The Student Room Group

Learning To Be More Confident In My Ability : Year 10 GYG

Scroll to see replies

Original post by donut_mckenzie28
Welldone .You are doing good. I love your GYG . You inspire me so much . I'm busy completing my english notes to help me in lesson !:h:

aw thank you!
no problem - i hope i csn continue to inspire you :smile:
i need to do some english notes too... what are yours on?
Original post by laurawatt
Christ - I'm happy with an 8! Well done with all your grades though - they're great!
Your forecast grades - you can get predicted 9s? At our school you can't - they just predict you and 8 - probably so it doesn't raise your expectations too much :smile:
Well done again and have an awesome Christmas! :ahee:

hahah! i’m grateful for all my grades, but i know i’m capable of more :/

i’m not really sure if they can predict us 9’s, but the 9’s generally get given out to the top 2% (as it would be in the actual thing) or in my case, the person who got the highest but i don’t really expect to get a 9 in english :s-smilie:

obviously a lot of my aspirational are 9’s as it’s their way of saying ‘oh yeah can u pls aim for a 9 thx a lot’
it’s not making me slack though, i’ll work sooo hard to guarantee the good grades!

have a good christmas too x
Original post by mez_merising
your english grade help meeeeee

i actually thought i’d done so badly and then i got full marks on most of it and THEN i found out i got better than everyone in top set and THEN i found out i got highest in the year so it’s weird

i hate essay based subjects, but clearly i’m meant to be good at them? (re, english lang&lit, geog, history?!)
Original post by clouddbubbles
AUTUMN TERM PROGRESS REVIEW REACTION

so just before I get into it, here's what to expect:
a forecast grade is what im expected to get in my gcse's based on how I've been doing in tests and classwork
an aspirational grade is what I should aspire to attain and what my teachers expect I should be able to achieve if I work hard
I will be colour coding this as well, green is for what im happy with and red is for what I'm disappointed with
i'll also let you know what my progress indicator, whether I'm above, on track or below expected progress...

i guess I've done quite well then!
once I've broken up for Christmas i'll try and do an in depth analysis of every subject this term, but hopefully you enjoyed finding out my current grades?!
hopefully i can get all 8/9's in my gcses :biggrin:
Okay. My advice would be to change this. :yes:

Aspirational grade = what is possible.

Forecast grades have been removed because they are not worthy of your attention.:nah:

I know it's difficult, but don't set expectations of yourself.:nah: What will be will be.:hippie:

On results day you're going to look at that piece of paper and you're going to be happy with the result because you tried your best and that's what you deserve and it will be fantastic.:awesome:

I'd be thinking like this

However, I am just a grumpy old fool with a strong opposite to standardised external assessment:shakecane: so don't pay a great deal of attention to me.:tongue:
(edited 6 years ago)
aw thank you!
no problem - i hope i csn continue to inspire you :smile:
i need to do some english notes too... what are yours on?
The poetry conflict cluster. I have to make notes on each poem so its easy to revise in year 11.I know it is early but it will help next year.

I am literally a stress freak.:smile:
The poetry conflict cluster. I have to make notes on each poem so its easy to revise in year 11.I know it is early but it will help next year.

I am literally a stress freak.:smile:

ohh no! after i’ve finished frankenstein that’s what i’m doing :frown: (so after christmas)
yes - be prepared! that’s what i’m doing for history
Original post by 04MR17
Okay. My advice would be to change this. :yes:

Aspirational grade = what is possible.

Forecast grades have been removed because they are not worthy of your attention.:nah:

I know it's difficult, but don't set expectations of yourself.:nah: What will be will be.:hippie:

On results day you're going to look at that piece of paper and you're going to be happy with the result because you tried your best and that's what you deserve and it will be fantastic.:awesome:

I'd be thinking like this

However, I am just a grumpy old fool with a strong opposite to standardised external assessment:shakecane: so don't pay a great deal of attention to me.:tongue:

aw you’re so nice :smile:
that’s how i’m trying to think of it, because sometimes these reviews can be really demoralising!!
i hate standardised assessments too sooooo?!

hopefully i will do well but i’ll have to work for it 😬
ohh no! after i’ve finished frankenstein that’s what i’m doing :frown: (so after christmas)
yes - be prepared! that’s what i’m doing for history

I would like doing this know as our teacher calls it a ' poetry journal' task we have to complete.
AUTUMN TERM PROGRESS REViEW REACTiON

a forecast grade is what im expected to get in my gcse's based on how I've been doing in tests and classwork
an aspirational grade is what I should aspire to attain and what my teachers expect I should be able to achieve if I work hard
I will be colour coding this as well, green is for what im happy with and red is for what I'm disappointed with
i'll also let you know what my progress indicator, whether I'm above, on track or below expected progress...

B i O L O G Y
forecast grade : 7
aspirational grade : 8
I'm feeling mixed about this, as expected I'm 'below' and after my tragic 60% in the last test I'm pretty happy with the grade but as i want to do medicine i should really aim for a 9!

C H E M i S T R Y
feeling similar to how i feel about my biology grades, but I've struggled with my teacher so i don't mind this!

E N G L i S H L A N G U A G E
forecast grade : 9
aspirational grade : 9
absolutely thrilled with this! it means i got the highest in the year in that test which makes me feel so so great :biggrin:
i really hate English, so i wasn't expecting a 9! i was getting 7's last year!

G E O G R A P H Y
forecast grade : 8
happy with this, geography is pretty dull anyway :/
being a perfectionist (and knowing i could have...) i really wanted a 9 in that previous test but there's room for improvement!

H i S T O R Y
again, I'm happy with this since I'm struggling mostly with history... i have a mock coming up soon and I'm petrified!
hopefully i have some hidden talent for history and it turns out I'm amazing?!
i wish I'd done better in my 16-mark question because then i could have gotten a 9...

M A T H S
for the first time in foreverrrrrr I'm not below target which is great! I've improved a lot since starting year 10 :smile:
there are still things I'm struggling with, but I'm aiming to revise them so that i get better...
fingers crossed i get that 8 in my gcses because maths is one of, if not the weakest subject of mine :s-smilie:

GCSE P E
i really want an 8, and I'm not going to hide that, but I've improved since year 9 when i was working at a 5/6 so its all good.
I'm going to take future theory exams a lot more seriously and try to get an 8 or 9

P H Y S i C S
I'm surprised at this as i haven't done too badly in my recent exams, but it doesn't matter. i need to work hard to do well in physics - it doesn't come naturally to me
my teacher is really good at what he does so hopefully he can help me achieve my full potential in physics

R E
disappointed, RE is really easy and i should be doing better, but it was my first test exam style so i don't mind, I've got time.
I've still got to get a revision guide for RE - my revision for it isn't the best but this should improve

S P A N i S H
sooo sad :frown:
in the past I've gotten 100% or just below so to get 91% in this recent test was a bit of a blow, everyone did so well compared to me! I'm not hoping to do spansh any further than a-level so its not the end of the world but I'm capable of a 9 so i feel i should be achieving it

once I've broken up for Christmas i'll try and do an in depth analysis of every subject this term, but hopefully you enjoyed finding out my current grades?!

WOAH YOUR GRADES ARE AWESOME! You’ve worked so hard for them, you really deserve them!
AUTUMN TERM PROGRESS REViEW REACTiON

B i O L O G Y
I'm feeling mixed about this, as expected I'm 'below' and after my tragic 60% in the last test I'm pretty happy with the grade but as i want to do medicine i should really aim for a 9!

C H E M i S T R Y
feeling similar to how i feel about my biology grades, but I've struggled with my teacher so i don't mind this!

E N G L i S H L A N G U A G E
absolutely thrilled with this! it means i got the highest in the year in that test which makes me feel so so great :biggrin:
i really hate English, so i wasn't expecting a 9! i was getting 7's last year!

G E O G R A P H Y
being a perfectionist (and knowing i could have...) i really wanted a 9 in that previous test but there's room for improvement!

H i S T O R Y
again, I'm happy with this since I'm struggling mostly with history... i have a mock coming up soon and I'm petrified!
hopefully i have some hidden talent for history and it turns out I'm amazing?!
i wish I'd done better in my 16-mark question because then i could have gotten a 9...

M A T H S
for the first time in foreverrrrrr I'm not below target which is great! I've improved a lot since starting year 10 :smile:
there are still things I'm struggling with, but I'm aiming to revise them so that i get better...
fingers crossed i get that 8 in my gcses because maths is one of, if not the weakest subject of mine :s-smilie:

GCSE P E
i really want an 8, and I'm not going to hide that, but I've improved since year 9 when i was working at a 5/6 so its all good.
I'm going to take future theory exams a lot more seriously and try to get an 8 or 9

P H Y S i C S
I'm surprised at this as i haven't done too badly in my recent exams, but it doesn't matter. i need to work hard to do well in physics - it doesn't come naturally to me
my teacher is really good at what he does so hopefully he can help me achieve my full potential in physics

R E
disappointed, RE is really easy and i should be doing better, but it was my first test exam style so i don't mind, I've got time.
I've still got to get a revision guide for RE - my revision for it isn't the best but this should improve

S P A N i S H
in the past I've gotten 100% or just below so to get 91% in this recent test was a bit of a blow, everyone did so well compared to me! I'm not hoping to do spansh any further than a-level so its not the end of the world but I'm capable of a 9 so i feel i should be achieving it

Woah, you did great my friend:tongue: Keep up the hard work!:biggrin:
Would you mind sitting my GCSEs for me..?:biggrin:
I would like doing this know as our teacher calls it a ' poetry journal' task we have to complete.

yeah that sounds really interesting
Original post by Toastiekid
WOAH YOUR GRADES ARE AWESOME! You’ve worked so hard for them, you really deserve them!

aw thanks! i can do better but i’m pretty happy with them for the first term :smile:

i’m excited for what’s to come!!
Original post by troubletracking
Woah, you did great my friend:tongue: Keep up the hard work!:biggrin:
Would you mind sitting my GCSEs for me..?:biggrin:

haha yay and thank you!!
work is so boring though... i guess it’s worth it?!
and you wouldn’t want me sitting your gcses - to be honest i reckon i won’t do as well because i’ll be so anxious about sitting my exams (i have bad anxiety so i can’t wait to sit those doomed gcses... ahhhh) and so stressed too! so i guess something i have to work on is being confident that i will do well!

i think you’ll be fine though xx
haha yay and thank you!!
work is so boring though... i guess it’s worth it?!
and you wouldn’t want me sitting your gcses - to be honest i reckon i won’t do as well because i’ll be so anxious about sitting my exams (i have bad anxiety so i can’t wait to sit those doomed gcses... ahhhh) and so stressed too! so i guess something i have to work on is being confident that i will do well!

i think you’ll be fine though xx

Ugh, it better be going by how much energy i've wasted eyerolling at my physics book this year.
Aw, sorry to hear about your bad anxiety, but you can really see the growth of your confidence throughout this blog and it's definietely working going by your grades!:smile: Keep working like this and you'll be confident enough that by the time you enter exams there's no room for doubt:smile:
Ahha, let's hope so:wink:
Original post by troubletracking
Ugh, it better be going by how much energy i've wasted eyerolling at my physics book this year.
Aw, sorry to hear about your bad anxiety, but you can really see the growth of your confidence throughout this blog and it's definietely working going by your grades!:smile: Keep working like this and you'll be confident enough that by the time you enter exams there's no room for doubt:smile:
Ahha, let's hope so:wink:

haha! i roll my eyes at physics too lmaoooo
yeah, ive improved a lot this year physically, emotionally and socially so i’m really happy with how much better i’ve been, and my grades have been better too because i enjoy being at school :smile:
so hopefully after 1000000 mocks i’ll be okay!

i’m sure you will be great!!!
i don’t really see a point in updating right now, but i should.

tonight’s been busy and i wasn’t expecting to be productive, but i haven’t got much done and now i’m feeling very stressed about tomorrow - why?

1. the maths test is tomorrow and i only found out about it on sunday, if i’d had more time to prepare i would feel better equipped, but instead i feel like i’ve forgotten half of the content and i’m terrified

2. i just realised i have chemistry homework to watch a 10 minute video and answer 20 long questions on it?! it was set period 5 on friday and it’s due tomorrow, i completely forgot about it and i need to do it or i can’t do the lesson

soo... not being prepared is the problem here and i really wish i’d been warned in advance (like my history teacher, he told me about my mock 3 weeks ago and it’s coming up on friday)

i’m sure i’ll be fine, but i’m desperate to do well in this maths test and the chemistry... we’ll just have to see how kind my teacher is feeling :/ especially after that test last friday i’m not feeling great about chemistry!!

we all have bad days, hopefully i’ll have a productive week though?

good night everyone 😴

clouddbubble's
:claus:random thing for tsr.png:claus:
day 1
English Language
i've chosen this one first to 'get it out of the way'... in english we do different topics at different times so i study english language paper 1 in year 10 and english language paper 2 in year 11, and at other times we study texts and anthologies for english literature. this means i am not currently doing english language, which is why im doing it first!

What have I been doing?
as i said, i was studying english langauge paper 1 up until october half term. we spent our lessons analysing lots of different texts and looking at what the writer is trying to do. we practised exam style questions on each little extract we did. we also had a focus on creative writing and did some tasks to improve the quality of this. we did a walkthrough assesment so we knew what to expect and had lots of resources to practise our skills in preparation for the test

How have I found it?
relatively easy. during my english language lesson i did talk a lot, and didn't get as much as i should have gotten done most of the time. i struggled a bit with the exam style questions at first but soon got into the flow of things. unexpectedly, i flourished in creative writing and did some really nice pieces - particularly one about the atmosphere of a festival.

What could I do better?
not talk! my concentration did lapse a lot! if i had really knuckled down, my classwork would have been of a higher standard. i was comfortable asking my teacher for help but i should improve generating ideas for stories and what i can say when i'm analysing. i also struggle a lot with time management.

Tests? Grades?
we have done one test as of yet, and it was the 9-1 June 2017 English Language Paper 1.
I got 66/80.
In Section A I got 35/40.
Question 1 = 4/4, Question 2 = 8/8, Question 3 = 5/8, Question 4 = 18/20
In Section B I got 31/40
(I can't remember an exact breakdown but if you want to know it just let me know!)
This was overall a grade 9:clap2:

Any last minute reflections?
I did well in this topic, although I could've done more in class. my test was actually surprising! I did not expect to do so well. I don't need to revise much for english language but when i need to, i will go over linguistic and structural technqiues as well as practising exam style questions to ensure i do as well as i did in that test. the lessons could have been more engaging but i did enjoy them!

so, that's day 1 of my 12 days of gcse reflection! i'm pretty chuffed to come up with this idea! do you like it? do you want me to include more? i'm 100% open to feedback with this concept :smile:
do you still want daily updates during this period? i thought i'd stop them for a bit as they can get dull and repetitive!
let me know what you think of this, and i hope you had a good day...

autumn term progress review reaction

so just before i get into it, here's what to expect:
A forecast grade is what im expected to get in my gcse's based on how i've been doing in tests and classwork
an aspirational grade is what i should aspire to attain and what my teachers expect i should be able to achieve if i work hard
i will be colour coding this as well, green is for what im happy with and red is for what i'm disappointed with
i'll also let you know what my progress indicator, whether i'm above, on track or below expected progress...

b i o l o g y
i'm feeling mixed about this, as expected i'm 'below' and after my tragic 60% in the last test i'm pretty happy with the grade but as i want to do medicine i should really aim for a 9!

c h e m i s t r y
feeling similar to how i feel about my biology grades, but i've struggled with my teacher so i don't mind this!

e n g l i s h l a n g u a g e
absolutely thrilled with this! It means i got the highest in the year in that test which makes me feel so so great :d
i really hate english, so i wasn't expecting a 9! I was getting 7's last year!

g e o g r a p h y

h i s t o r y
again, i'm happy with this since i'm struggling mostly with history... I have a mock coming up soon and i'm petrified!
hopefully i have some hidden talent for history and it turns out i'm amazing?!
i wish i'd done better in my 16-mark question because then i could have gotten a 9...

m a t h s
for the first time in foreverrrrrr i'm not below target which is great! I've improved a lot since starting year 10 :smile:
there are still things i'm struggling with, but i'm aiming to revise them so that i get better...
fingers crossed i get that 8 in my gcses because maths is one of, if not the weakest subject of mine :s

gcse p e
i really want an 8, and i'm not going to hide that, but i've improved since year 9 when i was working at a 5/6 so its all good.
i'm going to take future theory exams a lot more seriously and try to get an 8 or 9

p h y s i c s
i'm surprised at this as i haven't done too badly in my recent exams, but it doesn't matter. I need to work hard to do well in physics - it doesn't come naturally to me

r e
disappointed, re is really easy and i should be doing better, but it was my first test exam style so i don't mind, i've got time.
i've still got to get a revision guide for re - my revision for it isn't the best but this should improve

s p a n i s h
in the past i've gotten 100% or just below so to get 91% in this recent test was a bit of a blow, everyone did so well compared to me! I'm not hoping to do spansh any further than a-level so its not the end of the world but i'm capable of a 9 so i feel i should be achieving it

i guess i've done quite well then!
Once i've broken up for christmas i'll try and do an in depth analysis of every subject this term, but hopefully you enjoyed finding out my current grades?!
Hopefully i can get all 8/9's in my gcses :d

slayyyyyyyyyyy
Original post by A.N123
slayyyyyyyyyyy

thank youuuu!

slay slay slayyyyyy

clouddbubble's
:claus:random thing for tsr.png:claus:
day 1
English Language
i've chosen this one first to 'get it out of the way'... in english we do different topics at different times so i study english language paper 1 in year 10 and english language paper 2 in year 11, and at other times we study texts and anthologies for english literature. this means i am not currently doing english language, which is why im doing it first!

What have I been doing?
as i said, i was studying english langauge paper 1 up until october half term. we spent our lessons analysing lots of different texts and looking at what the writer is trying to do. we practised exam style questions on each little extract we did. we also had a focus on creative writing and did some tasks to improve the quality of this. we did a walkthrough assesment so we knew what to expect and had lots of resources to practise our skills in preparation for the test

How have I found it?
relatively easy. during my english language lesson i did talk a lot, and didn't get as much as i should have gotten done most of the time. i struggled a bit with the exam style questions at first but soon got into the flow of things. unexpectedly, i flourished in creative writing and did some really nice pieces - particularly one about the atmosphere of a festival.

What could I do better?
not talk! my concentration did lapse a lot! if i had really knuckled down, my classwork would have been of a higher standard. i was comfortable asking my teacher for help but i should improve generating ideas for stories and what i can say when i'm analysing. i also struggle a lot with time management.

Tests? Grades?
we have done one test as of yet, and it was the 9-1 June 2017 English Language Paper 1.
I got 66/80.
In Section A I got 35/40.
Question 1 = 4/4, Question 2 = 8/8, Question 3 = 5/8, Question 4 = 18/20
In Section B I got 31/40
(I can't remember an exact breakdown but if you want to know it just let me know!)
This was overall a grade 9:clap2:

Any last minute reflections?
I did well in this topic, although I could've done more in class. my test was actually surprising! I did not expect to do so well. I don't need to revise much for english language but when i need to, i will go over linguistic and structural technqiues as well as practising exam style questions to ensure i do as well as i did in that test. the lessons could have been more engaging but i did enjoy them!

so, that's day 1 of my 12 days of gcse reflection! i'm pretty chuffed to come up with this idea! do you like it? do you want me to include more? i'm 100% open to feedback with this concept :smile:
do you still want daily updates during this period? i thought i'd stop them for a bit as they can get dull and repetitive!
let me know what you think of this, and i hope you had a good day...

love this idea xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending