The Student Room Group

AS Results - unexpectedly very, very bad for autistic spectrum son

Hi there, I've not posted here before, so forgive me if I'm not in the right place.

My son is high functioning autistic spectrum with severe dyslexia. He did well in his GCSEs getting A*s, As and Bs. His progress through year 12 was good and he was getting steady Cs & Bs in his subjects. He revised and he sat the exams (with a scribe to write for him) and thought they had gone pretty well.

He got a D and two Es. He has never in his life done so badly in any exam.

He was hoping to read chemistry at Imperial / Kings / Queen Mary etc. which appears to be out of the question now.

I will be having a meeting with his school and his marked exam scripts are being recalled, but does anyone have any thoughts on what to do now or what could possibly have gone wrong.
(edited 6 years ago)
Having a scribe is a MASSIVE disadvantage for maths and science. It's really awkward because on the one hand you can't have teachers who know what they are doing because they might cheat but on the other hand if you have people who have no ****ing clue what a skeletal formula is or how to precisely draw a reaction mechanism, you're gonna do badly.
Thank you black1blade.

He didn't do maths. He did music, chemistry and biology. He had a scribe for his GCSE's and those went fine, including all the sciences, maths & statistics.

He checked his AS answers and felt comfortable that the scribe had correctly expressed what he wanted.
Reply 3
Original post by NigellaXpress
Thank you black1blade.

He didn't do maths. He did music, chemistry and biology. He had a scribe for his GCSE's and those went fine, including all the sciences, maths & statistics.

He checked his AS answers and felt comfortable that the scribe had correctly expressed what he wanted.

You can get a remark if you're unhappy with your son's result. If you can, try to get a copy of your son's paper back.
Thank you Quizlet, copies of all of his exam scripts have been requested back by the school, who are as surprised as we are.
With the changes to A Levels, AS results don't count towards the final A Level grade. I know that it's upsetting to go from doing really well at GCSE to not so well at A Level. Getting the scripts back to look at and possible remarks sound like a good idea. Does your son's school provide extra support for his subjects, like booster sessions after school?
Thank you horsewithnoname, I understand that the AS results don't count to the final grade, but am I right in thinking that he will still have to put his AS results on his UCAS application? If yes, no decent uni is going to take him with those results?

Yes, he gets a tonne of extra support and I see half-termly progress reports. Hence, the complete surprise at such awful grades.
(edited 6 years ago)
Thank you horsewithnoname, I understand that the AS results don't count to the final grade, but am I right in thinking that he will still have to put his AS results on his UCAS application? If yes, no decent uni is going to take him with those results?

Yes, he gets a tonne of extra support and I see half-termly progress reports. Hence, the complete surprise at such awful grades.

They do have to be put on his UCAS application. I think universities give offers based on predicted grades as well as grades that you already have. It depends on how well he does next year. I did biology and chemistry A Levels this year, so I know how tricky they are. If he doesn't the grades next year, he can take a year out and re-apply. Universities might take into account his autism and dyslexia when they look at his application
Thank you horsewithnoname.
Thank you black1blade.

GCSE exams are a lot less time pressured though and you're a lot more likely to pick up marks even if you make a mistake. In a-level chemistry each mark will likely require for you to do a least 2 things right so even the slightest inaccuracies will cause grade to plummet.

Quick Reply

Latest