The Student Room Group

Sixth Form Organisation

Good Afternoon,

I go back to sixth-form soon and I am going to be going stationary shopping this weekend and I would like to know what I need to buy and I have no idea where to start at the moment.

What is the best way to organise myself? Do I have separate folders for each subject or one for all or will there be too much stuff to fit in one binder?

Also, do you recommend I take notes manually or on a computer as I am not sure if typed notes are better or worse.

I am studying sciences and maths.

Thank you so much in advance!
(edited 3 years ago)
1 ring binder, plastic wallets for each subject, homework and paper. write on paper in class then end of week file it away in seperate lever arch files at home and write notes as i go along from them. I suggest writing manually as you'll actually be conciously thinking whilst writing it down, but if you have patience to do both then why not, as long as it helps. As for stationary basically everything you used for GCSE's but may want to upgrade your calculator if it isn't a proper mathsy one already
I have a lever arch file for each subject for Biology and Business, and one for each paper in Psychology (so 3 for the one subject). You'll need page dividers,coloured pens, basic stationery, a planner if not provided by your sixth form and lined papered pads.

What subjects are you doing? Some things are subject specific.

Posted from TSR Mobile
5 is a lot - I would. You will need a calculator, fx-991ES Plus by Casio was recommended by my sixth form when I started maths (dropped now). Maths uses a lot of paper so I recommend having a refill pad seperate for maths. The Wilkos ones are good and only £2.25

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lined paper.

I don't think you /need/ a laptop especially if the college has good computers or rental laptops. I'd only consider taking a laptop if I knew there was wifi that worked efficiently, teachers would allow them in lessons and if I were to type notes. It's also handy if you use online resources such as Kerboodle or YouTube videos.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It could be good to do notes twice, like revision. Only buy a laptop if it's necessary - they're expensive!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I use a laptop due to health issues and it becomes a nightmare if the teacher issues resources aswell. I have half a table for a laptop, textbook and about 5 sheets of paper i need to read and make notes on at the same time. In one of my subjects I went to making notes in my textbook because it was so in depth you only needed a few more pieces of information. I do hand write for maths but then it's not an essay subject so not an issue in the same way. If I was able to hand write for that length of time I would because it saves time and space... and you dont have to find a plug socket.
We have one useable plug socket in the library so very rare that I get to plug in my laptop.

Quick Reply

Latest