The Student Room Group

Should I get a part time job while doing my A-levels?

Hi
I'm currently in year 13 and I was wondering if I should get a part time job to help out my family.

Would it be manageable or should I wait till I complete my exams?
Does anyone have a part time job and what are your thoughts on it?
How are you finding your current workload now? If you are struggling at the moment, a part time job might make things worse. If you are finding it manageable, you could look for a weekend job.
Reply 2
If you can live without the money and are finding the workload difficult, then no. If you need the money and are doing well with the workload, yes.

I'm also in Year 13. I was doing 18 hours a week during Year 12 and genuinely found it fine, it didn't affect my work at all. This year, I was doing 10 hours and was getting so stressed and falling behind with work that I've had to cut down to 7. That being said, on 7 hours a week I'm absolutely fine and it's nice getting a bit of money every month.

However, you will struggle to find a job that will hire you for less than a 12 hour contract. I was lucky that I'm with a very flexible, small family business. If you're with a big company you will likely find yourself on far more hours than you might have wanted.

If you want one, I'd get a job soon as possible and then keep it until April/May latest which will give you some time without a job to revise before exams and then get another one after A-Levels are over.

Hope this helps X
Original post by cheesecakelove
How are you finding your current workload now? If you are struggling at the moment, a part time job might make things worse. If you are finding it manageable, you could look for a weekend job.

I can cope with the workload at the moment but I don't know what it will be like closer to the exams. I'm done with my UCAS application now and my mocks are not until March.
Is a weekend job better or and evening once a week?
Original post by Just Somebody
Hi
I'm currently in year 13 and I was wondering if I should get a part time job to help out my family.

If you have no work experience then yes or at least do some voluntary work
Hi

If you can cope with it, then go for it. I know someone who’s doing 21 hours a week in my year (year 12) and is still smashing it.
I can cope with the workload at the moment but I don't know what it will be like closer to the exams. I'm done with my UCAS application now and my mocks are not until March.
Is a weekend job better or and evening once a week?

Normally you might find you have more work trying to revise near exam time, but again, it depends on how you manage your time. What kind of part time work are you looking for? You might find you can swap shifts near exam time to make it easier for your revision.
Reply 7
a job looks great on a CV and employers will like people who have had a bit of experience in the work place
I'm currently in Year 13 and I volunteer for 5 hours a week as I can't find a part time job with suitable hours (my sixth form recommends not working more than 8 hours a week). If you can't find something that suits you I would recommend at least volunteering to get some experience which will make it easier for you to get a job after your exams.
Original post by cheesecakelove
Normally you might find you have more work trying to revise near exam time, but again, it depends on how you manage your time. What kind of part time work are you looking for? You might find you can swap shifts near exam time to make it easier for your revision.

I was thinking of working in a local supermarket or retail shop to earn some money just to help my parents out. Or maybe help out at a tuition centre for GCSE students.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm currently in Year 13 and I volunteer for 5 hours a week as I can't find a part time job with suitable hours (my sixth form recommends not working more than 8 hours a week). If you can't find something that suits you I would recommend at least volunteering to get some experience which will make it easier for you to get a job after your exams.

Are you volunteering to get work experience or so you can get a job at the end? I was hoping to get a job so I can earn some money to help my family a bit.
Original post by lowza
If you can live without the money and are finding the workload difficult, then no. If you need the money and are doing well with the workload, yes.

I'm also in Year 13. I was doing 18 hours a week during Year 12 and genuinely found it fine, it didn't affect my work at all. This year, I was doing 10 hours and was getting so stressed and falling behind with work that I've had to cut down to 7. That being said, on 7 hours a week I'm absolutely fine and it's nice getting a bit of money every month.

However, you will struggle to find a job that will hire you for less than a 12 hour contract. I was lucky that I'm with a very flexible, small family business. If you're with a big company you will likely find yourself on far more hours than you might have wanted.

If you want one, I'd get a job soon as possible and then keep it until April/May latest which will give you some time without a job to revise before exams and then get another one after A-Levels are over.

Hope this helps X

I'll see if I can find something that is 6-8 hours a week. If not, I think I should just wait until my exams are over.
Thanks for the help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending