then pick one to major in later on?
Original post by VickiL867
Have you looked in to the arts international degree at Cork? You can do several subjects in year 1, including any Asian/ middle eastern studies and then pick one to major in later on?

I have looked at Cork, my Arabic teacher mentioned the programme you're talking about to me. However, I know that I want to get a degree in Middle Eastern/Islamic Studies and I would prefer for it to be at a strong programme because of my ideal career path and postgraduate studies. It's just that I would also like to be able to do joint honours in a social science subject, for two reasons: firstly, because it will equip me with extra knowledge that I'll need in the future for my career, and it will give me a back up just in case (for whatever reason) I'm unable to go on to postgraduate studies at Al-Azhar in Cairo or l'Institut national des langues et civilisations orientales in Paris.
Unis with appropriate degrees in the UK - St Andrews, Exeter, Manchester, Edinburgh.

Many EU Unis offer postgrad degrees in the area (in English) so that might be worth thinking about later.
Original post by returnmigrant
Unis with appropriate degrees in the UK - St Andrews, Exeter, Manchester, Edinburgh.

Many EU Unis offer postgrad degrees in the area (in English) so that might be worth thinking about later.

Thank you. I'm also considering INALCO, ENS, Université Paris 1 (Sorbonne) and either Toulouse or Montpellier for undergraduate, as I speak French. Although the undergraduate system in France is quite unique and doesn't really translate to Britain or the rest of the world, so I'm thinking it would be better to get a more standard degree and then go to France for postgraduate studies, although ideally I'd go to Al-Azhar, which is the centre of Middle Eastern and Islamic studies.
Thank you. I'm also considering INALCO, ENS, Université Paris 1 (Sorbonne) and either Toulouse or Montpellier for undergraduate, as I speak French. Although the undergraduate system in France is quite unique and doesn't really translate to Britain or the rest of the world, so I'm thinking it would be better to get a more standard degree and then go to France for postgraduate studies, although ideally I'd go to Al-Azhar, which is the centre of Middle Eastern and Islamic studies.

That's what I was going to suggest, if you speak French then the Institut national des langues et civilisations orientales (Inalco) is the obvious choice, it's essentially the French version of SOAS. It's true that the French system is a bit different, but I don't see why it wouldn't translate to Britain - I just did a quick LinkedIn search and there are graduates of Inalco living, working and studying in the UK.

I'm particularly interested in studying in Scotland, because of the opportunity to graduate with an MA.

It's true that the Scottish ancient universities award an MA (Hons) rather than a BA (Hons), not unlike the Oxbridge/Dublin MA, but it isn't a master’s degree - it's exactly the same level as an English BA.
Original post by Snufkin
That's what I was going to suggest, if you speak French then the Institut national des langues et civilisations orientales (Inalco) is the obvious choice, it's essentially the French version of SOAS. It's true that the French system is a bit different, but I don't see why it wouldn't translate to Britain - I just did a quick LinkedIn search and there are graduates of Inalco living, working and studying in the UK.

It's true that the Scottish ancient universities award an MA (Hons) rather than a BA (Hons), not unlike the Oxbridge/Dublin MA, but it isn't a master’s degree - it's exactly the same level as an English BA.

Thank you, my dad says that I should make INALCO my first choice as well.

As for the Scottish MA, it's my understanding that while it's an undergraduate degree and not the same as an MA from an English uni, like an Oxbridge MA it isn't exactly equivalent to a BA, because there is a larger research component than that which exists in English BAs. In addition to that, Scotland's universities intrigue me because (more like American universities and less like English universities) in your first and second year you have the opportunity to take modules in areas that you're interested in that aren't necessarily connected to your course of study.
Thank you, my dad says that I should make INALCO my first choice as well.

As for the Scottish MA, it's my understanding that while it's an undergraduate degree and not the same as an MA from an English uni, like an Oxbridge MA it isn't exactly equivalent to a BA, because there is a larger research component than that which exists in English BAs. In addition to that, Scotland's universities intrigue me because (more like American universities and less like English universities) in your first and second year you have the opportunity to take modules in areas that you're interested in that aren't necessarily connected to your course of study.

The bit in bold is not correct, there isn't a larger research component, other than the name they are exactly the same as an English/Welsh/Northern Irish BA. The other bit is true, you do indeed take up to three different subjects in your first two years in Scotland, that's a perfectly good reason for studying north of the border - but don't think of it as a master's degree, because it isn't. :smile:
Bbumping up this old thread should it prove to be useful.
(edited 1 year ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending