The Student Room Group

Getting to Essex from West London using buses only?

Anyone know if this is possible?

Or if there is any way to get there from West London without having to use the GWR?
thats long bruv book a train
Reply 2
Original post by the one 123
thats long bruv book a train

It would be expensive if I pay for 2 trains + a GWR everyday
Is it for school? Buses would take way too long.
Reply 4
My issue is basically that I want to go to Essex uni but would prefer not living out, so I'm trying to find any way to make my journey easier.
Reply 5
Original post by Cherry-Cola
Is it for school? Buses would take way too long.

University...:redface:
It depends where in Essex, it's a big county.

It would take me roughly 1 hour to get to London by train, if I took a bus I would have to get 5 different buses.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by squirrology
It depends where in Essex, it's a big county.

It takes me roughly 1 hour to get to London by train, if I took a bus I would have to get 5 different buses.

University of Essex, Colchester.

I don't mind taking trains but just don't want to have to get the GWR which is what Google directions is telling me.
Original post by Anonymous
University...:redface:

You could get a third off train ticket discount if you are going to Uni of Essex.
http://www.c2c-online.co.uk/tickets-and-fares/c2c-smartcard/smart-student/
Original post by Cherry-Cola
You could get a third off train ticket discount if you are going to Uni of Essex.
http://www.c2c-online.co.uk/tickets-and-fares/c2c-smartcard/smart-student/

To get to Colchester, anon has to use greater anglia as that's the only train service that goes through that part of Essex, C2C is only for South Essex.
Reply 10
look at the national express, I live in south london and will be moving to colchester to attend colchester institute and you can use coaches
You'd actually lose the will to live if you tried this.
Remember even if using mainline whilst in London you can use an oyster card also try and get a rail card if using the mainline outside of London. Remember also to apply for an 18+ Student Oyster.

Or if there is any way to get there from West London without having to use the GWR?

It possible but you're looking at many many hours.

I could give you a longer answer but i need to know where on the GWR network you are because, i also use GWR and live in West London too.

So you're looking at a into Paddington, then a circle or H&c to Liverpool Street and a intercity train to Colchester. Don't consider coaches let alone buses for such a long route.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14
I actually live in West London and studied at Essex, but didn't commute. For me to travel back there once term started again took me roughly 2 hours one way, which sounds tiring as it is, so I would highly recommend against your decision.

To explain the journey, I took the District/Circle/Hammersmith and City line to Liverpool Street, then used the Greater Anglia service to travel to Essex. If you have to commute definitely buy a 16-25 railcard, it saved me almost £10 per journey to and from home.
Get to Chiltern or South West trains by bus, then you can avoid GWR.

This is insane. How can you possibly want to go from Essex to London using the bus network??!

Any reason why you wish to avoid GWR? I suggest you learn to drive ASAP if you want to avoid an integral part of the public transport infrastructure...
I lived out at the University of Essex and went home (east London/Zone 6) to see friends/family occasionally. I found that was long af and it was only two trains. West London to Essex, Colchester...I don't even want to imagine. I mean, if you have 9AMs what's the point?

You have to factor in commute times and it's potential affect on energy levels/health, ability to attend class, ability to complete work on time, make friends, do social things, etc. They also have a tap-in service for lectures using your Registration Card, so if you're late and attendance is used for part of your grade that might be problematic etc. You might also get called in to talk to your course tutor/personal tutor/department head if your attendance is too low and you don't have a reason for it to be low (e.g. disability).

Personally, I wouldn't want to live at home and commute that distance. It doesn't seem logical and could put your chance of getting a good degree at risk.

I'd weigh up the pros and cons, and think very hard about this decision!
My issue is basically that I want to go to Essex uni but would prefer not living out, so I'm trying to find any way to make my journey easier.

Crossrail would've made your journey easier but that won't happen until 2019. At the moment it's a mixture of Underground and greater Anglia if you're in Acton, Ealing or uxbridge
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest