The Student Room Group

Dating age gaps?

I just saw this thread of a 16 year old girl being in a relationship with a 20 year old dude.

It got me wondering, what would you say is a tolerable age gap?

Personally I think 2 people who are over 20-25 can be whatever age they want (granted some differences can be weird, like a 25 year old seeing a 45 year old), but what about the teen years?

I see people in that thread calling the dude a paedo. If they're happy, so what?

I just turned 18 and I'm seeing a 16.5 year old. Been on 4 'dates' and it's going well. I just came upon that thread and I started getting really self conscious, because the girl I'm seeing is quite a bit younger lol.

Thoughts?
i think the people who were calling the 20 yr old a pedo was just trying to protect the 16 yr old just in case she was endangering herself
I think age gaps are fine as long as it's legal (over 16) and both people are consenting. In that case, I don't see any issue. Age is just a number, and many successful relationships take place with far bigger age gaps than just four years, let alone two. My parents are 16 years apart but the effects from that are only positive.
I don’t believe in dating till after 18 as before that you really should still be working on school but I think age gaps are acceptable as long as you are both mature enough to be dating each other except I don’t like the idea of 80 year olds dating 20 year olds just as that’s just slightly odd as it they are old enough to be your grandparent that’s just weird
Reply 4
Simple
If she's legal bang her if she's not then next her
Reply 5
I think it's relative to the person's age tbh.

16 to me is too young because I'm 23 but at 18, I'd probably allow it. As you get older, the age gap gets less significant (e.g. 27 and 37).
Reply 6
Original post by Ezio_
Simple
If she's legal bang her if she's not then next her

If you live like that you're not gonna get far
Reply 7
Original post by UWS
I think it's relative to the person's age tbh.

16 to me is too young because I'm 23 but at 18, I'd probably allow it. As you get older, the age gap gets less significant (e.g. 27 and 37).

I can agree with that
The rule is +-2 from ages 16-20. Under 16 date their own age, 20+ date 20+
Original post by Xopher_
I just saw this thread of a 16 year old girl being in a relationship with a 20 year old dude.

Personally I think 2 people who are over 20-25 can be whatever age they want (granted some differences can be weird, like a 25 year old seeing a 45 year old), but what about the teen years?

I see people in that thread calling the dude a paedo. If they're happy, so what?

I just turned 18 and I'm seeing a 16.5 year old. Been on 4 'dates' and it's going well. I just came upon that thread and I started getting really self conscious, because the girl I'm seeing is quite a bit younger lol.

Thoughts?

Original post by CompSci in2k17
The rule is +-2 from ages 16-20. Under 16 date their own age, 20+ date 20+

i thought it was just a general 0.5 of your age +7
I would say if you're both over 18, anywhere between 7 years is decent. too big an age gap and you will be a widow/widower young... unless youre only doing it cos youre gonna get a fantastic inheritance then by all means go ahead

Spoiler

In my opinion, Under 16 1yr+-, 16-20 2yr+-, 20+ 20+
Original post by Xopher_

Thoughts?

lol I'm 24 and my partner is 43
Original post by Xopher_

Thoughts?

One day is the max

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending