Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in Year 12 studying 3 A levels: Maths, Further Maths and Physics, all of them are linear ( I take all the exams at the end of Year 13). Everyone in my school is doing 3 but most people on TSR are doing 4 and the good sixth forms in my area are also doing 4. Will I be put at a disadvantage when applying to university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doctor1234)
    I'm currently in Year 12 studying 3 A levels: Maths, Further Maths and Physics, all of them are linear ( I take all the exams at the end of Year 13). Everyone in my school is doing 3 but most people on TSR are doing 4 and the good sixth forms in my area are also doing 4. Will I be put at a disadvantage when applying to university?
    I'm doing three - Maths, CS and French. I was intending on doing four, but none of the subjects in the final option block appealed to me. Universities base their offers on 3 A-levels, so you won't be put at a disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    You definitely won't be put at a disadvantage - all unis put their offers/entry requirements as just 3!
    The way I look at it , is that it really could be seen as an advantage because 3 rather than 4 is much easier and likely to get better results.
    Good luck!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing 3 too because they are being taught as a linear course at my college. You can always do an EPQ if you feel it'll help your application. Quality > quantity.

ReputationRep:
    Only advantages of doing 4 are.. you can drop one if you don’t get the grades you’d want and you’re doing better in the others, and that if you’re doing as further maths it will be useful in like first year of uni

ReputationRep:
    You know what? I've asked the same question to TSR and they said that 3 is good enough.

However, I also noticed that pretty much flipping everyone who does Maths and Further Maths also does another 2 A levels, so I decided to also do computer science. Whether or not I regret my decision still remains to be seen...

The main reason why I am doing 4 A levels is because my careers advisor couldn't give me a straight answer to whether 3 A levels would put me at a disadvantage when pretty much everyone is doing 4.

ReputationRep:
    Im also doing 3 A levels (not including the baccalaureate) as thats the advice my school gave me. I honestly believe that universities would be more inclined to offer you a place with 3 amazing grades rather that 4 average grades. However, if you're a person who enjoys being busy and you believe you could get 4 amazing grades then go for it!! good luck!!
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    3 is fine for any university, including Oxbridge.

What do you think you might want to study at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stoyfan)
    You know what? I've asked the same question to TSR and they said that 3 is good enough.

However, I also noticed that pretty much flipping everyone who does Maths and Further Maths also does another 2 A levels, so I decided to also do computer science. Whether or not I regret my decision still remains to be seen...

The main reason why I am doing 4 A levels is because my careers advisor couldn't give me a straight answer to whether 3 A levels would put me at a disadvantage when pretty much everyone is doing 4.
    Yeah I've noticed many further maths students choose 4 A levels, so I thought I may be put a disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    3 is fine for any university, including Oxbridge.

What do you think you might want to study at uni?
    Lol Although my username suggests medicine, I'll probably apply for a physic/ maths related course. I still don't know exactly what course I want to study.

ReputationRep:
    Lol Although my username suggests medicine, I'll probably apply for a physic/ maths related course. I still don't know exactly what course I want to study.
    I chose 4 A levels because I might want to do engineering and I didn't know how the unis might react if I only did 4 A levels.

However, I do know many who got into uni for physics or maths just by doing Maths, FM and Physics.

I reckon you'll be fine.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    In which case your A-levels are perfect

Assuming you are interested STEM subjects: of course Maths and Physics but also CompSci, Engineering, etc are all open to you.

And good luck on your PhD when you get to that stage
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stoyfan)
    I chose 4 A levels because I might want to do engineering and I didn't know how the unis might react if I only did 4 A levels.

However, I do know many who got into uni for physics or maths just by doing Maths, FM and Physics.

I reckon you'll be fine.
    Correct. Those 3 are solid for Engineering.

4 are not required, and the risk of doing 4 is you might end up with, say, A*ABB instead of A*A*A...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellieg333)
    Only advantages of doing 4 are.. you can drop one if you don’t get the grades you’d want and you’re doing better in the others, and that if you’re doing as further maths it will be useful in like first year of uni
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellieg333)
    You're a bit too late to offer that advice. The OP is already doing his AS Levels.

ReputationRep:
    Most people on TSR aren't normal. Honestly it seems like everyone on this forum gets 100% A*s all the time and all they want to do is study. Having said that I'd do 4 subjects than drop the one your least interested in.

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to a guy who got into Cambridge medicine this year and he did 3 (Maths, Bio, Chem), so 3 is absolutely fine.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I am doing three chosen A-Levels and one compulsory. As others have said, universities only look at three so maybe it’s for the best that you only do three to achieve the best you can.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cmurphy21)
    Personally, I am doing three chosen A-Levels and one compulsory. As others have said, universities only look at three so maybe it’s for the best that you only do three to achieve the best you can.
    "Compulsory"?
    Are you in Wales? Or doing GS or CT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    "Compulsory"?
    Are you in Wales? Or doing GS or CT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, I am in Wales.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.