The Student Room Group

A-level Religious Studies & A-level Philosophy Study Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sonechka
These are the AQA-approved textbooks; I'm not sure if they cover Islam, though.

Thanks for ignoring me but do you happen to know which recommended text books for the AQA philosophy specification that began in 2014 (first exams in the summer of 2015)? Thanks
Original post by beccabokka
Hey guys, I got an A* in RS last year for OCR! ALthough I know the courses are changing, I'd be happy to send over some revision notes for similar topics.

Please could you kindly send me the notes. Thanking you in advance
Reply 42

Welcome to the (new and improved) study group for A-level Philosophy and A-level Religious Studies!

The old study group threads are - well, pretty old, and I thought it was about time to shake things up a bit. Whether you study philosophy or RS, whichever exam board you're using, here you can discuss RS/philosophy revision, notes, exams and any philosophical or theological questions/confusion/random ideas you might have. I may split this thread later, depending on how many people on TSR are doing RS and philosophy, but for now, just get chatting! Here are some icebreakers:

Year 12 or Year 13?
Which exam board?
RS or philosophy?
Why did you decide to study RS/philosophy?
Which topic do you enjoy the most/are you looking forward to most?

Resources

2018 exam dates:
Too early for this :P

Specifications:
AQA Philosophy (old [2015] specification // new AS // new A-level)
AQA Religious Studies (AS // A-level)
Edexcel Religious Studies (AS // A-level)
OCR Religious Studies (AS // A-level)

Thank you @Iggy Azalea for some of the following resource recommendations!

YouTube channels:
MrMcMillanREvis (these videos are based around the old spec, but still useful)
InspiringPhilosophy
Philosophy Tube
Wireless Philosophy

Websites/misc. links:
Outline of philosophy
Outline of religion
Revision World RS (for the old spec, but very comprehensive and still useful)
PushMe Press Philosophy and Ethics (as above)
Religious Studies Online
Stanford Encyclopaedia of Philosophy (I would highly recommend this one!)
Internet Encyclopaedia of Philosophy

tags

Hey!
I'm in year 13, studying theology and ethics with eduqas. our course is a mix of philosophy, ethics and religion and I chose to study it because I'm one of the rare minority that loved RE at gcse. I think out of the three, my most favourite is philosophy:wink:!
Reply 43
Those of you doing philosophy, how hard have you been finding the key terms (inductive vs deductive, synthetic vs analytic etc.)? I was explaining the various distinctions to people yesterday and I was wondering if it would be helpful for you if I made a little guide to all the distinctions which come up, especially the epistemology-related ones.

sounds good and really helpful!
Hi there,
I'm currently in year twelve, and I really want to take philosophy and ethics as a fourth a level. I was wondering if you could tell me whether there would be a lot of content to catch up on, and if I've left it too late, or whether I would be able to catch up.

My third a level is French and I have a French mum which makes things slightly easier.
are people on evil & suffering? (chapter 2, AQA religious studies AS)
Reply 46
It's nice to see people taking up philosophy with vigour.
Original post by phoebecarys
Hey guys!
This seems pretty cool, I think RS is my weakest subject so exchanging ideas and stuff should be really fun! :smile:
I'm in Year 13 doing OCR RS (but we literally changed exam board a few months into year 12 ahaha, my school don't seem overly organised tbh). Honestly I enjoy Development in Christian Thought over Philosophy and Ethics but we've only just started it so who knows? And I'm such a nerd for English so I'm looking forward to meta-ethics quite a lot too!
Any other Year 13's about? How did you find Year 12?

Hi! I'm also going OCR religious studies and also doing Christianity
I was wondering what structure you use for the essays?
Original post by Slmarshall2
Year 13
OCR
RS
Because I like the idea of questioning things
So far I've really enjoyed the theological aspects :smile:

hey! i was wondering what structure your school uses for the essays?
Original post by jhall123456
Hi! I'm also going OCR religious studies and also doing Christianity
I was wondering what structure you use for the essays?

Well my teacher recommended we structure our essays like: introduction, thesis (for or against), antithesis (opposes the thesis), analysis of which is stronger, conclusion - but I didn't get very good grades with that, though others seemed able to. :smile:
I personally do:
Introduction
2 or 3 paragraphs - I like to do a for and against in each paragraph surrounding a specific point
Conclusion

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ that's what works for me, so long as I use the right information etc :P what do you do? I happy to give you an example of an essay plan or something similar if you're interested. :smile:
Well my teacher recommended we structure our essays like: introduction, thesis (for or against), antithesis (opposes the thesis), analysis of which is stronger, conclusion - but I didn't get very good grades with that, though others seemed able to. :smile:
I personally do:
Introduction
2 or 3 paragraphs - I like to do a for and against in each paragraph surrounding a specific point
Conclusion

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ that's what works for me, so long as I use the right information etc :P what do you do? I happy to give you an example of an essay plan or something similar if you're interested. :smile:

My teacher does theory, evaluation, discussion its not the best
An essay plan would be great! Thank you
Original post by jhall123456
My teacher does theory, evaluation, discussion its not the best
An essay plan would be great! Thank you

Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 17.33.26.png
This is how I plan most of my essays, I find from there they tend to write themselves. :P Green is support and yellow is rebuttal. Hope this helps! :smile:

Welcome to the (new and improved) study group for A-level Philosophy and A-level Religious Studies!

The old study group threads are - well, pretty old, and I thought it was about time to shake things up a bit. Whether you study philosophy or RS, whichever exam board you're using, here you can discuss RS/philosophy revision, notes, exams and any philosophical or theological questions/confusion/random ideas you might have. I may split this thread later, depending on how many people on TSR are doing RS and philosophy, but for now, just get chatting! Here are some icebreakers:

Year 12 or Year 13?
Which exam board?
RS or philosophy?
Why did you decide to study RS/philosophy?
Which topic do you enjoy the most/are you looking forward to most?

Resources

2018 exam dates:
Too early for this :P

Specifications:
AQA Philosophy (old [2015] specification // new AS // new A-level)
AQA Religious Studies (AS // A-level)
Edexcel Religious Studies (AS // A-level)
OCR Religious Studies (AS // A-level)

Thank you @Iggy Azalea for some of the following resource recommendations!

YouTube channels:
MrMcMillanREvis (these videos are based around the old spec, but still useful)
InspiringPhilosophy
Philosophy Tube
Wireless Philosophy

Websites/misc. links:
Outline of philosophy
Outline of religion
Revision World RS (for the old spec, but very comprehensive and still useful)
PushMe Press Philosophy and Ethics (as above)
Religious Studies Online
Stanford Encyclopaedia of Philosophy (I would highly recommend this one!)
Internet Encyclopaedia of Philosophy

tags

RS Year 13. Linear course with exams on philosophy, ethics and new testament studies. Edexcel. Dates are 5th, 11th and 18th of June 2018.
Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 17.33.26.png
This is how I plan most of my essays, I find from there they tend to write themselves. :P Green is support and yellow is rebuttal. Hope this helps! :smile:

tips on getting around key terms?? im self teaching from the textbook and i have started evil & suffering
thanks xxx
Original post by seconda1
tips on getting around key terms?? im self teaching from the textbook and i have started evil & suffering
thanks xxx

Honestly flash cards are the main thing I would use, but actually I find I remember key terms better when I make an effort to use them in essays and discussion, sort of end up correcting your own vocabulary until it becomes natural.
Here is the key terms guide I mentioned :smile:

There were a few other words I planned to list, but I think I've covered the main ones. Can anyone think of any fundamental key terms which I've missed out?
Reply 56
Anyone doing WJEC?
Reply 57
Original post by rarajaja0
Hey guys I finished A-levels a couple months ago... If you're doing OCR RE then I guess I could help you since I got an A* overall (98.5 UMS average in A2 and similar in AS). So I could send you my notes, sources or essays since I feel obliged by the old threads help. I think there's a new spec so I'm not sure how that would play out, but never the less ask, anything to help!!!

Thank you so much. You are a lifesaver!!!
for AQA religious studies AS/A LEVEL what chapter are you guys on? ive just finished the first one so on evil & suffering

any notes/revision tips/websites?? thanks
Does anyone have notes for Eduqas' Philosophy and ethics course? Or even any resources at all

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending