The Student Room Group

Volunteering with Samaritans

Hi there,

I'm just wondering if anyone here has any experience with volunteering for the Samaritans? I am in my third year at uni and feel like this would be a great thing to do for many reasons.

I was just wondering how long they expect you to commit a week, considering I am a student I couldn't dedicate a lot of hours.

I am not the most confident person (I don't like to use the word anxious), I can stutter on the phone but I am non-judgemental and empathetic, would this put them off? I've heard there is quite a rigorous interview/training process.

Thanks
I went to an information evening a few months back for Samaritans. From what I can remember, they said you're expected to work one day shift every two weeks and then one night shift every 4 weeks. There's two night shifts - one from early evening to about midnight and another from midnight to early morning.
Original post by bones-mccoy
I went to an information evening a few months back for Samaritans. From what I can remember, they said you're expected to work one day shift every two weeks and then one night shift every 4 weeks. There's two night shifts - one from early evening to about midnight and another from midnight to early morning.

Did you pursue the volunteering, I've always been interested in becoming a 'listener' but it never came to fruition.
Original post by King Leonidas
Did you pursue the volunteering, I've always been interested in becoming a 'listener' but it never came to fruition.

Nah, it just wasn't viable for me cause I don't drive and although they provide taxis for people who work the night shifts, I still wouldn't have felt safe. Also got to consider how much it would have messed up my sleep schedule with work. It's a really decent, kind thing to do though.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending