The Student Room Group
Unregistered
is AS/A2 physics hard
is is quite mathematical-i think i shud be able to hack it cos i got 2 A*s in science and a b in maths, but would like an experienced opinion!!
cheers
RP

First of all,

Maths: Here's a result we're going to get to, here's the proof that its correct, here's some practise of how to use it.

Physics: Here's a formula, here are some questions that might come up in the exam.

Two different teaching approaches, and the latter being the one that I disliked, leading me to drop it as an AS.

If however you stick with it, despite my initial thoughts:

AS: Quite straightforward in terms of factual recall, all the tools available to get a decent grade.

A2: Content level increases massively, and in the experience of my former collegues, pretty damn tricky.
Reply 2
do u think that my b is alright to do AS/A2 maths?
Unregistered
do u think that my b is alright to do AS/A2 maths?

Yes, it should be fine. Just don't feel pressured by those who got A* and A's who may take some things in a little faster, provided you take it in and do the exercises you'll be fine.
Reply 4
Physics does get quite mathematical in A2, so you do need a good mathematical background (they prefer it at my school if you take Maths to AS level if you do physics). It is all maths that you can learn and remember, but its much easier if you do have AS Maths because you have already had the practise at the maths that is required.

For example, all members of my physics class at A2 had done AS Maths at least, apart from 2 people, both of whom had got A's at GCSE maths. They both failed physics this year, and both admitted they found the maths hard. However they were, to be honest, quite lazy and both took an option module that was not taught (and therefore had to teach themselves) which resulted in them not doing enough work for it. If you are prepared to work at the maths, and put some extra time in, you shouldn't find it too much of a problem.
Reply 5
Unregistered
is AS/A2 physics hard
is is quite mathematical-i think i shud be able to hack it cos i got 2 A*s in science and a b in maths, but would like an experienced opinion!!
cheers
RP

My opinion is that the hardest of all the physics mosules is the mechanics module that we did at the start of year 12. It is a massive step up from GCSE. I believe that A2 is easier (apart from the synoptic) and this was reflected in my grades, C at AS, B after A2.

I would definetly take maths if you got a B. I didn't take it because I found it hugely brong at GCSE but regreted later on. All the people who did maths aswell said that it made physics quite a bit easier.
Reply 6
Unregistered
My opinion is that the hardest of all the physics mosules is the mechanics module that we did at the start of year 12. It is a massive step up from GCSE. I believe that A2 is easier (apart from the synoptic) and this was reflected in my grades, C at AS, B after A2.

I would definetly take maths if you got a B. I didn't take it because I found it hugely brong at GCSE but regreted later on. All the people who did maths aswell said that it made physics quite a bit easier.

It did make Physics easier. I actually found the paper at the beginning of A2 the hardest (I did OCR so that was Forces, Fields and Energy). I actually did really well in my synoptic paper, found it quite easy it was my best A2 module!!

Latest

Trending

Trending