The Student Room Group

Joining Army Age 27 - Tips/Advice?

I am 27 and start training in a few weeks. I've been planning on saying that for about 10 years but it is only happening now due to me messing up when i was younger and ending up in Young Offenders. I've had to wait until now to show that I can stay out of trouble and I know I really want to do well.

For anybody whose been through training>

I know at 27 I'll probably be one of the oldest recruits - from what I've been at so far most of the others lads were probably teenagers. Do there be many people my age? Is it harder/easier being a bit older?

Would any of the training staff be around my age or would they be older?

Do the training staff know much about you or just what you tell them?

Dis you know if anybody else talked/found out if they had a criminal record - would it be a big deal?

Did you miss girlfriend/home much when you were in training?

Are you allowed smoke during training or is it looked on as bad to be smoking?

Did anybody leave during training or anybody hey kicked out?
Reply 1
Original post by Carl18
I am 27 and start training in a few weeks. I've been planning on saying that for about 10 years but it is only happening now due to me messing up when i was younger and ending up in Young Offenders. I've had to wait until now to show that I can stay out of trouble and I know I really want to do well.

For anybody whose been through training>

I know at 27 I'll probably be one of the oldest recruits - from what I've been at so far most of the others lads were probably teenagers. Do there be many people my age? Is it harder/easier being a bit older?
-Yes and no, they have more maturity to deal with stuff and get stuff done. You probably won't be he oldest either as on my basic 2 years ago there were 2 32 year old blokes who passed it. There were a good 5-6 who were late 20's as well.

Would any of the training staff be around my age or would they be older?
- More than likely, one of our corporals was 24

Do the training staff know much about you or just what you tell them?
-Just what you tell them/what you out on your application

Dis you know if anybody else talked/found out if they had a criminal record - would it be a big deal?
-If you tell them in your application, no. If you don't and it gets found out at a later date then yes, s**t will hit the fan.

Did you miss girlfriend/home much when you were in training?
-Yes but you can call them often

Are you allowed smoke during training or is it looked on as bad to be smoking?
-Not really as half my intake Did, more by the end!

Did anybody leave during training or anybody hey kicked out?

-Yep, had 5-6 leave as they couldn't hack it/injury and 2 got booted for drugs (phase 2)

If you go in go for engineering or something that gets you a trade.and some quals like REME/RE. You at least then have something to show from being endlessly messed around for.4 years

Edit: most of my reply is in the quote bit for some reason
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest