The Student Room Group

Ridiculously lonely.

I'm at a stage in my life (20's) where most of my friends have graduated/got jobs/settled down. Quite a few are engaged, some have kids, some are married. Vast majority have their own place - even if it's rented.

I'm doing my Phd, still in the student life and single. I'm in my last year and since the last boyfriend I had left me emotionally destroyed (which set me back in my career), I decided that a relationship could not happen again until I finish uni completely. So I've put my life on hold for years. I haven't dated/been out with any one. Most of my friends have left our uni town.

So I find myself alone - no significant other and barely any friends. I don't really have family apart from my parents who live miles and miles away.

I just feel very alone. Societies etc don't work at my age - everyone is 18-21 and there's not much in common. I don't have the time or money to socialize much due to work and uni commitments.

I feel like life won't start until I've finished uni and get into my field and by the time I do I'll be very inexperienced in the dating game and have virtually no friends.

Looking around at my contemporaries who are working makes me feel completely abnormal. Someone at work who is pregnant asked me "how many kids do you want'' and I just came up with a socially appropriate light hearted answer but it killed me. I'm nowhere near that point in life - I haven't even been on a date in 3 years, never mind found a guy to settle with/get a house with/have kids with. I just don't even see that as a reality anymore. I honestly feel like I'm going to be alone my entire life and it's making me depressed.
How long do you have left doing your PhD?
I'm 22, just started a degree, single, don't go out drinking/partying any more, have zero social life apart from work and I have no interest or intention in having children. I don't think you're abnormal - just everyone's different. As long as you feel content in your life and you continue working towards that PhD, then that's fab! If you're not happy with how you're living life, find out what's causing you to feel so miserable and work out how you plan on making a change to improve your life. All the power and control is in your hands and it's up to you to improve things for yourself if you're unhappy. Forget about dating; the more you focus on yourself and improving your life, the sooner dating will come around and you'll be way more attractive because you're settled and happy with yourself. People are attracted to independent and happy people! Just remember that nothing is permanent, life is ever changing and that either turns in your favour or against it, but just know, things will always change and open up new doors for you in the future.

Original post by Anonymous
I'm at a stage in my life (20's) where most of my friends have graduated/got jobs/settled down. Quite a few are engaged, some have kids, some are married. Vast majority have their own place - even if it's rented.

I'm doing my Phd, still in the student life and single. I'm in my last year and since the last boyfriend I had left me emotionally destroyed (which set me back in my career), I decided that a relationship could not happen again until I finish uni completely. So I've put my life on hold for years. I haven't dated/been out with any one. Most of my friends have left our uni town.

So I find myself alone - no significant other and barely any friends. I don't really have family apart from my parents who live miles and miles away.

I just feel very alone. Societies etc don't work at my age - everyone is 18-21 and there's not much in common. I don't have the time or money to socialize much due to work and uni commitments.

I feel like life won't start until I've finished uni and get into my field and by the time I do I'll be very inexperienced in the dating game and have virtually no friends.

Looking around at my contemporaries who are working makes me feel completely abnormal. Someone at work who is pregnant asked me "how many kids do you want'' and I just came up with a socially appropriate light hearted answer but it killed me. I'm nowhere near that point in life - I haven't even been on a date in 3 years, never mind found a guy to settle with/get a house with/have kids with. I just don't even see that as a reality anymore. I honestly feel like I'm going to be alone my entire life and it's making me depressed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending