The Student Room Group

Why am I getting about half of the student finance I got last year?

I'm about to start my second year at uni, and for some reason I am getting way less student finance. I didn't change any circumstances on my application, so theoretically I should be getting the same amount.
Is this normal? Should I contact SF?
Can you give us the figures? How much did you get last year V this year?
Are you sure your parents haven't had considerable pay rises in the last year?
If they didn't, you should probably ring SFE.
Reply 2
Original post by caitjones0310
I'm about to start my second year at uni, and for some reason I am getting way less student finance. I didn't change any circumstances on my application, so theoretically I should be getting the same amount.
Is this normal? Should I contact SF?

Did your parents submit their household income details for the tax year requested? Is your current entitlement £3,928 by any chance?
Original post by IWMTom
Did your parents submit their household income details for the tax year requested? Is your current entitlement £3,928 by any chance?

Yes, right now my entitlement is 3,928. Last year it was £6847, and nothing has changed in my application.
Reply 4
Yes, right now my entitlement is 3,928. Last year it was £6847, and nothing has changed in my application.

£3,928 is the bare minimum and is known as the unassessed portion of the maintenance loan. It sounds like your household income hasn't been assessed for some reason, either through fault of your own, or an error at SFE.
Original post by IWMTom
£3,928 is the bare minimum and is known as the unassessed portion of the maintenance loan. It sounds like your household income hasn't been assessed for some reason, either through fault of your own, or an error at SFE.

Ok, if it was an error of my own, do you know what it is I would have to do to change it?
Reply 6
Ok, if it was an error of my own, do you know what it is I would have to do to change it?

You'd need to submit your household income like you did last year, and wait for it to he assessed. This can take several weeks to process.
Original post by IWMTom
You'd need to submit your household income like you did last year, and wait for it to he assessed. This can take several weeks to process.

Ok, well I've already sent the online application. I know that last year I got a first letter with the same minimum, then a letter later in September with the assessed amount. Do you think maybe I'm just waiting for that letter again? I just don't want to rely on that being the problem in case I'm wrong and then it's too late to call
Reply 8
Ok, well I've already sent the online application. I know that last year I got a first letter with the same minimum, then a letter later in September with the assessed amount. Do you think maybe I'm just waiting for that letter again? I just don't want to rely on that being the problem in case I'm wrong and then it's too late to call

Have your parents submitted their income details through the online portal like they did last year?

It is possible you've been placed on the minimum whilst you are assessed, just so your finance is actually in place before you begin your course. You could give SFE a quick ring to verify this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending