The Student Room Group

Only got insured 2 weeks ago and scratched someones car

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stoyfan
The only person who is missing the point is you.

How does scratching a car make OP a dangerous driver?

No competent driver would hit a PARKED car. The fact she just drove off after makes it even worse.
Original post by UniWasEz
No competent driver would hit a PARKED car. The fact she just drove off after makes it even worse.

It seems that you are dodging my question.

How does scratching a car make op a DANGEROUS driver?
Original post by stoyfan

I'm not dodging your question, I have already answered the same question previously. To hit a parked car you'd have to have either no control over your car or be severely lacking in positional awareness. Both of these would contribute to being a dangerous driver.
Shame TC isn't as good at missing parked cars as you are at missing the point.

Which is? :curious:
Reply 44
I'm not dodging your question, I have already answered the same question previously. To hit a parked car you'd have to have either no control over your car or be severely lacking in positional awareness. Both of these would contribute to being a dangerous driver.

You're absolutely clueless... reiterating the same invalid point is making you out to be a troll. Cease, and desist. You've said your piece, move along, sunshine.
Original post by IWMTom
You're absolutely clueless... reiterating the same invalid point is making you out to be a troll. Cease, and desist. You've said your piece, move along, sunshine.

You're the one that has been abusive, probably because you're bitter that I'm right.
Reply 46
You're the one that has been abusive, probably because you're bitter that I'm right.

:facepalm:
Original post by stoyfan

WHAT. THE. F****?
That is an absurdly stupid question but I will answer it hoping for a chance the answer might sink in somewhere.

If you operate any sort of machine or vehicle and you touch something, this makes you dangerous as that "something" could be a person. Moving machinery and people entering the same space doesnt bode well for the people. People will typically get injured, and its this risk of injury that makes your car scratching driver "dangerous". Particularly in this case with the failure to even be aware there was an incident. Completely unacceptable in my view.
Reply 48
Original post by Laomedeia

If you operate any sort of machine or vehicle and you touch something, this makes you dangerous as that "something" could be a person.

People aren't going to do a tight manoeuvre around a person.

As you may remember from driving lessons, parking the car consists of 3 different tasks.
One, is the frequent surroundings check for a change in circumstances.
Second, is the signal to let people know they are about to or is manoeuvring via indicators, working brake/reverse lights, etc.
The third is manoeuvring the car around immobile objects. You don't move when things are moving around you, remember?

There is a bit of skill involved regarding tight parking, which can easily be misjudged by most people, including you and even professional drivers. The premise of 'All safe drivers never make a scratch' is frankly ridiculous and untrue.
The most important part is that they do it in a controlled manner.

There is always a point in time when manoeuvring that there is gap between you checking something and doing the manoeuvre, simply because you don't have 360 degree vision and are human. Hence why we signal and have reverse lights, to tell both people you have identified as a hazard and more importantly, the unbeknownst to you (potential hazards), that you are planning to park.

The dangerous part falls down to failing the surroundings check and failing to make sufficient indication of a manoeuvre.

The point is, OP not having the skill to park in a tight space doesn't necessarily mean they are dangerous, as they could very well have done sufficient checks for people / moving objects nearby and made sufficient signals. OP simply failed to navigate around immobile objects due to misjudgement. Yes, they failed to notice the damage and you can make the assumption that this detracts from their general situational awareness but at the end of the day, this doesn't fully correlate to OP not having checked for people or hazards whilst making the manoeuvre in the first place.

If you operate any sort of machine or vehicle

We're talking about vehicles. Let's keep this in context.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by NX172
People aren't going to do a tight manoeuvre around a person.

As you may remember from driving lessons, parking the car consists of 3 different tasks.
One, is the frequent surroundings check for a change in circumstances.
Second, is the signal to let people know they are about to or is manoeuvring via indicators, working brake/reverse lights, etc.
The third is manoeuvring the car around immobile objects. You don't move when things are moving around you, remember?

There is a bit of skill involved regarding tight parking, which can easily be misjudged by most people, including you and even professional drivers. The premise of 'All safe drivers never make a scratch' is frankly ridiculous and untrue.
The most important part is that they do it in a controlled manner.

There is always a point in time when manoeuvring that there is gap between you checking something and doing the manoeuvre, simply because you don't have 360 degree vision and are human. Hence why we signal and have reverse lights, to tell both people you have identified as a hazard and more importantly, the unbeknownst to you (potential hazards), that you are planning to park.

The dangerous part falls down to failing the surroundings check and failing to make sufficient indication of a manoeuvre.

The point is, OP not having the skill to park in a tight space doesn't necessarily mean they are dangerous, as they could very well have done sufficient checks for people / moving objects nearby and made sufficient signals. OP simply failed to navigate around immobile objects due to misjudgement. Yes, they failed to notice the damage and you can make the assumption that this detracts from their general situational awareness but at the end of the day, this doesn't fully correlate to OP not having checked for people or hazards whilst making the manoeuvre in the first place.

We're talking about vehicles. Let's keep this in context.

Couldn't agree with this more. PRSOM.
A scratch on their bumper wouldn't effect the brakes or handbrake... If they're saying that, they're trying to do you over.
WHAT. THE. F****?
That is an absurdly stupid question but I will answer it hoping for a chance the answer might sink in somewhere.

If you operate any sort of machine or vehicle and you touch something, this makes you dangerous as that "something" could be a person. Moving machinery and people entering the same space doesnt bode well for the people. People will typically get injured, and its this risk of injury that makes your car scratching driver "dangerous". Particularly in this case with the failure to even be aware there was an incident. Completely unacceptable in my view.

Very well put
I think some people seem to be mixing the offence of dangerous driving with "an action which has the potential to have caused danger".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending