The Student Room Group
Original post by Anonymous
Hey i did a Foundation year and have now failed my first year, meaning I will be doing 5 years in total. Is it true that student finance will not cover my final year now?

Its the resit year they will not cover.

Student finance give you degree length +1 gift year.

You used the gift year with the foundation year, so when you started you had funding for the degree length.

As you failed you now require extra funding. SFE pay from your final year counting forwards i.e the year they wont pay will be your next year of study/ resit.

The only way you can get past this is by putting in a compelling personal reasons claim if you were ill or had something like a bereavement.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Its the resit year they will not cover.

Student finance give you degree length +1 gift year.

You used the gift year with the foundation year, so when you started you had funding for the degree length.

As you failed you now require extra funding. SFE pay from your final year counting forwards i.e the year they wont pay will be your next year of study/ resit.

The only way you can get past this is by putting in a compelling personal reasons claim if you were ill or had something like a bereavement.

I don't believe this is correct. If the foundation year was integrated into the degree, it would be a four year degree. Gift year would not have been used yet.

(New course length + 1) minus previous years study

(3 + 1) - 1 = 3

This would mean that the resit year is covered.

It's for Student Finance to confirm, but I believe this is the case providing the foundation year was integrated into the course.
Original post by IWMTom
I don't believe this is correct. If the foundation year was integrated into the degree, it would be a four year degree. Gift year would not have been used yet.

(3 + 1) - 1 = 3

It's for Student Finance to confirm, but I believe this is the case providing the foundation year was integrated into the course.

Sorry thats true. Its for the OP to confirm the status of the foundation year whether it was standalone or not.
Original post by IWMTom

(3 + 1) - 1 = 3

Yeah mines an integrated foundation year on a four year course. What's my retake results are out I'll ring them, even though I know I've failed. Cheers for the help!
Reply 5
Original post by ErniePicks
Yeah mines an integrated foundation year on a four year course. What's my retake results are out I'll ring them, even though I know I've failed. Cheers for the help!

You should be able to get finance for your resit year then! :smile:
Hi,I want do pharmacy with a foundation year, does that mean the student finance won’t be able to cover the five years?
Original post by janee12345
Hi,I want do pharmacy with a foundation year, does that mean the student finance won’t be able to cover the five years?

you are probably best starting your own thread but basically they will cover the length of the course - my daughter is doing a 6 year course and they are covering that.
Reply 8
What did Sfe say for your retake in foundation year?

Original post by ErniePicks

Latest