The Student Room Group

Road to Veterinary Medicine - AS Level

Scroll to see replies

Tuesday 26th September 2017

P1 - I had chemistry today and we did about ionisation energies which were a bit confusing as first but I then ended up being the first person to answer this hard section in the booklet we have (I am no means the best at chemistry in my class but I try) so the teacher made me help all the other students that needed help xD.
P2 - I had a directed study that I wanted to get a some biology notes in but just kind of procrastinated :colondollar:
P3 - I had a free period and wanted to get more biology notes done but I went into town for a bit with a couple of friends and didn't really get anything done, not really surprising tbh.
P4 and P5 - I had double further maths in the afternoon and we were doing about proof by induction but I was getting really confused and by the end my brain hurt but I gradually got the hang of it, well sort of anyway.

After school I did a bit of biology but I've been sorting my hermit crabs out so I haven't really got much work done today either. That's it for now.
Wednesday 27th September 2017

P1 - I had biology first lesson and we were studying about enzymes and how they can be inhibited etc and we also got our homework back, I got 27/28.
P2 - I had chemistry where we were just finishing off about ionisation energies and we started do some questions on the whole topic of atomic structure as we have a test next Wednesday on atomic structure. We also went through the homework we handed in on Tuesday and only about 4 of us competed it so the teacher was pretty annoyed about that.
P3 - I had a free period and wanted to get my maths homework completed but I found it pretty difficult and in the end just kind of gave up with it :frown: .
P4 - I had maths this lesson but I had photos taken for the sixth form prospectus so I missed most of the lesson but we were doing about circles on graphs.
P5 - I had a free period so walked home so i could leave for my dentist appointment on time.

After school I did a bit of biology but I didn't really got much work done today. That's it for now.
(edited 6 years ago)
Thursday 28th September 2017

P1 and P2 - I had double further maths and we went through Inverse matrices and determinant matrics for 3x3 matrices which was fun.
P3 - I had biology and we went through the rest of the information about enzymes and we made enzymes and substrates out of play dough and we also started so practice questions for our test tomorrow .
P4 - I had a free lesson so I printed out a ton of chem GCSE papers I have to complete for my teacher and I printed out all the the specifications for my subjects.
P5 - I had maths this period where we were doing disproof by deduction which was okay but it's kind of boring but at least it's an okay topic.

I stayed at school till 5 to do some more biology notes and when I got home I did even more biology as I have my test tomorrow which I'm not looking forward to.
I'm a bit behind with my updates so I have quite a few to do in this post.

Friday 29th September 2017

P1 - I had a directed study first lesson so I decided to complete 4 past GCSE papers for chemistry as I had them to do for homework as my chemistry teacher wanted us complete 12 for Monday the 2nd of October.
P2 - I had a directed study second lesson as well so I decided to do some biology revision for my first proper AS test on Biological Molecules.
P3 - I had mathematics this lesson and we were just doing more about circles on graphs which I just couldn't be bothered with at all.
P4 - I had biology this period and we revised for the first 25 minutes and then we did the test for 35 minutes. I found the test pretty difficult but it was enjoyable (to a certain extent) as I love biology and I answered all the questions.
P5 - I had chemistry this lesson and I found out my result for my GCSE chem paper which was 43/60 so pretty bad but tbh I should have revised way more than I did :colondollar:. We then just went over doing questions using the equation pV=nRT. I found this lesson pretty boring as it was repetitive but I suppose we had to go over it anyway.

When I got home I didn't do anything as I had my NCS graduation to enjoy so I didn't really have any time to do any work.

Saturday 30th September 2017

I went milking for 7 hours (in two 3.5 hour segments) and didn't get any work done but I was pretty knackered due to the night before (as I was up late).

Sunday 1st October 2017

Once again I was helping at my local Blue Cross rehoming centre for 5 hours and got back and procrastinated for a bit. I:colondollar: then got on with some biology notes to do with factors affecting enzymes etc.

Monday 2nd October 2017

P1 - I had a directed study first lesson so I decided to complete the last 6 chemistry past GCSE papers for my chemistry teacher as he wanted all 12 done for the lesson today.
P2 - I had chemistry second lesson and we went over the rest of the questions for pV=nRT and that was pretty much it.
P3 - I had mathematics this lesson lesson and we went over proof by exhaustion which is so much easier than disproof by counter example and deduction that we have already been taught and also so much easier than Proof by induction in further maths.
P4 - I had biology this period and we got our test results back so we went over our tests and corrected any answers and then did a reflection task to see how we could improve for our next test. I got an A in this test 28/30 (boundary for an A) so I am pretty pleased with my result as I thought the AS test was pretty hard.
P5 - I had a free period last lesson and decided to do some more chemistry notes on Ionisation energies.

I got home and did some more notes on ionisation energies and I had some practice questions to complete for the next day. I also did some multiple choice questions for the next day as well.

Tuesday 3rd October 2017

I got my RE remark back today and didn't go up to an A* so :frown:
P1 - I had chemistry where we went over the homework (the practice questions and multiple choice questions) and we did a few more questions in class as well to prepare us for our test on Wednesday.
P2 - I had a directed study second lesson and I didn't really do much (no surprise there but I did print some Atomic structure chemistry questions to go over) but oh well, it was chill time :redface:.
P3 - I had a free period third where I went over some further maths questions on proof by induction as I got stuck on them but couldn't do them so went to see my teacher at lunch for help with them.
P4 and P5 - I had further maths for a double lesson where we were doing about complex numbers and imaginary numbers. We went over the basics and progressed to harder questions where my head started to hurt a bit as I was getting slightly confused :ahhhhh:.

I then finished my chemistry notes on ionisation energies and did the test yourself for that section meaning that I had completed my Atomic Structure notes so I decided to do some questions from the selection I had printed off earlier that day. I also completed some biology questions as well.

I have decided that I need to be more productive in my frees and directed studies and I also need to use my time more wisely after school. I have decided that I am going to make myself do between 30-60 minutes a night (at least) of maths and the same for further maths so I can get better at these two. I am also going to make myself read a book for about 30 minutes when I get up so that I'm not on my phone all the time :colondollar:. Anyway sorry for the long wall of text, I just needed to update you guys on a lot of things. (I will do my Wednesday update tonight.)
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm going to update what I did today when I do tomorrow's update as I'm just so frustrated, knackered and fed up. My chemistry test went so bad today which has then led onto a series of events with maths and further maths that I just can't handle. I have maths and further maths homework for tomorrow and I feel so useless as I can't do it and I have come to the realisation that I hate maths and I have no idea if it's just this week that I'm feeling like this or if I've always felt like this but have just been suppressing it all through GCSEs. The only subjects I actually enjoy are biology and chemistry and I hate all other subjects that I've taken through GCSE but I'm starting to think I should have picked English literature and art instead of maths and further maths as I got A*s in both of those so I must be good at them. I have also realised that my best science result was bio, then chem, and then physics which I think is due to little maths in bio, more in chem and a lot in physics so maybe I just can't do maths at all?!?! I just don't know what to do with my subject choices anymore 😭.
Original post by OrangeArcher
I'm going to update what I did today when I do tomorrow's update as I'm just so frustrated, knackered and fed up. My chemistry test went so bad today which has then led onto a series of events with maths and further maths that I just can't handle. I have maths and further maths homework for tomorrow and I feel so useless as I can't do it and I have come to the realisation that I hate maths and I have no idea if it's just this week that I'm feeling like this or if I've always felt like this but have just been suppressing it all through GCSEs. The only subjects I actually enjoy are biology and chemistry and I hate all other subjects that I've taken through GCSE but I'm starting to think I should have picked English literature and art instead of maths and further maths as I got A*s in both of those so I must be good at them. I have also realised that my best science result was bio, then chem, and then physics which I think is due to little maths in bio, more in chem and a lot in physics so maybe I just can't do maths at all?!?! I just don't know what to do with my subject choices anymore 😭.

Sorry to hear you feel like this! Don't worry about the update I do it all the time I'm sure your chemistry test wasn't that bad, but even if it was, one test this early on in the course is not important apart from the fact you should learn from it so you can improve for next time. I think most people go through a stage of thinking they picked the wrong subjects (I know I have and sort of still am...). I just wanted to let you know that almost everyone is struggling with further maths at this stage. I walked through GCSE with no extreme effort and I find some of it extremely confusing (sorry I know that's not necessarily helpful, but it just goes to show how difficult it is). You can get through it :smile:
I would suspect that the hatred of maths is temporary, but if it isn't then I would suggest thinking about what made you enjoy maths in the first place. No person would choose maths and further maths if they really hated it before they started, so there must have been something that interested you about it. Try to find what that was and use it to enthuse you about maths again! You are obviously capable of maths, however if you feel it would make you happier then perhaps dropping further maths for one of those subjects could be a good option. I wouldn't advise dropping maths this early as I think you'd regret it later (but obviously it's 100% your decision if you went down this route).
tbh the exact ums of your sciences I would say are more down to grade boundaries than any particular maths (or lack of) in the subject. You got A* in them all so you clearly are very capable within them, and therefore must understand all the topics to at least a great extent, if not all. If you take my results (sorry more examples from my life) then by ums I scored greatest in bio, then physics then chemistry. But by raw marks my physics were weakest by miles, which was due to grade boundaries reflecting how the paper was found nationally.
To get an A* in all the sciences, and a 7 in maths clearly shows you are extremely capable of maths. While it's difficult, I think this point in term is the point many feel like it's impossible to continue with their subjects, but changing now would probably be even more difficult with catching up etc.
You are capable. You can do it!
Original post by Lemur14
Sorry to hear you feel like this! Don't worry about the update I do it all the time I'm sure your chemistry test wasn't that bad, but even if it was, one test this early on in the course is not important apart from the fact you should learn from it so you can improve for next time. I think most people go through a stage of thinking they picked the wrong subjects (I know I have and sort of still am...). I just wanted to let you know that almost everyone is struggling with further maths at this stage. I walked through GCSE with no extreme effort and I find some of it extremely confusing (sorry I know that's not necessarily helpful, but it just goes to show how difficult it is). You can get through it :smile:
I would suspect that the hatred of maths is temporary, but if it isn't then I would suggest thinking about what made you enjoy maths in the first place. No person would choose maths and further maths if they really hated it before they started, so there must have been something that interested you about it. Try to find what that was and use it to enthuse you about maths again! You are obviously capable of maths, however if you feel it would make you happier then perhaps dropping further maths for one of those subjects could be a good option. I wouldn't advise dropping maths this early as I think you'd regret it later (but obviously it's 100% your decision if you went down this route).
tbh the exact ums of your sciences I would say are more down to grade boundaries than any particular maths (or lack of) in the subject. You got A* in them all so you clearly are very capable within them, and therefore must understand all the topics to at least a great extent, if not all. If you take my results (sorry more examples from my life) then by ums I scored greatest in bio, then physics then chemistry. But by raw marks my physics were weakest by miles, which was due to grade boundaries reflecting how the paper was found nationally.
To get an A* in all the sciences, and a 7 in maths clearly shows you are extremely capable of maths. While it's difficult, I think this point in term is the point many feel like it's impossible to continue with their subjects, but changing now would probably be even more difficult with catching up etc.
You are capable. You can do it!

Thanks, I had a pretty good day yesterday for further maths and maths so I think it must have just been me feeling a bit depressed about my choices that day and that it was a one off. We ended up doing topics that I understood yesterday as well which I think helped me get back to good terms with maths and further maths but I'm going to keep monitoring how I feel about maths etc.
Wednesday 4th October 2017

P1 - I had biology this lesson and we were doing a practical where we tested 6 different white substances to see whether they contained reducing sugars, non-reducing sugars, proteins, fats or starch and it was a good start to that day as it was a pretty relaxed practical and was good preparation for our first required practical on Friday.
P2 - I had chemistry this lesson and we had our first AS chemistry test which was pretty difficult and I left a few marks blank so I don't think I will get an A but I will be happy with a pass as I found it extremely difficult (to say the least.)
P3 - I had a free period this lesson and had my first meeting for my EPQ with my specific teacher and group and then I went on TSR and updated my GYG xD.
P4- I had maths this lesson and we were going over more circle stuff and things to do with tangents etc. but I need to have a look back over it as I didn't really understand it at the time of doing it so I'm not sure if I'm going to have to ask my teacher for help or not.
P5 - I had another free so I decided to just go home and chill for a bit as I was stressed from the day but yeah.

I did some maths and further maths work when I got home but I wasn't very productive as I pretty much had a breakdown from the maths and further maths work.

Thursday 5th October 2017

P1 and P2 - I had double further maths and we went through rotations, reflections, shears, so basically matrix transformations :biggrin:. I enjoyed this lesson as I understood the work and how to do it so I think I'm back to good terms with further maths but we'll see next time I have it.
P3 - I had biology and we did a more complex practical in preparation for our required practical on Friday. The practical took a long time to do but it was to do with how the pH of a solution (containing and enzyme, trypsin I think) can affect the rate of how fast it can dissolve protein (gelatin) off a black film. We had control test tubes as well to compare our results with, I enjoyed this lesson.
P4- I had a free lesson and went over some of my maths work but I pretty much just chilled during this lesson.
P5 - I had maths this period where we began binomial theorem and Pascal's triangle which I found to be pretty easy and fun but others in my class were getting a bit confused with the work which is giving me a bit of hope that I'm not hugely terrible at maths.

After school I went to a guinea pig and rabbit rescue to organise some work experience and then I went to an equestrian centre to organise some work experience as well. I didn't get home till 7:15 so I decided as I only had one piece of homework to do that I could just chill and relax so that's what I did all night :biggrin:.
Thanks, I had a pretty good day yesterday for further maths and maths so I think it must have just been me feeling a bit depressed about my choices that day and that it was a one off. We ended up doing topics that I understood yesterday as well which I think helped me get back to good terms with maths and further maths but I'm going to keep monitoring how I feel about maths etc.

Glad to hear you had a good day :smile: :woo: Hopefully it was a one off!
It's good that you're understanding complex topics as that clearly demonstrates you are capable of the maths :smile:
Good idea to keep monitoring it though, mental health can be very delicate so monitoring it should help to keep it in the balance :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello, ever since I was a little boy I have always wanted to become a veterinarian so I have been working hard to hopefully achieve my dream. I have just finished my GCSEs and I am pretty pleased (to say the least) with my results.
GCSEs
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Art - A*
English Literature - 8
RE - A (1 ums away from A* so may get a remark) - Got a remark and stayed an A
Maths - 7
English Language - 7
Physics - A
ICT - A
Geography - A
Further Maths - B
French - C

4A*s, 6As, 1B and 1C

For A-levels I have decided to pick 4 and possibly drop one within the first year or first few months.

AS levels
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Further Maths

So far I have been doing quite a bit of work experience which I'm quite happy with as well.

Work Experience
2.5 years at a mixed vet practice (11-12 weeks roughly)
1 week at a dairy farm
1 week at a mixed vet practice
just started helping at Blue Cross
Booked 1 week placement at another vet practice

I plan on booking more placements to hopefully get about 30 weeks experience.

I've been looking at universities and I meet the minimum GCSE requirements for them all but I think I would like to apply to:
Surrey
Glasgow
Nottingham
Liverpool

This is my journey so far :biggrin:

The amount of we you’ve done is great but be careful with the dates, just applied and couldn’t include a lot of mine as it was completed too early and can only put 5 days max for each on Liverpool which is a shame. Liverpool also like to see a lot of farm and kennel work, good luck!!
Original post by emilywhitee13
The amount of we you’ve done is great but be careful with the dates, just applied and couldn’t include a lot of mine as it was completed too early and can only put 5 days max for each on Liverpool which is a shame. Liverpool also like to see a lot of farm and kennel work, good luck!!

Thank you for replying, I had a think at the weekend when I was at Surrey university about Liverpool and I don't think I'm going to apply as I read the 2018 vet med thread and saw the 5 days for each placement and thought that if I have done so much it's actually pointless for me to apply there.
I've been on a hiatus with this GYG but anyway I've just been doing notes and homework mainly, which isn't very interesting, but I'm on doing some biology at the minute as my sleep pattern is messed up and I slept from 8pm to 12am so yeah :biggrin:. I've had a few tests that I've done pretty bad in (mainly):
Above Minimum Target Grade
Minimum Target Grade
Below Minimum Target Grade

Biology - Minimum Target (B)
Biological Molecules (28/35 - 80%) A - 29/09/2017
More Biological Molecules (29/36 - 81%) A - 01/11/2017

Chemistry - Minimum Target (B)
Atomic Structure (30/54 - 56%) E - 04/10/2017
Amount of Substance (12/42 - 29%) U - 13/10/2017

Mathematics - Minimum Target (B)
Indices & Surds (12/40 - 30% - I think it was out of 40 anyway) U - 14/09/2017
Straight Line Graphs & Circles (17/61 - 28%) U - 18/10/2017

Further Mathematics - Minimum Target (B)
Nothing yet
Not much happening in my life but I have a chem test on Wednesday (bonding) that I'm hoping I do okay in. I have been working hard and last Saturday was up at midnight at the dairy farm I help at to aid in my first calving (it was a breach birth).
Hi, hope everything’s going good so far...
I also want to be a vet but the amount of work experience you have at a vets makes me want to cry😂 I’m guessing you have veterinary connections? It’s pretty hard to get work experience in a vets near where I live.
How are you finding your A levels? I could never do maths but you seem to be holding out okay...
😊
Original post by colivia12
Hi, hope everything’s going good so far...
I also want to be a vet but the amount of work experience you have at a vets makes me want to cry😂 I’m guessing you have veterinary connections? It’s pretty hard to get work experience in a vets near where I live.
How are you finding your A levels? I could never do maths but you seem to be holding out okay...
😊

Life's going pretty good at the minute although I've got a test in chemistry today and another in biology on Friday so I may not be saying the same at the end of the week 😂. I don't actually have any connections within veterinary but I've being pretty persistent with some practices about work experience. I'm finding A-levels okay but maths and chem are a bit of a whirlwind sometimes as I can't seem to do well in the class tests 😌.
Life's going pretty good at the minute although I've got a test in chemistry today and another in biology on Friday so I may not be saying the same at the end of the week 😂. I don't actually have any connections within veterinary but I've being pretty persistent with some practices about work experience. I'm finding A-levels okay but maths and chem are a bit of a whirlwind sometimes as I can't seem to do well in the class tests 😌.

Glad to hear it😊 that’s some impressive determination!😂 I’m finding that with chem too, even if I do well in lessons I still do badly in tests, I have one tomorrow so I’m hoping that will go better
Glad to hear it😊 that’s some impressive determination!😂 I’m finding that with chem too, even if I do well in lessons I still do badly in tests, I have one tomorrow so I’m hoping that will go better

Good luck in your test tomorrow :smile: I'm just curious but how did you do in your GCSEs?
Good luck in your test tomorrow :smile: I'm just curious but how did you do in your GCSEs?

Thank you😊 I was in hospital for a lot of year 10 so I didn’t do as well as I was originally predicted or as high as I was hoping for but I’m still proud, I got 4As, 3Bs and 2Cs, you?
Thank you😊 I was in hospital for a lot of year 10 so I didn’t do as well as I was originally predicted or as high as I was hoping for but I’m still proud, I got 4As, 3Bs and 2Cs, you?

Well done on your GCSE results as being in hospital during these critical years can really ruin someone's future but it looks like you tried hard and got the grades you needed. I got 4A*s, 6As, 1B and 1C but had never got grades like that in mocks so I don't know how I did it in my real exams.
Well done on your GCSE results as being in hospital during these critical years can really ruin someone's future but it looks like you tried hard and got the grades you needed. I got 4A*s, 6As, 1B and 1C but had never got grades like that in mocks so I don't know how I did it in my real exams.

Yeah it was tough, congrats on your results! I did better in some subjects and worse in others at mocks so I’m not really sure what happened but it’s over now, thank god😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending