The Student Room Group

I Need Advice

Right, so I cocked up my exams and didn't do as well as I needed to have done to get into my firm, I needed an AAB-ABB and I only got a BBD. The D was in Physics and I knew I had messed up it as soon as I left the exam room.

My firm was to study Biomed at Sheffield (Uni of) and my Insurance was Biomed again at Northumbria. I've met all the conditions for Northumbria so I guess I have a spot there though they're being a little slow.

I'm just arguing with myself whether I should resit and fix my grades and then get into a higher ranked Uni. I worry that by getting a degree from a lower ranked or non RG uni, I hinder my chances in finding a good job with all the prospects you want (i.e good progression etc).

At the same time I don't really want to resit and my parents don't want me to either, as I'm being left behind and I do want to move forwards in life instead of hanging around for another year but I do want to secure the best possible future. I'm sure that if I did resit though, I could definitely fix these results. The chances of grades not changing also exist too.

Regarding Northumbria, whilst I do know its a good enough Uni, its just not the best I can get, as well as that, I hadn't even visited on any open days because I was so set on Sheffield so I'm not even certain if Northumbria will be good for my course. Also getting a Biomed degree from Northumbria, I'm not sure if its strong enough to land me that job.

Any advice would be helpful and I just need someone to clear my mind right now.

Thanks
Original post by Cherub123
Right, so I cocked up my exams and didn't do as well as I needed to have done to get into my firm, I needed an AAB-ABB and I only got a BBD. The D was in Physics and I knew I had messed up it as soon as I left the exam room.

My firm was to study Biomed at Sheffield (Uni of) and my Insurance was Biomed again at Northumbria. I've met all the conditions for Northumbria so I guess I have a spot there though they're being a little slow.

I'm just arguing with myself whether I should resit and fix my grades and then get into a higher ranked Uni. I worry that by getting a degree from a lower ranked or non RG uni, I hinder my chances in finding a good job with all the prospects you want (i.e good progression etc).

At the same time I don't really want to resit and my parents don't want me to either, as I'm being left behind and I do want to move forwards in life instead of hanging around for another year but I do want to secure the best possible future. I'm sure that if I did resit though, I could definitely fix these results. The chances of grades not changing also exist too.

Regarding Northumbria, whilst I do know its a good enough Uni, its just not the best I can get, as well as that, I hadn't even visited on any open days because I was so set on Sheffield so I'm not even certain if Northumbria will be good for my course. Also getting a Biomed degree from Northumbria, I'm not sure if its strong enough to land me that job.

Any advice would be helpful and I just need someone to clear my mind right now.

Thanks

I d be inclined to say you shouldn't go to a university that you ve never visited. That said ranking isn't everything and in most fields they won't decide to give you a job purely down to which uni you went to, there's no guarantee that resit ting would get you to a "better" university as some don't like resit applicants
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I d be inclined to say you shouldn't go to a university that you ve never visited. That said ranking isn't everything and in most fields they won't decide to give you a job purely down to which uni you went to, there's no guarantee that resit ting would get you to a "better" university as some don't like resit applicants

So do I just ignore the ranks and settle for this then? What would you do?
Original post by Cherub123
So do I just ignore the ranks and settle for this then? What would you do?

I would get a cheap ticket to visit the place and if I liked it I would go. I think experience matters more with biomed rather than ranking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending