The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

2018 Applicants - Ask us Anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ros1e1
I don’t know if there is an official Facebook group but I created one for 2018 applicants. Just search Heriot Watt Applicants 2018

Thanks for setting up Ros1e1!

Loving the grass root revolution! :smile:

Cheers,
Keir
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
Original post by hakunamatata1225
Hi, I've got a quick question regarding chemical engineering. On the heriot watt website it says that chemical engineering courses are accredited but looking on the Engineering Council (http://prntscr.com/j993sg) website it says that it's no longer accredited (https://prnt.sc/j992iw) and also on their website it says that if the course is accredited during the year of entry then the degree will also be accredited (http://prntscr.com/j994jx)

I've got conditionals from here but just iffy about this, could you please clarify?

Hi there,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention... I haven't come across this before so I am doing some digging with the department and the Engineering Council. It seems odd so I will try and get back to you as quickly as possible.

Cheers,
Keir :smile:
Original post by Jade44
Hi I was wondering does the actuarial science degree with year in industry give you the opportunity to study abroad? And do you have to pay any extra for this?

Hi there,

For Actuarial Science you can do the course with a year in industry and have the opportunity to study abroad. This should not cost you any extra with regards to tuition. Obviously if you are travelling abroad you will have to take that into consideration but we do support our students as much as we can :smile:

Hope this has helped,
Kind regards,
Keir
hi

How many days does it usually take to know the outcome of a scholarship application ?
Hello,

I wanted to know when the decisions for the International Scholarship are available for applicants.

Could you please also specify how many 100% and how many 50% are actually available.

Also, do you offer any work for students to help tackle the international fees in addition to the course they are doing?

Many Thanks.
Original post by hakunamatata1225
Hi, I've got a quick question regarding chemical engineering. On the heriot watt website it says that chemical engineering courses are accredited but looking on the Engineering Council (http://prntscr.com/j993sg) website it says that it's no longer accredited (https://prnt.sc/j992iw) and also on their website it says that if the course is accredited during the year of entry then the degree will also be accredited (http://prntscr.com/j994jx)

I've got conditionals from here but just iffy about this, could you please clarify?

Hi Hakunamatata,

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, my colleagues have been chasing the IChemE for a response about this and it turns out that the website has an error. I am delighted to confirm that both courses are fully accredited and the website is going to be fixed from their end! :banana:

Again can I congratulate you on your detective skills and thank you so much for bringing it to our attention, I am pleased that it will now be fixed and I am sure by raising this you will have helped future students too so you definitely deserve a gold medal! :thumbsup:

I know the timing in this has been awful as the UCAS decision deadline has just passed, if you need to speak to us about your decisions please dm me.

Thanks again,
Keir
Original post by Heriot-Watt University
Hi Hakunamatata,

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, my colleagues have been chasing the IChemE for a response about this and it turns out that the website has an error. I am delighted to confirm that both courses are fully accredited and the website is going to be fixed from their end! :banana:

Again can I congratulate you on your detective skills and thank you so much for bringing it to our attention, I am pleased that it will now be fixed and I am sure by raising this you will have helped future students too so you definitely deserve a gold medal! :thumbsup:

I know the timing in this has been awful as the UCAS decision deadline has just passed, if you need to speak to us about your decisions please dm me.

Thanks again,
Keir

No problem however I regretfully had to reject Heriot-Watt but that issue wasn't the problem. Just the usual financial problems :colondollar: since I live in Glasgow
Reply 87
Hi!

I've applied to HW Malaysia over a month ago for the September 2018 intake and have not received a reply to the application nor any emails I've sent to the admissions/student recruitment office. I was just wondering when I could get a reply as I need to decide on where I will study as soon as possible.

Thanks and hope to hear from you soon!
Original post by anoved
Hi!

I've applied to HW Malaysia over a month ago for the September 2018 intake and have not received a reply to the application nor any emails I've sent to the admissions/student recruitment office. I was just wondering when I could get a reply as I need to decide on where I will study as soon as possible.

Thanks and hope to hear from you soon!

HI there,

Sorry that you haven't had a response yet. I can chase this up with my colleagues in Malaysia. Can you send me a direct message with your details (Name/course you have applied for etc.)

Cheers,
Keir :smile:
Reply 89
Hi!I've applied to HW Malaysia one month ago and have not received a reply. I've emailed one consultant from the Student Recruitment office and still have not received a reply. I applied for the September 2018 intake. I was just wondering when I can get a reply for the application, as I need to make a decision on a university choice by next week.Thanks and hope to hear back from you soon!
Hi anoved,

Can you please send us a private message with your details (Name/course you have applied for etc.) and we will chase this up with our colleagues in Malaysia?

Thanks,

Carole

Original post by anoved
Hi!I've applied to HW Malaysia one month ago and have not received a reply. I've emailed one consultant from the Student Recruitment office and still have not received a reply. I applied for the September 2018 intake. I was just wondering when I can get a reply for the application, as I need to make a decision on a university choice by next week.Thanks and hope to hear back from you soon!
Hey,
M wajid from india.
M making my mind to study in pertroleum engineering der. Is der any problem persuing pet.. engg. N wat aboyt d teaching staff n student atmosphere. Also wats d career growth after tht.
Hi, how lenient is Heriot Watt if you miss your offer grades ?
Hi, I have applied for biological sciences at HW and I have managed to meet every requirement except for one! The course needs an average grade score of 19/20 and I got 18.6/20. How likely is it for me to make it?
Reply 94
In 2012, wishing to study in a UK university, I turned toward Heriot-Watt university. University that had been recommended to me at the time by an academic advising office.
I had never heard about Heriot-Watt; but I had noticed that this Uni was very present on internet and social media. Also, the University had different campuses, in Scotland (the main one), in Malaysia, in Dubai and in London.
My acceptance and integration on the basis of student credits transfer has been done rapidly and easily.
Once studying at Heriot-Watt London, the lectures were interesting but the academic organisation as the administration were very messy. The relationships between lecturers and academic staff were sometimes conflicting which was embarrassing for students.
The academic staff turnover was incredibly high (during my degree I met more than 5 different academic advisors or registrars), and the indications given by them were most of the time strange and confusing. Also, there were not resit exams at the time and surprisingly as a current student I did not have access to my academic transcript.
Then one day, we were told that the structures of the courses had to change and be lengthened while the programmes were running.
Many unhappy students decided to leave the Uni; and so, Heriot-Watt academic managers tried to retain others students providing different explanations or arguments such as: “Now every student will have the opportunity to take resit exams in case of exams failure”, “Programme change will not have any impact on your promotion” or “Programme change only concerns some extra credits”. They even proposed to offer an IPad to the students.
Concerning me, I had made the decision to complete my bachelor degree at Heriot-Watt trusting the academic staff. So, I spent an extra year and a half to study on campus in order to complete my degree.
After graduating, when seeing for the first time my Bachelor certificate and my official transcript I realised that Heriot-Watt London had changed me promotion, even worse, nothing about my credits transferred was mentioned.
When I sought for explanations from Heriot-Watt London I discovered that HERIOT-WATT LONDON WAS NOW PERMANENTLY CLOSED!!! Yes!! Only a few months after the end of my degree, the campus did not exist anymore!! I even noticed on LinkedIn that the “former” academic staff had already pursued their careers somewhere else.
Since, I have tried to obtain some explanations from Heriot-Watt main campus. The student services manager firstly told me that my student file had been archived and they did not have access to my admissions records. After that, they avoided answering my questions, and then, they stopped responding my emails.
Scandalised by this attitude, I informed the education advising office which had suggested me this university. Of course they will no longer recommend Heriot-Watt University to their students.
Logically, it can be concluded that Heriot-Watt London had been in bankruptcy for quite a certain time and had increased the duration of their running programmes in order to manage their bankruptcy.
Today, I strongly recommend all those looking to integrate a new university to avoid Heriot-Watt.
Original post by AJT-F
In 2012, wishing to study in a UK university, I turned toward Heriot-Watt university. University that had been recommended to me at the time by an academic advising office.
I had never heard about Heriot-Watt; but I had noticed that this Uni was very present on internet and social media. Also, the University had different campuses, in Scotland (the main one), in Malaysia, in Dubai and in London.
My acceptance and integration on the basis of student credits transfer has been done rapidly and easily.
Once studying at Heriot-Watt London, the lectures were interesting but the academic organisation as the administration were very messy. The relationships between lecturers and academic staff were sometimes conflicting which was embarrassing for students.
The academic staff turnover was incredibly high (during my degree I met more than 5 different academic advisors or registrars), and the indications given by them were most of the time strange and confusing. Also, there were not resit exams at the time and surprisingly as a current student I did not have access to my academic transcript.
Then one day, we were told that the structures of the courses had to change and be lengthened while the programmes were running.
Many unhappy students decided to leave the Uni; and so, Heriot-Watt academic managers tried to retain others students providing different explanations or arguments such as: “Now every student will have the opportunity to take resit exams in case of exams failure”, “Programme change will not have any impact on your promotion” or “Programme change only concerns some extra credits”. They even proposed to offer an IPad to the students.
Concerning me, I had made the decision to complete my bachelor degree at Heriot-Watt trusting the academic staff. So, I spent an extra year and a half to study on campus in order to complete my degree.
After graduating, when seeing for the first time my Bachelor certificate and my official transcript I realised that Heriot-Watt London had changed me promotion, even worse, nothing about my credits transferred was mentioned.
When I sought for explanations from Heriot-Watt London I discovered that HERIOT-WATT LONDON WAS NOW PERMANENTLY CLOSED!!! Yes!! Only a few months after the end of my degree, the campus did not exist anymore!! I even noticed on LinkedIn that the “former” academic staff had already pursued their careers somewhere else.
Since, I have tried to obtain some explanations from Heriot-Watt main campus. The student services manager firstly told me that my student file had been archived and they did not have access to my admissions records. After that, they avoided answering my questions, and then, they stopped responding my emails.
Scandalised by this attitude, I informed the education advising office which had suggested me this university. Of course they will no longer recommend Heriot-Watt University to their students.
Logically, it can be concluded that Heriot-Watt London had been in bankruptcy for quite a certain time and had increased the duration of their running programmes in order to manage their bankruptcy.
Today, I strongly recommend all those looking to integrate a new university to avoid Heriot-Watt.

Hi there,

We are sorry to hear about the negative experience that you have had whilst studying at Heriot-Watt University in London. The University prides itself in seeking to offer the best possible student experience and we regret that your own experience of the University was not to these high standards.

The University announced the closure of our Associate Campus in London in 2015 and at that time students were offered a wide range of support measures to ensure that they could graduate successfully. We continue to offer support to graduates (e.g. in issuing degree transcripts ) and other services in keeping with the University’s strong connection with our alumni community.

We remain committed to supporting all our graduates and we will be happy to seek to answer any questions you may have in accessing these services.

Please contact us at [email protected] where we will be happy to seek to resolve any concerns you may have.

Kind regards,
Keir
Hi sir.
I m Prabhav from India.I got my offer letter in software engineering for September intake.Getting confused in few matters.One is that ki I ve one more option n that is of doing CS in Strathclyde university.So plz guide me.
My mother is quite confused by mixed information she is getting from different people.Some says life in Edinburgh n glasgow is very depressing.Sir plz guide me
Hi
Got my conditional offer in software engineering.Expecting for scholarship bt didn't got.Want to know why?
Hi, is there any way you can learn how to play a music instrument on HW?
Hi Prabhav! we're really glad to hear you're interested in Heriot-Watt university.

I’m not sure where your mother is hearing this but it’s definitely not right. In fact as I type this I’m looking out on a gorgeous sunny day! I can’t speak for Glasgow as Heriot-Watt University is situated in Edinburgh, but Edinburgh is repeatedly ranked as one of the best places to live and work in the world. It’s a really stunning city to live in and in no way depressing!

Check out this recent article which might be helpful: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/edinburgh-is-the-most-attractive-city-in-the-uk-to-live-and-work-in-according-to-a-new-study-a3790451.html

Original post by Prrabhav
Hi sir.
I m Prabhav from India.I got my offer letter in software engineering for September intake.Getting confused in few matters.One is that ki I ve one more option n that is of doing CS in Strathclyde university.So plz guide me.
My mother is quite confused by mixed information she is getting from different people.Some says life in Edinburgh n glasgow is very depressing.Sir plz guide me

Quick Reply

Latest