The Student Room Group

LNAT essay

Please can I have some feedback - it’s my first essay and I’m really really worried about the essay.

‘It is right that students should contribute to the cost of their degrees.’ Do you agree?
Contributing towards the cost of one's degrees would not only improve the determination of a student to do well but also ensures good quality education is provided. Making tuition fees compulsory would lead to a decrease in the number of university applicants; consequently, students will benefit from this as it would ensure more focused attention from their lecturers. Many would not have to worry about getting their money worth as a result of further investment into the university (funded by the tuition fees) which would lead to increased resources to aid one's learning. In addition, universities would experience more pressure as result of satisfying their 'customers' thus will seek to improve their teaching standards and employability of their students in order to succeed in competition with other universities. This means that students will develop to such an extent that they are ready to face the working world and beyond.
Another advantage of enforcing payments is that it will discourage students who aren't too keen on progressing their studies. If people have to pay, they would fully acknowledge the value of their education so more students will be motivated; determination is challenging to maintain especially with the independence at university to many, a handout will not be encouraging.
Additionally, without tuition payments, where will the money to run the university come from? One needs to consider the payment of teacher salaries, operating expenses, insurance, buildings and maintenance all factors that require heavy payment and are out of the government's budget. If there were no tuition fees, the standards would slip as a result of mainly relying on the government to fund these running costs.
The opposing side to this argument is that fees restrict many across the nation who have the aspirations and the capability to study further. With no fees, everyone would have an equal chance to pursue higher studies despite their economic background and admission would be based on meritocracy; this would result in an increase in competition ultimately leading to brilliant students who would build a strong nation. Imposing fees would simply be unjust why should certain individuals not be able to educate themselves further because of their wealth? Is this not discrimination?
Moreover, as a consequence of free education, there would be a more accomplished and productive workforce. This provides external benefits to the society such as a greater awareness, as well as the economy - the GDP will grow as economic growth is driven by productivity and a key component of productivity is education. This refers to the negatives of tuition fees as its' discouragement would result in less contributing to the economy.
A potential applicant has to consider the cost of their degree and also general living costs that can cripple a family financially. Albeit, there are schemes established such as scholarships to identify and aid students who want to learn but are deprived of the opportunity due to lack of funds. In addition, student loans are based on their family's financial income and they do not have to be paid back until they are earning over £21,000 per annum; this presents how tuitions fees does not directly lead to holding ambitious students back.
On balance, whilst it demoralises those less fortunate to apply to and removes the element of meritocracy, it does ensure institutions are on their best performance thus students will receive a more valuable experience- I consider this to be the most compelling reason as to why tuition fees should be implemented.
This has reminded me that I should probably start some similar prep, not least considering I booked last weekend. As for the content, despite not being qualified in any way shape or form, I would probably amend a few parts. The '... ...but also ensures good quality education is provided.' seems misplaced and is not outlined as to how and you also talk about how tuition fees could lead to a decrease in applicants, similarly, not saying how - I am not sure about you, but I would want to show full understanding in any piece I write; beyond that, you get the gist.
Reply 2
Original post by Conceited
This has reminded me that I should probably start some similar prep, not least considering I booked last weekend. As for the content, despite not being qualified in any way shape or form, I would probably amend a few parts. The '... ...but also ensures good quality education is provided.' seems misplaced and is not outlined as to how and you also talk about how tuition fees could lead to a decrease in applicants, similarly, not saying how - I am not sure about you, but I would want to show full understanding in any piece I write; beyond that, you get the gist.

Thank you very much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending