The Student Room Group

Changing university/course - finance query

Hello TSR,

I'm currently in my first year of university and I want to switch universities!

One of the courses I have looked into switching to is a 5-year course.

As I have already used a year of student finance at my current university, would I be able to get student finance throughout the whole 5 years?

Two of those years would be abroad, if it matters. I'd also be applying for the maintenance loan with DSA for those 5 years.

Thanks in advance!
Hi there. Can you confirm the full name of the new course and university? Will the new course be full time or part time? When does the new course start? And you only have 1 year of previous study? Thanks, Leah.
Reply 2
Original post by Leah SLC
Hi there. Can you confirm the full name of the new course and university? Will the new course be full time or part time? When does the new course start? And you only have 1 year of previous study? Thanks, Leah.
The course Im hopeful for is Chinese and Japanese studies at The University of Leeds, although I do have a few 4 year backups.

It will be full time, starting Sept 2024 (I'm aware I'm behind schedule).

By the time I would be looking to start this new course, I will only have one year previous study.
Thanks. The applications are not out yet for 24/25. They come out around March, but we don't have an exact date yet.

Student Finance uses this calculation to work out how much funding you have left:

New course length + Additional Year Previous study years

For example, your new course is 4 years long, your calculation would be:

4 + 1 1 = 4 years entitlement

We do not take any part time previous study into account for full time course, and vice versa.

So, you would be fully funded, but have used the additional year.

Thanks, Leah.
Reply 4
Original post by Leah SLC
Thanks. The applications are not out yet for 24/25. They come out around March, but we don't have an exact date yet.

Student Finance uses this calculation to work out how much funding you have left:

New course length + Additional Year Previous study years

For example, your new course is 4 years long, your calculation would be:

4 + 1 1 = 4 years entitlement

We do not take any part time previous study into account for full time course, and vice versa.

So, you would be fully funded, but have used the additional year.

Thanks, Leah.
So just to be totally sure, if I did the 5 year course, I'd get the full 5 years, but not the extra year usually given for resits?
Yes, that's right.
Reply 6
Okay, thanks for the help!
You're welcome 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending