The Student Room Group

Failed my driving test more times than you can imagine

I'm too embarrassed to say how many times Ive failed my driving test.
I can drive ! I drive absolutely fine with my instructor and that he said I Should be getting no minors.

I drive with my dad all the time around my town and to different cities.

But, I cannot pass my test. I don't want people saying I shouldn't be on the road because I can drive. I get so nervous during my test. For instance, I got nervous doing a reverse around the corner today but because he wouldn't let me pull forward and try again he failed me.

How do I get over my nerves. I'm struggling to get a job because of this as my town is so small.

Thank you .
Honestly, I believe your motive should be the best way to overcome this nervousness.

Just know the moment you pass, you’re done!
And a free bird to drive solo with no more test!! 👌🏼
I probably failed it more times than you have , defiantly above average ! It was the nerves that killed me every time , just cannot handle those conditions , driving alone is not the issue. I understand you completely .
I just concentrated so hard at the task at hand, think about each thing one at a time. Take your time , breath (I don’t think it did this enough), focus . Feel free to send me a PM if you need to talk more . You WILL get there , just need to work with the nerves not against them . Xox
You underestimate my imagination.

Original post by Charlotteholly25
I can drive ! I drive absolutely fine with my instructor and that he said I Should be getting no minors.

But, I cannot pass my test. I don't want people saying I shouldn't be on the road because I can drive. I get so nervous during my test. For instance, I got nervous doing a reverse around the corner today but because he wouldn't let me pull forward and try again he failed me.

How do I get over my nerves. I'm struggling to get a job because of this as my town is so small.

Thank you .

Most people who are test ready can "drive" - it's likely your examiner failed you because you finished your reverse on the opposite side of the road or mounted the curb, which will fail you. It's a minor if you're on the correct side, but wide of the curb. That is probably why he didn't let you fix it, he deemed it potentially dangerous to let you attempt that manoever again. I have no doubt your forward driving and awareness is good if that's your most memorable fail instance, just need to take more time with your manoeuvers then you'll pass.

Also remember, whilst you might think examiners are inexplicably harsh. Remember you have spent hours and hours with your instructor. I pulled some incredibly dangerous moves once every like few lessons with my instructor before I passed but none dangerous enough for him to say "Ok please swap seats, I am going to end the lesson here". Because he knows when we would be talking a lot; I was prone to lapses in conversation in our earlier days but otherwise was not an overall unsafe driver if I just opened my big flippin brown eyes. Your examiner does not have the remit to give you the same benefit of the doubt; if they see you do something serious or dangerous; they don't know whether you're capable of making good on it, and they can't risk allowing it.
(edited 6 years ago)
buy a new car and learn to drive fool
reliant-robin-56840b5d4f731-56896b2e92062.jpg I recommend this motor
First time round, I went in thinking, this does not matter at all, I have more important things to worry about (which I genuinly did). People used to make fun of me cause I couldn't drive at nearly 21, but I just hadn't had the chance (I did a bit of travelling) to learn how to drive. Passed first time round in an area where 1st time pass % is very low, my mum passed fifth time round (she is a perfectionist, works hard rather than smart). I honestly think if you pay too much attention to all the rules and regulations you will be too nervous to have a good chance to pass.
Reply 8
Original post by Charlotteholly25

Thank you .

What part of the test do you get most nervous during?
What was it about the reverse around the corner you found most daunting?
So long as you do everything slowly and check your mirrors and stop if you see someone then there is no need to fail you.
If you think the examiner is being unfair or your driving instructor doesn't understand then you can always ask to have your instructor sat in the back of the car when you're doing the test.

As far as getting a job is concerned you should be able to find SOMETHING irrespective of the size of your town. I grew up in Lichfield, Staffordshire and I had a job - and I'd love to know of a town smaller or more rubbish than that.
Original post by Clez
So long as you do everything slowly and check your mirrors and stop if you see someone then there is no need to fail you.
If you think the examiner is being unfair or your driving instructor doesn't understand then you can always ask to have your instructor sat in the back of the car when you're doing the test.

As far as getting a job is concerned you should be able to find SOMETHING irrespective of the size of your town. I grew up in Lichfield, Staffordshire and I had a job - and I'd love to know of a town smaller or more rubbish than that.

To be honest, Steyning and Moreton on Marsh come to mind. In fact, Moreton is so bad just-eat don't even deliver there.
Original post by blobblob999
buy a new car and learn to drive fool

I Have got a car and I have been learning ... fool
Reply 11
Original post by Clez

I am growing up in Lichfield (I'm almost 19 now) and I have found it impossible to get a job here so I've had to work in Burton for the last 2 years where I've been going to college for the past 2 and a half years also. In relation to this thread, I have actually got my 3rd driving test tomorrow and I feel as though if I fail again I am going to have no future when I leave college and my part time job!
Reply 12
Original post by hev1999
I am growing up in Lichfield (I'm almost 19 now) and I have found it impossible to get a job here so I've had to work in Burton for the last 2 years where I've been going to college for the past 2 and a half years also. In relation to this thread, I have actually got my 3rd driving test tomorrow and I feel as though if I fail again I am going to have no future when I leave college and my part time job!

Hi, sorry I took like a month to reply to this.

Findind a job around Lichfield is hard if you don't know where to look, but its a lot easier if you can drive and can easily get to pubs or shops in the surrounding villages and towns or industrial parks like at Fradley or Tamworth. At least that way you don't have to witness the depressing nature of Burton on Trent or brave the A38 rush hour.

How did your 3rd driving test go? I was taught to drive about 8 years ago by a guy called Andy Wall. If you're still having trouble, I'd suggest going to see him, he's the best in town.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Supernova36
I probably failed it more times than you have , defiantly above average ! It was the nerves that killed me every time , just cannot handle those conditions , driving alone is not the issue. I understand you completely .
I just concentrated so hard at the task at hand, think about each thing one at a time. Take your time , breath (I don’t think it did this enough), focus . Feel free to send me a PM if you need to talk more . You WILL get there , just need to work with the nerves not against them . Xox

Original post by singhaman
First time round, I went in thinking, this does not matter at all, I have more important things to worry about (which I genuinly did). People used to make fun of me cause I couldn't drive at nearly 21, but I just hadn't had the chance (I did a bit of travelling) to learn how to drive. Passed first time round in an area where 1st time pass % is very low, my mum passed fifth time round (she is a perfectionist, works hard rather than smart). I honestly think if you pay too much attention to all the rules and regulations you will be too nervous to have a good chance to pass.

I know this post is old. But I wanted to ask, how many minors are you allowed in one box before if become a serious? Eg 5 minors in one box?!
Original post by MKaur18
I know this post is old. But I wanted to ask, how many minors are you allowed in one box before if become a serious? Eg 5 minors in one box?!

Examiner's discretion. Rule of thumb though after 3 or 4 you'll end up with a serious, but I've seen a test report of someone who came to me after failing his first test with 6 in mirrors before signalling and no serious, but without being there at the time I wouldn't know why this didn't translate to a serious other than the driving faults being for slightly different situations where mirrors should have been checked.
Original post by EvilShubunkin
Examiner's discretion. Rule of thumb though after 3 or 4 you'll end up with a serious, but I've seen a test report of someone who came to me after failing his first test with 6 in mirrors before signalling and no serious, but without being there at the time I wouldn't know why this didn't translate to a serious other than the driving faults being for slightly different situations where mirrors should have been checked.

3 or 4?

So 3, I'm assuming?!
Original post by MKaur18
3 or 4?

So 3, I'm assuming?!

No, there's no set number. Hence "examiner's discretion".

Aim for zero in a box and you'll be just fine.
Original post by EvilShubunkin
No, there's no set number. Hence "examiner's discretion".

Aim for zero in a box and you'll be just fine.

Oh okay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending