The Student Room Group

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ Journey to Sixth Form (and passing all my GCSEs!) 2017-2019 ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)

TSR Banner.png

intro
In spirit of school starting, I thought I would make one of these Grow Your Grades thread for both recreation and motivation. I’m currently starting Year 10 and although I enjoy studying sometimes, learning has always been difficult for me and I wouldn’t consider myself very academic. So, I’ve decided to start this thread to help me get into sixth form hopefully it will give me some motivation to work hard! I have one of the worst memory and it takes me a long time to learn something so my expectations are quite low. However, I really want to continue to sixth form, so this thread will hopefully help me achieve the grades I need to get there. In previous KS3 exams I have done terribly - some exams not even getting 10% of the marks, but I really want to change that. I know I can. I know I will.

academic info
The subjects I am taking and the grades I hope to achieve at the end of Year 11 are:

AQA Maths: 6

AQA English Language: 5

AQA English Literature: 5

AQA Biology: 6

AQA Chemistry: 6

AQA Physics: 6

AQA French: 5

AQA History: 5

WJEC Eduqas Religious Studies: 5

I really hope to achieve 6’s in the Maths and Science subjects as those are the ones I want to take in Sixth Form (Maths + 1 or 2 Sciences). After Sixth Form, I’m not sure what I want to do at the moment I know I want to go to university but I don’t know what to study. I’m not too sure how often I will be updating this thread but hopefully it will be somewhat frequently. When I update the thread, I will include the things I have done since the last update and any revision tips and exam results.

:party:

I hope you join me on my journey and enjoy reading my posts, even if I’m not getting 9’s all around!

~ Eulex

:tsr:

Reply 1
Very best of luck mate :biggrin: x
Reply 2

day 1
school
Evidently it was my first day back today and I absolutely love my timetable. Today I have a full day of English, Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics, so that was a pretty interesting start. In English we are starting to read An Inspector Calls, so I thought I would go home and watch the BBC 2015 adaptation of the play before we read it so I had an understanding of the text beforehand, and the film was absolutely amazing. If it's anything like the book, which I think it is, then I'm going to really enjoy it, which will perhaps make me more motivated to learn about it. In the sciences we are starting Topic 2 because we started Topic 1 last year, so I need to write up notes on Topic 1 this weekend because we may not be going over it again. Today I have my first History lesson - I really hope my teacher is good because I believe that is an important factor on student success. My teachers so far have been brilliant, so I'm really happy. Also, I only have 6 different subjects on my whole timetable which is quite funny, those being Maths, English, Science, RS, French and History. I don't know why they didn't do the sciences separate, but I guess that's because the teachers will probably go over some of the other sciences.

after school
In terms of what I did after school, I started off with doing some Maths, where I wrote some notes on percentages. For sciences I was going to type up some flashcards for Topic 2 but as it turned out I had already made them some time ago, so I didn't bother doing anything for science except sorting out the flashcards in the relevant Quizlet account and folders. For English, I bought the An Inspector Calls text and the CGP revision guide and workbook for it. I also watched the film adaptation like I already said and I watched Mr. Bruff's video on Paper 2 Section A, which is the question that An Inspector Calls is in so I can get an idea of what the questions are like, which brings me to my revision tip of the day.

revision tip of the day
A lot of people are already aware of him, but if you're doing AQA English, Mr. Bruff and his revision guides are a life saver. I would recommend his video playlists apposed to his revision guide because it's basically a script for his videos. Furthermore, his videos are free to watch, but his revision guide is not.

~ Eulex

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Eulex

TSR Banner.png

intro
In spirit of school starting, I thought I would make one of these Grow Your Grades thread for both recreation and motivation. I’m currently starting Year 10 and although I enjoy studying sometimes, learning has always been difficult for me and I wouldn’t consider myself very academic. So, I’ve decided to start this thread to help me get into sixth form hopefully it will give me some motivation to work hard! I have one of the worst memory and it takes me a long time to learn something so my expectations are quite low. However, I really want to continue to sixth form, so this thread will hopefully help me achieve the grades I need to get there. In previous KS3 exams I have done terribly - some exams not even getting 10% of the marks, but I really want to change that. I know I can. I know I will.

academic info
The subjects I am taking and the grades I hope to achieve at the end of Year 11 are:

AQA Maths: 6

AQA English Language: 5

AQA English Literature: 5

AQA Biology: 6

AQA Chemistry: 6

AQA Physics: 6

AQA French: 5

AQA History: 5

WJEC Eduqas Religious Studies: 5

I really hope to achieve 6’s in the Maths and Science subjects as those are the ones I want to take in Sixth Form (Maths + 1 or 2 Sciences). After Sixth Form, I’m not sure what I want to do at the moment I know I want to go to university but I don’t know what to study. I’m not too sure how often I will be updating this thread but hopefully it will be somewhat frequently. When I update the thread, I will include the things I have done since the last update and any revision tips and exam results.

:party:

I hope you join me on my journey and enjoy reading my posts, even if I’m not getting 9’s all around!

~ Eulex

Good luck on starting year 10! It should be an interesting journey through GCSEs :h:
Reply 4

day 2

school
I had my first History lesson today and the teacher was a lot better than expected, but that lesson really showed me how much I didn't know compared to everyone else. If I'm completely honest, I know nothing about history so to come out with a grade 5 by the end of the year will be such a great achievement for me. We are starting with conflict and tension, so I think I will write some flashcards up on the topic this weekend. I decided to do my homework in school at lunch so I didn't have any homework to worry about during the weekend but as it turned out I got homework last lesson.

after school
I was incredibly tired after school probably because I wasn't used to waking up at 6am everyday yet, so I fell asleep as soon as I got home. I ended up waking up at around 6pm, so I did some Maths work on percentages and indices. After that I didn't do anything else but I plan to catch up on the weekend - which leads me to my revision tip of the day.

revision tip of the day
Today's revision tip is that when you're making a timetable, make sure you leave at least one day free a week so that if you don't do any work one day for some reason, you can just put it on the day you had free. I leave the weekend free to do anything I want, and this is very useful as I'm a professional procrastinator. I hope to get a lot done on Saturday.
~ Eulex

Reply 5

day 3

saturday
I am quite happy with how today turned out - I managed to get a lot done. I started off the day with doing some History flashcards, which I'll learn tomorrow. It really made me realise how content heavy the subject really is. It's quite scary, to be frank. Unfortunately our school probably chose the least popular Wider World Depth Studies option, which means that I have to revise from a study guide not a revision guide. Though I must say it's rather lucky we started with that topic because the revision guide I'm going to get doesn't come out until November. After that, I read An Inspector Calls so that I can start using my revision guide. To read it, I found an audio book on SoundCloud and used my e-book to follow allow, and it worked very well. I finished it in two hours. Then I did French, where I just went over the general vocabulary course I made which is around 500 words on Memrise, which brings me to my revision tip of the day.

revision tip of the day
A while back I decided to make some Memrise courses for the new AQA 9-1 French specification and they have attracted over 700 members so far which I didn't expect. If you're doing AQA for French, search for AQA 9-1 GCSE French - Theme-based Vocabulary on Memrise and you should find it.
~ Eulex

Reply 6

day 4

sunday
Today was a rather productive day for me. For French, I went over the General Vocabulary again, and did the vocabulary in technology and free-time activities. I also did a bunch of Duolingo lessons because I was bored. Then for History I wrote up flashcards for the next sub-topic but I haven't got round to learning them yet so I shall do that on Tuesday afternoon. After that, I did science, in which I did two topics for each of them. Fortunately it didn't take me that long, despite the fact I had to learn flashcards, watch MyGCSEScience videos, complete the worksheets that came with them and then complete CGP worksheets. I wanted to write some flashcards on English Language but since we aren't doing it yet I didn't think it was necessary, but I might do it at a later date though. My goal for the weekend was to be one sub-topic ahead for every lesson so that I can basically flip-learn in lessons, which I managed to complete, which also brings me to my revision tip of the day.

revision tip of the day
Before you go into a lesson, try and learn the lessons content before you go in if you are able to know what you're doing. This therefore makes class lessons seem more like revision lessons, and you can use your knowledge to impress your peers if you want.

~ Eulex

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending