The Student Room Group

Is it possible/to to go to my insurance instead of firm (when they arent in clearing)

got grades for both insurance and firm, is there any possible way at this stage i can weasel out of going to my firm and go to my insurance. Like on UCAS my results mustve been uploaded cos it used to be condition then it changed to unconditional firmly accepted. And insurance also updated to unconditional if don't get firm?

My insurance is UCL and they don't do clearing. Also UCAS say it's too late to do a swap. I coulda swapped earlier i guess but thats hindsight, is anything i can do now
Original post by bigstu99
got grades for both insurance and firm, is there any possible way at this stage i can weasel out of going to my firm and go to my insurance. Like on UCAS my results mustve been uploaded cos it used to be condition then it changed to unconditional firmly accepted. And insurance also updated to unconditional if don't get firm?

My insurance is UCL and they don't do clearing. Also UCAS say it's too late to do a swap. I coulda swapped earlier i guess but thats hindsight, is anything i can do now

At this point all you can do is reapply next year.
What is the course ?
TBH I'm guessing it is unlikely as courses at UCL tend to be oversubscribed and the period to get a place for clearing is on results day . After that likelihood of switching drops as places are taken up .
If your set on UCL ,i would ring Admissions for your course (May have to wait until Monday)
What is your firm ? If going to UCL will offer you much better prospects than apply again with your grades in hand ?

What's your firm? It must be quite good, and you typically wouldn't mind going to either of your firm and insurance.

Why the cold feet? It's hard to chose between two good universities, and there is some risk in trying to change, which I doubt is possible. University is a big step, and there will always be concerns before you actually go.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
At this point all you can do is reapply next year.

:frown: firm is happy for me to switch but no longer possible ucas say is there no ther way i can weasel out of the firm?

Original post by RogerOxon
What's your firm? It must be quite good, and you typically wouldn't mind going to either of your firm and insurance.

Why the cold feet? It's hard to chose between two good universities, and there is some risk in trying to change, which I doubt is possible. University is a big step, and there will always be concerns before you actually go.

Firm is nottingham, I know there not as famous/prestige than UCL but when i visited them both my impression was more positive at nottingham (left the campus with a huge buzz wheras at UCL i had huge buzz on the tube when it said University College in one of the tube stops and it was so central goodge st warren st gower st wow im going to visit UCL and the big building i seen in pictures but the department itself didn't excite me as much )

felt like nottingham were more caring about students like if i need help or struggling. And they have great links and sandwich years set up with companies i'd really like to work for which will help me make the step from fresh graduate to being employed properly. I asked myself prestige not considered which would i choose and firmed nottingham.

However UCL has that prestige, and although nottingham gives me good sandwich years and employment links to get that first job at the companies i want. 10 years into my career when I want senior positions maybe the brand name will help.

I've kinda got this "Fear of Missing Out" on the benefits of the UCL brand name and being not at the beginning of my career but 10 -15 years down the line when the rewards are reaped and I'll be sat there thinking if only i firmed UCL (which if i did i'd be there as i hit offer conditions) I'd be a like in a much more senior/ high pay position, and got overlooked cos i didn't pick them.:frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
However UCL has that prestige, and although nottingham gives me good sandwich years and employment links to get that first job at the companies i want. 10 years into my career when I want senior positions maybe the brand name will help.

What you have done in those 10 years will be what is important.

I've kinda got this "Fear of Missing Out" on the benefits of the UCL brand name and being not at the beginning of my career but 10 -15 years down the line when the rewards are reaped and I'll be sat there thinking if only i firmed UCL (which if i did i'd be there as i hit offer conditions) I'd be a like in a much more senior/ high pay position, and got overlooked cos i didn't pick them.:frown:

You'll also miss-out on the expense of London.

You gut told you that Nottingham was better for you. How would you feel if it were a choice between a first from Nottingham or a 2.1 from UCL?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending