The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

A friend of mine did a Physics undergrad, then PhD in Astrophysics - he now works as a Data Scientist at Aviva. Essentially, it's a reputable numerate degree - so as well as various physics related things (also some engineering roles), and all the "generalist" positions anyone with a degree could theoretically apply to, it's suitable for any kind of quantitative finance, data science, and similar roles.

Most physics courses also contain at least some computing/programming elements, and often have options to do a fair amount of computational work (especially in astrophysics). As such, it can be a suitable background for going into a software development role (another friend of mine who did Astrophysics as an undergrad, who didn't want to do a PhD, ended up joining the Met Office as one of their development grad scheme people).
Original post by artful_lounger
A friend of mine did a Physics undergrad, then PhD in Astrophysics - he now works as a Data Scientist at Aviva. Essentially, it's a reputable numerate degree - so as well as various physics related things (also some engineering roles), and all the "generalist" positions anyone with a degree could theoretically apply to, it's suitable for any kind of quantitative finance, data science, and similar roles.

Most physics courses also contain at least some computing/programming elements, and often have options to do a fair amount of computational work (especially in astrophysics). As such, it can be a suitable background for going into a software development role (another friend of mine who did Astrophysics as an undergrad, who didn't want to do a PhD, ended up joining the Met Office as one of their development grad scheme people).

Would you say an Astrophysics degree will help to move into tech or finance? I know it is considered stem, but how much more convincing will you need, if any? Or is it just applying to the relevant grad schemes that interest you, for example software engineering?
Original post by beatricehalley
Would you say an Astrophysics degree will help to move into tech or finance? I know it is considered stem, but how much more convincing will you need, if any? Or is it just applying to the relevant grad schemes that interest you, for example software engineering?

Yes that would be fine. I actually know someone who did an astrophysics PhD and then got a job as a data scientist at a multinational insurance company...

edit: I actually mentioned this guy in my post above I see.

This thread is 4 years old, please don't bump old threads!
(edited 1 year ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending