The Student Room Group

Apply for university through clearing

I didn’t apply to university but I’ve had a change of mind. So would I be able to apply to university through clearing eventhough I didn’t apply to university in January?
Original post by Seokrae
I didn’t apply to university but I’ve had a change of mind. So would I be able to apply to university through clearing eventhough I didn’t apply to university in January?

Yes. You don't need to have applied during the main cycle to use clearing.
Original post by Seokrae

Why wait until clearing?
if you apply now then you get 5 choices and can still use clearing as a backup

you need a full application to use clearing so it’s better to get it submitted sooner instead of waiting until the last minute.
Reply 3
What subject are you interested in - and what A level / BTEC grades do you have?
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
What subject are you interested in - and what A level / BTEC grades do you have?

I’m interested in astrophysics and I do geography economics and physics
My predicted grades are BBB.
If I were to apply through clearing since I haven’t done maths I would apply for astrophysics with a foundation year.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Seokrae
If I were to apply through clearing since I haven’t done maths I would apply for astrophysics with a foundation year.

You can apply now for a foundation year. You dont need to wait for clearing. That gives you 2 bites of the cherry instead of one
Reply 6
Original post by swanseajack1
You can apply now for a foundation year. You dont need to wait for clearing. That gives you 2 bites of the cherry instead of one

Ah I never knew you could do that. Would I apply now through UCAS?
Original post by Seokrae
Ah I never knew you could do that. Would I apply now through UCAS?

Yes the equal consideration deadline in January is not a deadline as such. It is only the time that universities have to give everyone equal consideration. After that time they will consider you only if they have space. They have until July tto make offers after which everything is dealt with in clearing.
Original post by Seokrae

I would suggest also looking at physics with foundation year courses, as an astrophysics degree is just a physics degree with the astro options "preselected" - so you will cover the same material if you pick a physics degree and choose those options :smile:

This is mainly of note because not all unis offer a degree specifically called "astrophysics" but uou will cover that content in any physics degree offering astrophysics options!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending